Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery > The Travel Forum

The Travel Forum
Planning a trip or have a great travel story? Need travel tips or want to share your experiences (and photos)? Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, the Bimmerfest Travel Forum is your best resource on the Web.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
Itinerary Help: Lake Geneva in Mid April?

I'm doing a short ED next mid-April for F33 and looking for a quick, easy drive. Also, FWIW, even though this will be my 3rd ED, I'm a newbie driving in Europe. My last two ED's, driving was confined to Munich and surrounds. For those familiar with the area and weather that time of year how does this sound:

Day 1: Arrive MUC, P/U car, readjust in Munich (done the tour, probably will go back to the museum though. Really just plan to take it easy).

Day 2: Drive to Lausanne, visit Olympic Mus. and take in the city.

Day 3: Take train to Geneva for day

Day 4: Drive to Strasborg.

Day 5: Drive to Frankfurt, drop off car, taxi to city center to visit museums and see city

Day 6: Depart FRA for US

ED P/U: 5/31/11
On Cargo Ship "Elektra": 6/15/11
Somewhere in NJ: 6/29/11
Redelivery: 7/14/11
Ads by Google
Old 06-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
The Google route from Munich to Lausanne and onwards to Strasbourg takes you through fairly mountainous country. I would expect that in April there will be a chance of winter conditions that will require you to have winter tires. If you dip into Austria you are required to have winter tires from Nov 1 to April 15. You can rent winter tires in Munich but I am not sure how you would return them from Frankfurt. Here is a summary of winter tire requirements in Europe:

http://www.edwintertires.com/eurolaws.htm

Is there any reason why you cannot go in May or, better still, in Sep/Oct when the 2016 MY cars will be available?

Strasbourg and the Route des Vins, which is very scenic, should be less likely to have winter conditions in April. But it is impossible to predict what weather you will get. Between Lausanne and Strasbourg, on Alsace's Route des Vins, are Mulhouse (fabulous car museum), Colmar (pretty old town and home of the Statue of Liberty sculptor) and Riquewihr (my favorite cute Alsace town). All are worth an hour or two.

If you cannot get winter tires and cannot shift from April why not change your focus to Alsace, the Mosel/Rhine areas and towns such as Wurtzburg (the Residenz), Rothenburg odT and Nuremberg (Nazi Rally Grounds and Documentation Center)?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Why not head first to Lindau, then spend more time in the Alsace region, which is quite beautiful.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 320d, E91 2009
Hi there,
having lived several years in Geneva I can assure you that in a normal april you will not have problems with the weather conditions. Even if you should encounter light snow on the way it will quickly disappear and with brand new tires you should be fine.

The area around Lake Geneva (or Lac Leman if you like) is extremely beautiful in the spring and both Lausanne and Geneva are worth a visit although they are slightly expensive.

Enjoy your trip.