Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-10-2012, 05:15 AM
2008 550i M Sport

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
550xI M Sport Heated seats

I just realized a mistake I made when ordering my new 550xi M Sport. I could have sworn the sales guy said heated front seats were standard when we talked about the Cold Weather Package.

I opted to not get the Cold Weather package since with the M Sport steering wheel I don't believe that can be heated and I rarely have poeple in the back to use rear heated seats. As I look more closely at the specs it looks like heated front seats are a different option so I assume I won't have them. I assume that option is something they can't add after its already built. Any info on that?

Guess I'm glad that spring is almost here but those heated seats sure come in handy in the NJ winter months.

The cargo ship with the car arrives at NY (Newark) on Wednesday on the BESS. Can one go to the Port of Newark and watch their car be unloaded? Has anyone done that and have any details?

Thanks!
Steve F.
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2012, 05:39 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Thumbs up

M Wheel can be heated!....mine is blazing as we speak. Sorry
but
Your gonna be all good anyway with that v8 breathing fire down on ya....

Now if you forgot to click the engine box! Then we got a problem

lets see some pics when it comes in.
Njoy
Rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 03-10-2012, 05:47 AM
2008 550i M Sport

cold next winter

thanks Rob i thought it was too late.

I had to make the decision between BMW550xi M-Sport or MB E550 rather quickly and got tunnel visioned looking at performance and the RFT issues. I should have checked the minor specs mrore closely.

Will definitely post pics as soon as it gets here. Trying to see if i can go to Newark Wed when the ship arrives... anticipation is killing me.

Steve
Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
yeah, you made a big boo boo. The long term testers at Automobile magazine did the same thing and they pissed and moaned about forgetting the heated seat option the whole time...

REVIEWS: 2011 BMW 535i - Four Seasons Update -
Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
No go on adding it after the fact.....sorry to get ur hopes up
Like I said thank got u didn't forget something really important like Msport option
please tell me u did that

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 03-10-2012, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: German
It's downright ridiculous that BMW CHARGES for heated front seats on a car in this price range.

I remember speccing up my X5 and BMW charges for BT, leather, heated seats, etc. Every option, competitors give us standard
Old 03-10-2012, 08:48 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
It's downright ridiculous that BMW CHARGES for heated front seats on a car in this price range.

I remember speccing up my X5 and BMW charges for BT, leather, heated seats, etc. Every option, competitors give us standard
I agree. They only get away with it because many of us are too snobbish to drive a Lexus or an Audi (you and I excepted)

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
I love the heated seats and steering wheel...actually find myself warming up the steering wheel a lot.
2011 535i, 06/11 Build, Black Sapphire, Black Dakota, Dark Wood, 6mt, PP 1 & 2, Premium Sound, Soft Close Doors, Convenience, Driver Assist, Cold Weather, Nav, SAT, 35% Suntek Tint, BMWPedals, Coded, Xpel Paint Prot.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 F250 HD Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfinnerty1 View Post
I just realized a mistake I made when ordering my new 550xi M Sport. I could have sworn the sales guy said heated front seats were standard when we talked about the Cold Weather Package.

I opted to not get the Cold Weather package since with the M Sport steering wheel I don't believe that can be heated and I rarely have poeple in the back to use rear heated seats. As I look more closely at the specs it looks like heated front seats are a different option so I assume I won't have them. I assume that option is something they can't add after its already built. Any info on that?

Guess I'm glad that spring is almost here but those heated seats sure come in handy in the NJ winter months.

The cargo ship with the car arrives at NY (Newark) on Wednesday on the BESS. Can one go to the Port of Newark and watch their car be unloaded? Has anyone done that and have any details?

Thanks!
Steve F.
My space gray 535 is on the BESS too! Woo hoo!!

I've been trying to track it but dont have any info for after March 4th for some reason?

Last edited by motorcop71; 03-10-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Not only do I find them mandatory in a car in the northeast, but they are also a huge factor in resale. My MB dealer had a loaner ML without heated seats- he said they couldn't get rid of it here in the northeast. They wound up getting $5k (or something like that) less than the other ML loaners...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 03-10-2012, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:

I think the reason heated seats are optional is because the people living in the warm climates have no need for them. So, why is it fair to make them pay for them if they have no use for them?
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
I think the reason heated seats are optional is because the people living in the warm climates have no need for them. So, why is it fair to make them pay for them if they have no use for them?

