Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-19-2015, 05:50 AM
From DownUnder

Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
AC has a BRAIN of its own!

Hi Guys, here is OZ, the summer can be really hot. My early E60 with M54 engine is 11 years old now and the AC works perfectly fine. But, on some summer days I have noticed that the AC will lose all of it cold temprature as if it is nearly turned off or low. In order to get the cold temp back, I need to increase the the blue bars on the climate control or increase the fan speed. Is this normal?

FYI - The water pump was replaced 60K's earlier as preventive measure and is still working fine. There is no coolant leak or AC leak as it works fine usually.
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2015, 06:38 AM
Nac

Mein Auto: 535XI, 328I
I have found that once in a while the bar colors will change from blue to red or the reverse without action on my part. I just reset them and all is fine.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:36 AM
From DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Hadley View Post
I have found that once in a while the bar colors will change from blue to red or the reverse without action on my part. I just reset them and all is fine.
That will happen if you press the Auto button with AC on. But problem I am trying to figure out is different.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskane View Post
Hi Guys, here is OZ, the summer can be really hot. My early E60 with M54 engine is 11 years old now and the AC works perfectly fine. But, on some summer days I have noticed that the AC will lose all of it cold temprature as if it is nearly turned off or low. In order to get the cold temp back, I need to increase the the blue bars on the climate control or increase the fan speed. Is this normal?

FYI - The water pump was replaced 60K's earlier as preventive measure and is still working fine. There is no coolant leak or AC leak as it works fine usually.
This sounds like a feeon issue. R134 has much smaller particles and has to run under higher pressure to give the same results. It also leaks more easily than the old R12. you probably need a pound or so. Any standard service place should be able to do this. You can buy cans to charge yourself, but if you are not clear on low side vs high side you could have a bad experience.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 PM
From DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesonia View Post
This sounds like a feeon issue. R134 has much smaller particles and has to run under higher pressure to give the same results. It also leaks more easily than the old R12. you probably need a pound or so. Any standard service place should be able to do this. You can buy cans to charge yourself, but if you are not clear on low side vs high side you could have a bad experience.
Okay, after turning DIY'r for over an year now and thanks to all the good people on this forum, I thought I knew a little about my car. But from you just above, it sounds like a foreign language . Can you please explain or direct me how to figure out this feeon, R134, R12 etc etc . Here in OZ, all the mechanics are bad mojo, and the $tealers are real hungry, so at the end DIY is the ultimate fix of these cars. So, any further details on what you are saying would be great.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:19 AM
Nac

R-12 was used for years, but was not good for the environment. Car companies switched to R-134 quite a while ago, so your vehicle would be using the R-134 freon.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:38 AM
From DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Hadley View Post
R-12 was used for years, but was not good for the environment. Car companies switched to R-134 quite a while ago, so your vehicle would be using the R-134 freon.
So, are you saying I am leaking AC gas (R-134)? I would doubt the leak, because if that is the case, why am I freezing sometimes, but not enough cold other times?
Old 01-24-2015, 05:40 AM
Nac

No, I can not determine whether or not the gas is leaking, but if it is, it would be R-134.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:30 PM
From DownUnder

Does any one knows how to check the level of freons (R-134) in the car? I mean, does the AC system has enough gas (freons) or not? Does the level of freons go down over a decade without any leak???