Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3 and 2006 LR3
E83 fault codes P0335 and P1727

This morning my low oil light came on when I started my x3 but then went out once it warmed up and I left for work. When leaving for work and trying to start up it cranked for 5-10 seconds (this has never happened before, always starts right up). Then I had multiple lights on such as check engine, 4x4, and then the brake light also stayed on after taking off the brake and all lights were orange. I decided to try to drive home about 3 miles and the car mostly acted fine but I didn't push it and took it easy, very low rpm's. once home I checked everything and the oil was low so I filled it (I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w40 and it does burn off a bit, hopefully that isn't a sign of a major problem. I would say I have to add about .5 qt after 3-4k miles then I change it at about 7k miles). I also noticed I was a little low on coolant so I topped that off too. I started it back up and it fired right up and ran fine but check engine was still on so I went down to the auto parts store and had the codes read: P0335 - Crankshaft sensor error, and P1727 which I believe is a no-start error. I drove back home and the check engine light went out and the car seems to be running fine. In reading over some other forums tonight I'm not sure if I should do something else at this point. Should I replace the Crankshaft position sensor? or should I just wait to see if it happens again? could low oil lead to throwing that error code?

One other thing is I noticed a bit more buildup under the oil cap than I think was there before.
I recently changed locations where I work and instead of driving 30-40 minutes (18 miles) each way, now I only drive 3 miles and about 10-15 minutes and nothing faster than 40mph to work. I have read that in the cold months this can cause condensation buildup in and around the oil cap but could that be related in any way to the error codes?

It's cold and my garage is full so I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a long freezing weekend for me under the hood.
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2016, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
P1727 and P0335 codes

On a 2007 E93 started getting this codes with engine miss and stalling along with
sensor A circuit readout . Replaced crankshaft position sensor next to starter. Problem appears
gone no more faults

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search