Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: '93 850Ci, '97 328is,
headlight/High beam issue

97 328,

When I turn the engine on, the daytime running lights do not come on.
when I select the headlight switch to on, the lowbeams come on, and the fog/driving lights come on if selected. if I shut the car off with the headlights on, there is no buzzer.
If I flick the switch to high beam, the fog/driving lights shut off, the high beam indicator in the dash lights, but the headlights stay on low...

I think the headlight switch is ok (it turns them on and off, but there is no buzzer)
I think the hi/lo switch is ok, when I select to hi, the fog lights shut off, and the dash hi indicator lights up

The low beam relay should drop out when the highbeams are selected, and the high beam relay should close...but the low stays in, and the high doesn't close...I have pulled the low beam relay, and switched it for similar, it appears to be working, I bought a new high beam relay (with daytime running lights), thinking that was the issue, $170 later, still no high beams....

Any other ideas? any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by Sundancer; 03-15-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2012, 10:33 AM

Any comments?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Did you read my answer to your other post on this same issue?

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Didn't you post essentially the same question in another thread? And didn't I reply that it was most likely the switch itself? They start coming apart internally when the wonderful German plastic begins breaking down. The little pieces of plastic then force some contacts closed, and won't allow others to make contact. I've had two of them do that. The first time I had parked the car one evening, shut everything off, came in the house, looked back, and the headlights were on again. Just the headlights. The switch felt odd when I tried to turn it off again (it had sprung backwards about half a position). I took it apart and sure enough, the detent ring (white-ish plastic) was broken all to pieces. Replaced the switch with a used spare, about 6 months later it did the same thing. This time only one headlight would work. Bought a new switch from Pelican Parts, all has been good since.

Edit: this is why you shouldn't shotgun the same question in multiple locations on a forum.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Last edited by hornhospital; 03-15-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM

My other thread was titled relay compatibity, as i thought that was the problem, it appears it isn't....I assumed the switch was ok, as the lights do come one and off, just the highbeams don't come on...the dimmer works, or so i thought, because the high beam icon lights up, so there is closing of that circuit..
Old 03-15-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
Did you read my answer to your other post on this same issue?
I did read of your reference to the maxbimmer site, and gave it a cursory look, I'll go again, and look a little deeper...
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM

My apologies, I didn't realize I was "shotgunning" the same issue, one post had to do with the car after an accident, one was the compatibility of a relay, and this post, describing the headlight issue.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
FYI: The fog lights are designed to turn off when the high beams are engaged. That is how virtually all cars with fog lights are designed.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
WARNING: Has Dumb Ideas

Mein Auto: 97 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
FYI: The fog lights are designed to turn off when the high beams are engaged. That is how virtually all cars with fog lights are designed.
assuming they're factory or properly installed aftermarket.

Sidenote: this is a good indication of whether the ass in the oncoming lane is driving with his brights in my face or if he's just got annoyingly bright/misaimed low beams. If his fogs are on likely his low beams are.

Project List:
Replace coolant temp sensor
Replace starter
Brake and Power Steering Fluid Flush
Front Control Arms, Bushings, and Tie Rods
Replace Passenger Lock Actuator
Reglue Peeling Hedliner
Swirl removal
Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
In my description, when i describe the foglights turning off, it was in support of the switch being ok, as the fog lights do turn off, not an indication that something was wrong....
Old 03-15-2012, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
i just bought a new switch from BMW $68.09.