What he said.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Why can't they just be standard? Costs would actually go down because BMW would be offering them as standard. No need to sell two diff't models (with and w/o heated seats). A $23k Hyundai Elantra Limited has standard front and rear heated seats. My old $25k Jetta TDI had standard heated seats. But my $62k X5? nope.

Not to mention, heated seats are important for resale. Try to sell a luxury car up here in the NE without heated seats. You won't, unless you are going to take a huge hit
Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Not only do I find them mandatory in a car in the northeast, but they are also a huge factor in resale. My MB dealer had a loaner ML without heated seats- he said they couldn't get rid of it here in the northeast. They wound up getting $5k (or something like that) less than the other ML loaners...
I can't imagine a luxury buyer in the northeast ever considering a car without this option. In fact it's becoming pretty mainstream to the point that even average cars have them as standard equipment.

Quote:
Good point. Half the year I have no need for such things. But when you need them in the morning, it's such a blessing, that I would never buy another car without it. (also any chick that gets in your car basically gets cold below 72 degrees)
Old 03-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I agree. They only get away with it because many of us are too snobbish to drive a Lexus or an Audi (you and I excepted)
I think you bring up a good point about this one. BMWs are selling so well these says and all they care about is profit, profit, and profit. Owners haven't said anything so they are clear to rip us off any chance they get.

MY11 528s had leather optional. I think they're finally standard now.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Good points made here also. They're becoming such a mainstream option these days that I find it stupid that BMW/MB still charge for it
Old 03-11-2012, 05:07 AM
2008 550i M Sport

Bess is off the coast of Halifax now a bit early!

What Port is your 535 going to? My 550xi is Space grey as well and I went with the black interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcop71 View Post
My space gray 535 is on the BESS too! Woo hoo!!

I've been trying to track it but dont have any info for after March 4th for some reason?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 F250 HD Edition
Nice!! My 535xi is SG with black interior too. Its going to the NY port. I have the regular sport package, not M-sport.

Last edited by motorcop71; 03-11-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:25 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Good points made here also. They're becoming such a mainstream option these days that I find it stupid that BMW/MB still charge for it
And you don't think they would "charge" for it if they were standard? Of course they would, the base price would increase. That's the beauty of being able to choose the options one wants or needs and not pay for the ones they don't want.

Quote:
MY11 528s had leather optional. I think they're finally standard now.
Leather was optional on the '11 535i as well. Oh, and lets not forget, leather is still optional on an MB E350. While you almost always see leather-equipped F10's on a dealer's lot, you'll be hard-pressed to find a leather-equipped E350 in stock.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 03-11-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
And you don't think they would "charge" for it if they were standard? Of course they would, the base price would increase. That's the beauty of being able to choose the options one wants or needs and not pay for the ones they don't want.

Leather was optional on the '11 535i as well. Oh, and lets not forget, leather is still optional on an MB E350. While you almost always see leather-equipped F10's on a dealer's lot, you'll be hard-pressed to find a leather-equipped E350 in stock.
I'm sure everyone remembers the scene from the movie "Lost in America" in 1985 in which Albert Brooks is negotiating with the MB dealer to buy his car because he thinks he is getting a big promotion. Of course, he gets fired instead and then becomes "Lost". In his negotiation the salesman explains to him that his $44,000 MB (around $100,000 in today's dollars) is not equipped with leather seats. The salesman keeps saying it comes with "Mercedes Leather", which, I guess was similar to the standard non leather seats of today's E350 and some of the BMWs in which leather is optional at additional cost.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 03-11-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:39 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
I'm sure everyone remembers the scene from the movie "Lost in America" in 1985 in which Albert Brooks is negotiating with the MB dealer to buy his car because he thinks he is getting a big promotion. Of course, he gets fired instead and then becomes "Lost". In his negotiation the salesman explains to him that his $44,000 MB (around $100,000 in today's dollars) is not equipped with leather seats. The salesman keeps saying it comes with "Mercedes Leather", which, I guess was similar to the standard non leather seats of today's E350 and some of the BMWs in which leather is optional at additional cost.
MBTex is pretty nice and will wear much better than leather.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)