Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
Cylinder Misfire Issues after cylinder head cover gasket replacement

Good evening everyone. I recently did a bit of work on my baby.

Left Cylinder Head cover gasket
Left Upper Timing Chain Cover Gasket
O-Ring Replacement behind Alternator Bracket
Replaced transmission pan gasket and drain plug.

Summing it up like that just doesn't do it justice, grin.
Anyway She is all back together but very unhappy with me. She has misfires on
Cylinder 6
Cylinder 8
Cylinder 4
Cylinder 5
I also got the 300 code for random misfires

There was another code the guy at Autozone could not discover what it meant

115C - - - - - Anyone know what this is?

Anybody have any ideas? The Injectors were a pain to get out and in. I worked on I believe on the side of Cylinders 5,6,7, and 8.

Is there something special about reconnecting the Servo motor to the Cylinder Head Cover?

I have the connector to connect to the car and I have the software to connect, but I have not quite mastered how to use it all just yet.

I read in another topic about replacing all the coils. I'm on board with that, but I can't imagine that that would be my problem. I'm hoping it's just something I need to tweak, but will replace any parts I need to.

Thank in advance everyone. I pretty much consider this effort to be my education on the 6 series, grin!
Ads by Google
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by houbmw-cm View Post
Good evening everyone. I recently did a bit of work on my baby.

Left Cylinder Head cover gasket
Left Upper Timing Chain Cover Gasket
O-Ring Replacement behind Alternator Bracket
Replaced transmission pan gasket and drain plug.

Summing it up like that just doesn't do it justice, grin.
Anyway She is all back together but very unhappy with me. She has misfires on
Cylinder 6
Cylinder 8
Cylinder 4
Cylinder 5
I also got the 300 code for random misfires

There was another code the guy at Autozone could not discover what it meant

115C - - - - - Anyone know what this is?

Anybody have any ideas? The Injectors were a pain to get out and in. I worked on I believe on the side of Cylinders 5,6,7, and 8.

Is there something special about reconnecting the Servo motor to the Cylinder Head Cover?

I have the connector to connect to the car and I have the software to connect, but I have not quite mastered how to use it all just yet.

I read in another topic about replacing all the coils. I'm on board with that, but I can't imagine that that would be my problem. I'm hoping it's just something I need to tweak, but will replace any parts I need to.

Thank in advance everyone. I pretty much consider this effort to be my education on the 6 series, grin!
When removing the left valve cover, you need to remove the left fuel rail.
It is common to get random misfires, due to fuel loss from the system. When the system re-primed itself, the misfires usually clear up. Items that could cause the misfires are either fuel loss, firing, or vacuum related. When removing the fuel rail, there are 2 o-rings per injector. If 1 of these o-rings falls off, misfires are common. Since all of the the spark plugs & coils were removed, check all connections that were removed. The last item would be to look for vacuum leaks. If the valve cover gasket did not seat correctly, it could leak in the semi circles in the rear. I would check everywhere else, before removing the valve cover again. My last item to inspect, would be the gasket that goes around the eccentric shaft sensor. This is easy to check by a visual inspection. After it is removed, look for cracks & dry rot, on the inside part of the seal. You would be surprised how much air, can leak from this seal.

If you have installed INPA & DIS, You can use DIS to trouble shoot the vacuum leaks. If you look at the Lamba part of the DME I think, it will indicate that you have a vacuum leak. Finding that leak can be very hard. A quick test on DIS should indicate the module or component on the engine that is having a problem. Drill down into that module to trouble shoot for more info. There is not really a book to learn how to use DIS, you just have to gather data, then compare what is different from the baseline. Play around & see what you can learn.

Good Luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 PM

HerbP,

Thanks again for all your help. You helped me out substantially on this project. I have INPA, but not sure if I have the DIS. I'll verify that and then try out your suggestions. This has been quite the education for me.

The O-rings on the Injectors did get me when I went to put her back together. One of them fell off and left town. I checked several auto parts stores and no one had anything to work. I tried cheating and using multiple O-rings just to test her, Not a good idea, grin. Gas went everyweher to say the least. So I went to BMW and picked up a few of those little gems.

She is running pretty rough but still has get up and go. She sounds throaty, if that makes sense.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Is the engine idling ok, or are you having trouble when accelerating. The Servo motor will self calibrate when you turn on the key. If you wait 15 sec to crank, you will here it self calibrating. If the car is not idling ok, check the 2 vent pipes on the front of the valve covers. They are famous for dry rotting.

Good Luck!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 AM

I managed to find DIS and get the VM setup and installed, then when I tried to move it to the Netbook that I setup with NCS Expert, ETK, and TIS. VMWare told me it would not run on my processor. DOH! So I'm setting it all up on an actuall Laptop now. The Netbook worked fine for everything else. I had not done any actual coding or anything with it yet, but I had set it up to read the car. I just haven't figured out what to do past that point. I'll get DIS running today and hopefully get her figured out.

Now to answer your questions.
She idles ok but rough (more vibration than normal) accelerating between 1400-2200 rpms and the whole car will shake. If you try and talk during this point in the car you sound like a sheep baaaaaaa, grin.

I waited 15 seconds to let the servo calibrate as you suggested. I could hear them adjusting fine. So that's not the issue. Thanks for the tip on that part, pretty cool to know these things. The vent pipes seem fine, I could not find any signs of rotting or breaking. at all on them.

Thanks again. I'm planning to get DIS up. Reset the service engine soon light and then check the codes again and use the troubleshooting tools in it to try and track down the issue.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 AM

HerbP,

Well I FINALLY got DIS up and running and connected. What a PITA! Anyway. It seems there were several codes that came up due to my initial test when I had a missing O-Ring. I am clearing those out. The ronly one still present was a coil issue for Cylinder 8. Sounds like a simple trip to BMW today and replacing the Coil. Fingers are crossed. Thanks again for all your help. I'll post the results later today. Hopefully my car has enough juice in the battery fro DIS to clear the codes. I don't get my battery tender till tomorrow. DOH!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:11 AM

HerbP,

Turned out to be a loose connection at the coil. I pulled it out reseated it, reconnected and she is happy again. Whew!

I canceled the delete error fualts command in DIS. I get my Battery Tender tomorrow and I can set her up properly and delete the codes. Any tips on DIS. I didn't actually cancel it, I rec'd a bus interrputed code. I'm hoping I just need to get her properly plugged in with a battery tender and then just let DIS do her thing. How much have you used DIS?

Thanks,