Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i
Suggestions for Aftermarket Battery

My 2011 X5 50i has a 2 1/2 year old BMW (by Exide) AGM 92ah 850cca 160rc battery. I'm going to replace it myself prior to going in for the N63 Campaign.

Reading the Battery TSB for the X5, my year cannot accept the upgrade to the 105ah battery like those produced after 10/2011.

I think it takes size 49? But don't specifically see that on the battery.

I've found a couple locally:

Sears Diehard Advanced Gold AGM 850cca 170rc
36mo replacement warranty
@$189 from Sears

Interstate MT5-49/H8 AGM 900cca 160rc
30 month replacement warranty
@ $265 from an Interstate store

Do I need to go/call to confirm amp hours (ah)? Or does anyone know or have a source? Will it be marked on the battery itself? ('cuz I can't seem to get a human on the phone at Sears)

Does anyone know if these have vent hose connection in same spot?

Any other suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	500032

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0198.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	500033
2014 Toyota Sienna Ltd AWD
(detect a pattern....we like AWD)
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2015, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: xDrive 50i
Why not go with an Exide battery? If a dealer replaces the battery it will either be with a Douglas or an Exide. Many of the batteries that others sell for a BMW is actually an Exide; they look identical. Some of the batteries were either missing the vent line or was on the wrong side. Some were correct and would just drop right in.

So, if you go the Exide route or even the Douglas, it will fit correctly and you don't need to go to the BMW dealer to get them.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:21 PM

I'd consider Exide if I could find anyone local that sells them. So far no luck...

Was liking the Autozone Duralast Platinum until I saw where Consumer Reports failed them in a March 2015 edition.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:31 PM

http://www.exide.com/us/en/product-s...%20NC&miles=50
Old 03-27-2015, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn90 View Post
...Was liking the Autozone Duralast Platinum until I saw where Consumer Reports failed them in a March 2015 edition.
East Penn manufactures both the BMW replacement and Autozone batteries.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

Reading the Battery TSB for the X5, my year cannot accept the upgrade to the 105ah battery like those produced after 10/2011.
Really???

Technically I wonder how the larger capacity wouldnt work.

Not doubting the TSB says 'earlier cars have no setting'..just wondering if that is of any consequence. But then again, BMW has down some mighty stupid stuff with charging!
Old 03-28-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
Thanks, I'd used that to search Exide dealers out to 25mi and no Auto Parts stores had come up, just Dicks Sporting Goods, Home Depot, and Kenworth Truck dealers which I assume are different battery types. 50 miles did get a few independent auto parts stores to come up. Not sure that's the level of availability I'd want come time to test & replace it.

Last edited by Longhorn90; 03-28-2015 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Really???

Not doubting the TSB says 'earlier cars have no setting'..just wondering if that is of any consequence. But then again, BMW has down some mighty stupid stuff with charging!
Yeah, seems odd. But they were rather specific about it.

And I'd hate for my warranty company to be able to use a Service Tech's note about 'wrong battery' to deny some sort of electrical related claim down the road.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:06 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Really???

When I had my N63 campaign performed, I asked the same question, because I "demanded" a 105Ah battery, thinking it would be "better" than my OE 92Ah.

The answer from my trusted tech was:

According to SI B61 30 14

" ... Vehicles with N63 engines require additional cooling capacity, and the activation of the various cooling system components places additional demands on the battery.

Several enhancements have been made to the power management system on such vehicles. If the vehicle is an E70 or E71 and was produced prior to 10/2011, replace the battery with the 90Ah battery ...(there's another SIB that instructs the dealers to install a 92Ah battery in place of the 90Ah)"

He also said that cars build prior to 10/2011 simply where not "programmed" to charge a 105Ah battery. Under-charging is just as bad as over-charging ...

