Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery > The Travel Forum

The Travel Forum
Planning a trip or have a great travel story? Need travel tips or want to share your experiences (and photos)? Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, the Bimmerfest Travel Forum is your best resource on the Web.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:22 PM
Not a Bimmer driver anymo

Mein Auto: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Global Entry processing time

I realize these things can vary, but I'm interested in GE more for the TSA Precheck component (now that having a KTN qualifies you for Precheck). How long did your application time take? I have an international trip in September, and we're flying business, so I'm not too worried about long lines. But every bit helps, and I have three other flights this year that Precheck would be nice for.
Ads by Google
Old 03-31-2014, 02:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
I applied on July 19, scheduled my appointment at the earliest possible opportunity in August and received approval notification on September 7, with the card arriving soon after. I'd figure about 2 months from start to finish, assuming you can get an appointment in a timely fashion. Much will depend on how stacked up the appointments are at your local center.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Due to Canada travel requirements for one of my jobs, I applied for NEXUS (which includes Global Entry privileges) in January 2013 and received an invitation to interview less than one month later. After visiting the border station in Pembina, North Dakota, my application was approved and I received my NEXUS card in the mail within the following week.

I agree that TSA PreCheck is nice but you don't need to apply for Global Entry (or NEXUS or SENTRI) for that. There are TSA PreCheck enrollment centers at numerous airports and shopping centers. Also, if you're active duty military including reserve, you can use either your CAC or DoD ID# from milConnect for TSA PreCheck. As a member of Maryland Army National Guard, I've used my CAC for expedited screening at the two Washington, DC area airports (Reagan National & Dulles) before I got the NEXUS card.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Not a Bimmer driver anymo

Mein Auto: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Thanks to both of you for the response. I'll get started this week in case the interviews are hard to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
I agree that TSA PreCheck is nice but you don't need to apply for Global Entry (or NEXUS or SENTRI) for that.
The thing is, it's $85 for just TSA Precheck, or $100 for Global Entry. I do travel internationally, so I might as well pay the extra $15
Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
The thing is, it's $85 for just TSA Precheck, or $100 for Global Entry. I do travel internationally, so I might as well pay the extra $15
Ah, got it. Thanks for clarifying, Gig103!

One interesting tidbit: NEXUS costs only $50 and it includes Global Entry privileges. The most notable downside compared to the regular Global Entry program is that there are far fewer enrollment centers for NEXUS, which are all located at U.S. - Canada border crossings or Canadian airports. I was in North Dakota for work at the time I applied for NEXUS, so making the trek to Pembina wasn't a big deal.

SENTRI, the counterpart for U.S - Mexico travel, costs $122.25.

Best wishes with the application process!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 M3C (335ci on order)
I applied in late February and was approved for an interview within a couple weeks. Unfortunately, the first interview Logan/Boston was in July. I took that interview and then kept checking until there was a cancellation, and then rescheduled the interview (took about a week). In the end, I was able to get the process completed in a little over three weeks. good luck!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:19 AM

Mein Auto: 991 C2S Porsche
Free Global Entry enrollment

If you get a Platinum Amex card, Global Entry fee is picked up by Amex. There are other freebies with Amex Plat. that pay for the card atleast for the first year.