Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Front window chip repair

I took a rock to the front windshield and want to get it repaired. My 760Li has a film of some sort on it. Is this just a tint film or does it serve some other purpose? Will chip repair methods work or will the film cause issues or get damaged by the repair resin heater?
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Most insurance companies will repair the crack for free. If the glass company does not think they can repair it correctly, they will not try! If you have to replace the windshield, make sure they install the correct glass.

Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 760 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac760Li View Post
I took a rock to the front windshield and want to get it repaired. My 760Li has a film of some sort on it. Is this just a tint film or does it serve some other purpose? Will chip repair methods work or will the film cause issues or get damaged by the repair resin heater?
The thin film that you are talking about is called 'Infrared Windshield'. It comes as an optional package on the 760's. Basically, it is a protectant shield to stop uv rays from entering the vehicle. It serves the same purpose as the windshield sun protector/ sun shade......The silver stuff that you cover your windshield with in order to protect your dashboard from heat build up related sun damage.

Last edited by pkathee; 03-05-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Check your state law. Where I live (Kentucky) if you have a crack in your windshield your insurance company has to replace the windshield for free and you don't even pay the deductible. I think Florida has the same law. Not sure about Virginia.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkathee View Post
The thin film that you are talking about is called 'Infrared Windshield'. It comes as an optional package on the 760's. Basically, it is a protectant shield to stop uv rays from entering the vehicle. It serves the same purpose as the windshield sun protector/ sun shade......The silver stuff that you cover your windshield with in order to protect your dashboard from heat related direct sun damage.
Kind of true, it's a metallic film inside the glass that helps bounce back heat rays and UV rays while allowing light in. It's standard on all E65/66's on the windshield. It helps to reduce interior temperature, reduce noise and help the glass stay a little bit stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
Check your state law. Where I live (Kentucky) if you have a crack in your windshield your insurance company has to replace the windshield for free and you don't even pay the deductible. I think Florida has the same law. Not sure about Virginia.
^Agree, if you have a crack larger than 6 inches most policies will replace the glass with OEM glass. If less, then it'll be filled in; I had both done to separate cars and it was handled very nicely by safelite.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 760 Li
[QUOTE=csmeance;6680625]Kind of true, it's a metallic film inside the glass that helps bounce back heat rays and UV rays while allowing light in. It's standard on all E65/66's on the windshield. It helps to reduce interior temperature, reduce noise and help the glass stay a little bit stronger.

Csmeance,
I somewhat disagree with you. The IR windsheilds were available only on the comfort packages. They serve NO purpose on noise reduction and/or glass durability. The windshield has a laminate embedded to cut down on the UV and heat that gets through the windshield to help keep the cabin cool. Also, this windshield blocks the use of Radar Detectors and EZ pass toll devices unless you mount them in specific spots where they leave out the IR laminate.

Last edited by pkathee; 03-05-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI
THAT JUST HAPPEND TO ME LAST WEEK IT CHIP THEN CRACK THE NEXT DAY SUN WAS HOT BUT COOL AIR BREEZE WAS ABOUT TO REPAIR IT BUT AFTER CRACK CAN'T B DONE SO HAD TO GET IT REPLACE AT SAFELITE AUTO GLASS THAY DID A GOOD JOB THEY CAN ALSO DO YOUR REPAIR IF ITS STILL DOABLE IF ONLY CHIP COULD COST U $50.00 OR NOTHING ALL ON YOUR INSURANCE CALL SAFELITE http://www.safelite.com/ HOPE THIS HELPS U

E66 745LI 2004 Sport / Sterling Grey Ext. Blck Int./
22" Wheels / ACS Pedals / ACS Rug Plates/
Black Out Tail Lights / Carbon Fiber Blck.-Gry. Emblams/
Grill Chrome-Blck. /
12" Subwoofers 2000 watt Amp