Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i MSport
Transmission Malfunction

Until today I've had no real issues with my F10-except for the tip-in issues.

Backing out of my driveway today I shifted the transmission from reverse to drive and I heard and felt a bump/clunk and then I got a "transmission malfunction" alert. The car would barely move. The warning said to stop the car and call roadside assistance.

I turned the engine off, waited a few moments and then restarted the car. Everything seemed to be normal and the transmission engaged normally and there are no warnings. I garaged my car and I plan to take the car to the dealer in the morning--unless I get another transmission malfunction warning.

If this was a real problem I assume the warning wouldn't go away so quickly. Anyone else have this experience?
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i MSport
Update: I called the dealer's service department and the SA basically said not to worry about it because there are no existing warnings in iDrive. He said sometimes something in the transmission "slips" or fails to engage properly and it shuts down and triggers a warning. I've never heard of such a thing. Doesn't give me much comfort.

I drove it to work today and everything was fine.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i White M Sport
I agree with you. I would not feel comfortable with that response either.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Might I suggest that you send your service adviser an email describing the problem in writing and acknowledging their answer. You never know when it might come in handy...
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550ix M-Sport/Din S2
I experienced the same problem last week. Only had 1,200 miles on the vehicle. Very rough idling and vibration, with reduced power, full engine light and screen error stating Drivetrain Malfunction - Reduced Power. It occurred when I placed the transmission out of Park, not when starting the vehicle. It has not reoccurred again (yet). I heard that it may be a faulty fuel sensor and not a HPFP issue. Your explanation about the tranmission not engaging properly and causing the error is consistent with my experience, so there might be some validity to it.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 528 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
Until today I've had no real issues with my F10-except for the tip-in issues.

Backing out of my driveway today I shifted the transmission from reverse to drive and I heard and felt a bump/clunk and then I got a "transmission malfunction" alert. The car would barely move. The warning said to stop the car and call roadside assistance.

I turned the engine off, waited a few moments and then restarted the car. Everything seemed to be normal and the transmission engaged normally and there are no warnings. I garaged my car and I plan to take the car to the dealer in the morning--unless I get another transmission malfunction warning.

If this was a real problem I assume the warning wouldn't go away so quickly. Anyone else have this experience?
I had a similar problem today on my 5 day old BMW 528xi with 340 miles on it. I was stopped at a light and when I pressed the accelerator the "Transmission Malfunction" message came on. I was able to drive it to my house at a very slow speed but it could not make it up the hill on my driveway. I shut the car off and restarted it and it was fine.
I drove the car to you service center in Boston on Sunday 3/25/2012 and was basically told not to worry about it by the Salesperson and the person working in the service area but I think I should have it checked anyway. So I am setting up an appointment for this Thursday to have it checked. This is my first BMW. I have two Jaguars one a 1996 with 145000 miles that never needs service. I bought the BMW because of quality.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
I think it's kinda like how on regular cars, if you shift from reverse-drive too fast, the engine will kill itself automatically. Many cars actually do this...as for BMW, maybe it's just a precautionary warning just in case it wasn't one of those "shift too fast" moments.

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Old 04-16-2012, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i, 2014 X5
I had the same issue backing out of my drive this morning. As soon as I slid it into D the dash lit up. I placed it back in P. Shut the car off. Restart. Go on my merry way without the warning. I am not going to obsess over it. It must be a protective issue, and I probably tried to go from R to D to quickly.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:20 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
I think it's kinda like how on regular cars, if you shift from reverse-drive too fast, the engine will kill itself automatically. Many cars actually do this...
Huh? How do you shift "too fast" from reverse to drive? Do you mean you're still rolling? I've driven probably 40 cars and have never experienced an engine "killing itself" when shifting the transmission to any gear. Unless of course, it was a manual and I didn't know how to work a clutch (not).

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
There has been a number of these malfunction transmission posts.
I believe every time it concerns fairly new, under 2000 miles cars.
Aand everytome the problem was solved by restarting the engine.
I f it only happens once, I would not worry.