So get the correct rated Ah battery for your year:

- any trusted name brand. Go by the manufacturer name, not the private label name (Exide is one of them, East Penn is another)
- must be AGM (AGM invention is no longer under patent protection, so everyone now uses some variation of it. Quality of materials used is what differentiates one manufacturer from another)
- 92Ah
- 850cca
- 160rc

BTW, these statements and the SIB are my reason for believing that the battery replacement is directly related to the N63 campaign
BMWCCA #20645
Old 03-28-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Really???

If you read the bulletin, on some vehicles the larger battery requires different clamps. The E70's (and E71's) produced prior to 10/2011 cannot accept the 105 Ah. So if might be a physical reason and not a logical reason. They could have altered the battery box after 10/2011 or made some other change.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I'd used that to search Exide dealers out to 25mi and no Auto Parts stores had come up, just Dicks Sporting Goods, Home Depot, and Kenworth Truck dealers which I assume are different battery types. 50 miles did get a few independent auto parts stores to come up. Not sure that's the level of availability I'd want come time to test & replace it.
Any Exide dealer can order the battery. As I previously mentioned, the Exide battery for BMW is used by others. When you look at them, they look the same, just a different label.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
When I had my N63 campaign performed, I asked the same question, because I "demanded" a 105Ah battery, thinking it would be "better" than my OE 92Ah.

The answer from my trusted tech was:

According to SI B61 30 14

" ... Vehicles with N63 engines require additional cooling capacity, and the activation of the various cooling system components places additional demands on the battery.

Several enhancements have been made to the power management system on such vehicles. If the vehicle is an E70 or E71 and was produced prior to 10/2011, replace the battery with the 90Ah battery ...(there's another SIB that instructs the dealers to install a 92Ah battery in place of the 90Ah)"

He also said that cars build prior to 10/2011 simply where not "programmed" to charge a 105Ah battery. Under-charging is just as bad as over-charging ...

So get the correct rated Ah battery for your year:

- any trusted name brand. Go by the manufacturer name, not the private label name (Exide is one of them, East Penn is another)
- must be AGM (AGM invention is no longer under patent protection, so everyone now uses some variation of it. Quality of materials used is what differentiates one manufacturer from another)
- 92Ah
- 850cca
- 160rc

BTW, these statements and the SIB are my reason for believing that the battery replacement is directly related to the N63 campaign
But then bmw is saying. Those folks with pre 10/2011 builds are just SOL? Smaller battery is ok? Won't cause a repeat of the injector failure and timing chain wear?

I am VERY suspicious of 'tech guidance' from SAs or even bmw techs. Printed bmw docs are slightly more reliable...slightly. Too much nonsense being spun into a 'story'

If you recall the reason to replace the battery annually is 'customer satisfaction'.. No other reason given.

I still don't understand the technical reason a higher capacity battery wouldn't work, although I haven't seen the battery size choices on a pre '11 battery programming page..we don't have good tech documents on the ridiculous bmw charging/management algorithms. Attributing some deep hocus pouseur to this algirithm should be done with caution, IMO

. And if it is a size thing, who cares? if it fits, fine.
My 2 cents
Old 03-28-2015, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
But then bmw is saying. Those folks with pre 10/2011 builds are just SOL? Smaller battery is ok? Won't cause a repeat of the injector failure and timing chain wear?

I am VERY suspicious of 'tech guidance' from SAs or even bmw techs. Printed bmw docs are slightly more reliable...slightly. Too much nonsense being spun into a 'story'

If you recall the reason to replace the battery annually is 'customer satisfaction'.. No other reason given.

I still don't understand the technical reason a higher capacity battery wouldn't work, although I haven't seen the battery size choices on a pre '11 battery programming page..we don't have good tech documents on the ridiculous bmw charging/management algorithms. Attributing some deep hocus pouseur to this algirithm should be done with caution, IMO

My 2 cents
I agree. It is still lead acid battery. I don't think Lead acid is that sensitive to charging current and voltage as other battery technology. Its one of the reason why cheap Car still like them. I believe BMW add all this complexity to the charging system because they want to stretch the battery life beyond 4 years so they don't have to cover that during warranty period.

