Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Exclamation A 325i Undercared for :(

Ok. so I bought a 2002 bmw 325i in late decmeber of 2011, with 136k miles. Upon taking leave in Feburary I had been passing a semi when my wife had started freaking out becaus of on coming traffic. I was in 3rd gear at 5k rpm's. When the screaming had started it startled me and i drop the gear into 1st. There is a ticking sound which i believe to be a valve tapping. There are a mass of codes being sent by the ECU. The fist code was a MAF sensor. i was told it would correct itself but after 5 days i gave in and replaced the MAF sensor Thanks to Am AutoParts. Also noted i don't run the stock air intake, I've got the K&N Cold air intake. The MAF sonsor didnt correct the problem so i checked my spark plugs. The 1st cylinder was coated with fuel, so i replaced all of the plugs. Problem still not corrected. Now at this point i found cylinder 1 has a missfire so i changed the ignition coil. still no fix. Now as of Sunday March 18 2012 i have driven the car around my parking lot twice once i parked the car and shut it off i then went to restart it and nothing happened. The starter didn't even engage. what should i do i love this car first BMW i've had and i have limited time in the US I am to PSC to Germany. PLEASE HELP

THANK YOU
-Mark
Ads by Google
Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have performed what is sometimes called the "money shift". If the engine was over-revved, the valves and pistons may have collided, resulting in internal engine damage.

Before buying any more parts, I would recommend some basic diagnostic work on the engine. Do a compression test. If you have low compression in one or more cylinders, you may have bent valves or damaged pistons. Next, do a leakdown test. Finally, look inside the cylinders with a boroscope. You may wish to have the last two tests done by a professional BMW technician.

If the engine is OK internally, then proceed with your other diagnosis.

The non-working starter may be simply a depleted battery.

Last edited by alpinweiss; 03-19-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 AM

i will do those test as for the battery its strong and healthy lol i checked the voltage with a volt meter and on the cars computer and they both read the same 12.5
Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by carramrod_91 View Post
i will do those test as for the battery its strong and healthy lol i checked the voltage with a volt meter and on the cars computer and they both read the same 12.5
Measuring voltage doesn`t mean sh!t when there`s no load on the battery. It`s the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) that counts. Lots of older batteries will meter 12+ volts, but have no CCAs available to get the job done.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 AM

In all reality voltage has alot to do with the battery AMPS run on voltage. Voltage is what moves the amps. So what I am getting at is i may be 21 and only have 10 years with being a mechanic but my post are no places for rude ASS COMMENTS. I'm only seeking alittle gudience. GOT IT!!!!!!! One last thing before you try and tell me something that i KNOW for sure is true look it up shoot your already on the internet use it.

Last edited by carramrod_91; 03-20-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: '99 323i
Quote:
In all reality voltage has alot to do with the battery AMPS run on voltage. Voltage is what moves the amps. So what I am getting at is i may be 21 and only have 10 years with being a mechanic but my post are no places for rude ASS COMMENTS. I'm only seeking alittle gudience. GOT IT!!!!!!! One last thing before you try and tell me something that i KNOW for sure is true look it up shoot your already on the internet use it.
I happen to agree with Bob and so will everybody else that knows anything on this forum. I would explain why except I don't want to waste my time educating you. You are the one that is being quite arrogant for someone looking for GUIDANCE. Don't expect much help with that attitude. Good luck.

Look it up on the Internet ??... LMAO. I've been fixing cars before there was an Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Measuring voltage doesn`t mean sh!t when there`s no load .
Oooooo Bob, you swore. Shame on you, there are children present.

Last edited by ckleung100; 03-20-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 AM

There's alot of ****in children on this site. I was only stating what voltage does, and how i only require guidance and im so sorry i typed to fast. Shoot me dead, however, if someone will advise me in the right direction i'll be done with these little problems thank you all.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
There's alot of ****in children on this site. I was only stating what voltage does, and how i only require guidance and im so sorry i typed to fast. Shoot me dead, however, if someone will advise me in the right direction i'll be done with these little problems thank you all.
I think you would be better served over at E46fanatics....

(Don`t let the door hitcha where The Good Lord splitcha)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i, 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I think you would be better served over at E46fanatics....
+1
Also, why on earth are you arguing over a battery? Im going to assume that if you were turning 5 grand in 3rd, and you moneyshifted into 1st, your engine is beyond screwed.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
your valves probably look alot like these

03' 325i ZSP ZPP

Last edited by Toona79; 03-21-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 AM

heres a thought BOB if your going to be no help quit opening your ****in mouth then
Old 03-21-2012, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: '99 323i
Quote:
heres a thought BOB if your going to be no help quit opening your ****in mouth then
You are from the internet generation so let me give you some advice about how to trust what you read on the net.

Bob gave you some sound advice and you chose to yell at him and insult him instead of discussing it or God forbid thanking him.

Quote:
AMPS run on voltage. Voltage is what moves the amps.
I have no clue what the hell that is supposed to mean. FYI, I can produce the same 12v reading on a voltmeter with 8 AA batteries but it's not going to start the car.

I don't know Bob personally or otherwise and I don't speak for him but he has 24,500+ postings on this forum since 2004. That speaks for itself. You have 6 since Monday. Do you really think Bob is an internet troll who's spamming your post?

Some food for thought Sparky. I will quit opening my ****in mouth too now.

Last edited by ckleung100; 03-21-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Welcome

to my ignore list

03' 325i ZSP ZPP
Old 03-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Thisguysuretalksalotofsmackforsomeonewhocan'tdrive amanualandwriteslongincoherentparagraphsoftext.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 03-21-2012, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i, 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
Thisguysuretalksalotofsmackforsomeonewhocan'tdrive amanualandwriteslongincoherentparagraphsoftext.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 06 330cic
Seriuosly?? I'm with ckleung100.
I'm too old to get into internet 'fights'.
Respect the ones who have the knowledge...

'06 330cic
Monaco Blue, ///ZHP, ZPP, ZCW, Hard Top
Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 PM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
V=IR there's you're relationship. Bob happens to be completely right, Resistance is the "load" and will change dependent on a running car or measured across the terminals. I'm swallowing an angry retort based on the belief that you're a bit shocked from learning you may have an EXTENSIVE repair ahead of you. That's your pass, I advise biting down on that ego and stop being so quick to jump to a fight.

Damn, I stopped whipping it out to measure years ago....

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"