Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 128i, '05 Range Rover
How much should I ask for my 128i?

Well - I see a number of threads where people are judging how much they should pay for a car on sale. I will twist that question around and get some feedback on what my asking price should be for a 2011 (actual in service date of last week of Aug 2010) 128i with ~12,500 miles on it.

Details - Current MSRP of a similar build - 35,885 (TrueCar stats in the Chicago area indicate that the market average is about $850 below MSRP, whereas $1395 below is a great price)

Alpine White 128i Manual with Sport Package, Coral Red - Leather Seating, Heated Seats and Steering, Sirius radio. Less than 13K miles. Routine maintenance performed.

Comes with an extra set of Winter tires - Michelin X-Ice XI2 (non-RFT for a better ride), mounted on OEM BMW 17x7 Wheels from an e46 (forget the style number). Both the original summer tires and the winters roughly have equal mileage - so we are talking about ~6K miles on each set. No curb rash on the original staggered set that came on the 128i. Some minor rash on the winter set (these were bought used).

The car is used in the city so there are some minor scratches on the bumpers, but the metal is clean. The car is regularly hand washed at a local car wash. It has seen one detailing - that was in last October, I think (before the start of this non-winter).

Why I am selling - if it matters - we have a house in the city, and I cannot justify keeping two cars around. The Range Rover stays (love, love, love the Kings Throne driving position in traffic!!) - and this goes. Also, I find myself mostly driving in traffic and I miss driving in the Alps (European Delivery addiction!!). So - I feel that I can have more "joy", by selling the car - saving the monthly payments and renting something exotic on my next Alps vacation (going to Italy in the spring, and wishing that I was doing another European Delivery!! - but on the other hand I can rent something decent - like a 320D - for roughly 100 Euros a day, so I will probably do that).

Suggestions welcome.

My time frame of the sale is in the next couple of months. I will have paid it off by April - and will have the title in hand.

Last edited by jatbeni; 03-06-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar, Details
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Take it to Carmax for a quote, I predict $22,500. Whatever they say is wholesale. I'd ask $25,500. Carmax is quick and easy with no hassle, takes about 20 minutes. They give you a number they will buy the car for good for a week.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 PM

Yes - CarMax offered me $22K odd - some months ago. That implied something like a 35% depreciation in 1 year. So - that seems like I am being taken for a ride. When I sold my 4 year old 2003 VW GTI VR6 some years back, I was able to better their price (less than $12K) in less than a week (sold for $14.5K). So CarMax is not exactly my cup of tea, specially for a car that would have been paid off. Lets consider that as rock bottom.

Also, they did not want my winter tires. So that is another transaction to worry about. So - not exactly hassle free for me. I am hoping to bundle this all in... and target the enthusiast who values the all around usability, and the lower maintenance of the package.

If I look at cars.com - $26,880 buys me a somewhat similar 2010 128i - but that appears to be one of the dealer test drive vehicles which does not seem to have a complete carfax history, so I have no idea what the in service date was. Similarly, $27K buys you a similar miles 2011 Auto AW 128i - with additional Sunroof and Xenons - but no Sport Package and Winter Tires - so I would say, that these are a wash in equipment level, but targeted at completely different buyers. Negotiate with the dealer - and you can probably knock off some more.

So that seems to be what I am competing with... landing me in the $26K range. Hmmm.... so you were pretty much there with asking $25,500... if I want a relatively quick sale.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 128i
2011 128i Asking Price

Hi from a new owner of an 2011 128i much like yours, thought you might find my buying experience of the car from BMW Gallery in Norwood MA of interest.
I bought a titanium silver 2011 128i with 5,600 miles last month for $25,000 & got $13k for my 2006 325ix wagon with 87,000 miles, needing $2000 body work.
I was ready for a coupe since my kid gave up playing goalie for a ice hockey team for tennis & his tennis bag coul easily fit in the trunk.
I'm sure you are aware that the 128i has a much greater rate of depreciation than a 328i of same age and mileage.
My wife bought a 2011 328i x drive with 15k miles from the same dealership for $31,000 a week after I got the 128i, she got $12,000 trade for her 05' X3 with over 100k miles.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Yes - that seems to be the case now. It wasn't quite the case when I bought the car... At that time, the projected resale for the 1 series was amongst the highest of all BMW models, and higher than the 3 series.

The one saving grace - if I can think of it in that manner - is that most 128s that I see for sale are automatics and without the sport pack. As opposed to the 135 - where the Sport Package and the wonderful sports seats are standard. So, if someone is looking for a more sporty manual 128... I have far less competition to deal with the in the used market. Granted that most people who want something really sporty are going to gravitate towards the 135... but if you want a naturally aspirated car (I know I did) with a more reliable motor, the 128 is the way to go.

I'll see how it pans out - once I have the title in hand.

Until then, I am starting to make plans to really enjoy this baby, and a road trip seems to be forming in my mind. The areas around Chicago are really the pits when it comes to finding twisty mountain roads and some natural beauty, but I am thinking - 10 days - Colorado/Wyoming/Montana in late spring... about 4-5K miles... would be a good proper way to say goodbye to my BMW ownership days.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I did a trip like that, We liked Durango Co, Jackson Hole Wy, Teton Mountains. We drove from Florida in a Z4.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatbeni View Post
Yes - that seems to be the case now. It wasn't quite the case when I bought the car... At that time, the projected resale for the 1 series was amongst the highest of all BMW models, and higher than the 3 series.

The one saving grace - if I can think of it in that manner - is that most 128s that I see for sale are automatics and without the sport pack. As opposed to the 135 - where the Sport Package and the wonderful sports seats are standard. So, if someone is looking for a more sporty manual 128... I have far less competition to deal with the in the used market. Granted that most people who want something really sporty are going to gravitate towards the 135... but if you want a naturally aspirated car (I know I did) with a more reliable motor, the 128 is the way to go.

I'll see how it pans out - once I have the title in hand.

Until then, I am starting to make plans to really enjoy this baby, and a road trip seems to be forming in my mind. The areas around Chicago are really the pits when it comes to finding twisty mountain roads and some natural beauty, but I am thinking - 10 days - Colorado/Wyoming/Montana in late spring... about 4-5K miles... would be a good proper way to say goodbye to my BMW ownership days.
Sounds like a good plan: buy a car; enjoy the car. Whatever you get on resale is gravy.