I am going to replace my battery at 3 years time. I found a poor battery cause more headache than a good solid battery. Its a wear item.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i GT xDrive
Quote:

My 2 cents
That's what I say. Size doesn't matter. Happiness is a tight seal the walrus said.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I am VERY suspicious of 'tech guidance' from SAs or even bmw techs. Printed bmw docs are slightly more reliable...slightly. Too much nonsense being spun into a 'story'.........
ARD, the guidance to NOT upgrade the 90ah (92ah) batteries in pre-10/11 E70's IS written in BMW Docs. PAX5 only included a partial excerpt of the 'SI B61 30 14' Battery Replacement TSB. The whole relevant section reads:
Replace the battery with a 105ah battery (this is an upgrade from the originally fitted 90ah battery). Refer to ISTA Repair Instruction 61 21 010, "Remove and install or replace battery" and proceed to step 5b. The following exceptions apply:
If the vehicle is an E70 or E71 and was produced prior to 10/2011, replace the battery with the 90ah battery and proceed to step 5a (these vehicles cannot accept a battery upgrade to 105ah).

(bolding by me, not BMW)
While it also doesn't seem logical to me, I' m not going to take chance they actually did have a credible reason.

----------------

OK, found that Batteries Plus carries Duracell Ultra Platinum 'SLI49AGM' made by East Penn (Penn Deka) for $198 and it has a 48mo replacement guarantee. 850cca, 92ah, 170rc. And they have a nice, new Jan2015 date coded one sitting there...

That's probably the route I'll go......unless someone here knows anything bad about that plan.

Last edited by Longhorn90; 03-28-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:41 AM

That is the Douglas battery (they were bought by East Penn) and is OE in many BMW's.

For the typical lead acid battery, there are many manufacturers. For the AGM, there are only a few. So when you're looking for an AGM, many are just rebranded.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:

OK, found that Batteries Plus carries Duracell Ultra Platinum 'SLI49AGM' made by East Penn (Penn Deka) for $198 and it has a 48mo replacement guarantee. 850cca, 92ah, 170rc. And they have a nice, new Jan2015 date coded one sitting there...

That's probably the route I'll go......unless someone here knows anything bad about that plan.
Go for it!

Good price btw.

Are you going to install it 24 hrs before you drop your car in for the N63 campaign, and let (or ask) BMW to register the battery for you?
BMWCCA #20645
Old 03-28-2015, 11:55 AM

No, I bought a BMWhat OBDII wifi device and figure registering the battery is a good way to figure it out.

....hopefully without mucking up coding to where some sort of rain sensing wiper controller rolls down the windows every time it rains
Old 03-28-2015, 01:01 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
East Penn manufactures both the BMW replacement and Autozone batteries.
+1.

I live about 10 miles from the East Penn Mfg battery plant. The battery I'd choose for my E70 is the 9AGM49.

They sell "blems" for about $100. Same warranty as new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
]
Quote:
ARD, the guidance to NOT upgrade the 90ah (92ah) batteries in pre-10/11 E70's IS written in BMW Docs. PAX5 only included a partial excerpt of the 'SI B61 30 14' Battery Replacement TSB. T.
I was primarily referencing his second part, which I quoted above

I have no doubt BMW put it in the SIB. I dont believe there is a good, credible reason a higher capacity can't be used. 92 amp hour versus 105 amp hour.

As you note it says they "CANNOT ACCEPT", not that "it should not be done" nor "it will cause problems". Can be as simple as they dont have the software with that setting or the clamp isnt right.

Just becuase we dont know does NOT mean we should assume it is a risk.

Its like BMW recommending that run flats never be repaired. How many people just shell out $400 and say "well, BMW must have a credible reason, I for one will not take the risk with my _____ [family, dog, girlfriend] in the car"