Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Convertible
Question on Headlight Wire Harness??

So here's a question for anybody that's electrically inclined. I'm attempting a Depo headlight upgrade (standard H1s no Angel Eyes) and as with many folks it's not going smoothly! There are no wiring instructions for the plug and play harness.

So I checked my low beams and high beams with the stock headlights and I swear they were both working fine. Then I started messing around with the Depos. I plugged them in and at first it seemed one bulb was working and not the other. Then only the low wattage bulb was working and not the H1 bulb. So I plugged the stock light back in and the low beam worked but not the high beam or the other way around...can't recall which. Took that same light and plugged it into the Driver's side and high beam and low beam both work fine so it's not the bulb.

So then I checked the contacts inside the plugs of the wiring harness to see if the problem was in one of the plugs and sure enough the contact connected to the white/blue wire is not hot. All of the other contacts are hot on the driver side and passenger side.

So I need to know if the contact inside the plug is bad or if there is a short in the wire farther back in the harness. So I went quite a distance back on the wire and poked my meter probe through the plastic and into the wire. Nothing! So the problem isn't the plug or the contact in the plug but possibly a short or broken wire somewhere farther back in the wiring harness.

I checked all my fuses just in case even though I was nearly certain it couldn't be a fuse because the other contacts are all hot.

So what do you guys think? Is it a broken wire or short in the white/blue wire harness or could it be something else?

If you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them before I try tracking down the short.

Any suggestions for a work around such as splicing power from one of the other wires????

Thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	317736  

Last edited by CTBimmerGuy; 03-21-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Advertisement