Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 AM
2008 550i M Sport

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Dinan S2 question

The new 550xi M Sport arrive in NJ on Wed and I'm considering the Dinan S2 but had a couple of questions:

1. Do I have to wait for the usual break in period before getting the upgrade?
2. From everything I read here the S2 is significantly better than S1 particularly at lower range. Is there any reason to do S1 first and then go to S2?
3. The pricing on the Dinan S2 is quite high. Is there anyway to get the cost down a bit (will they engotiate)?
4. Is the Dinan suspension upgrade noticable and worth doing? Does that change the chasis tuning built inot the car?
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
1. I've heard mixed reviews on this. I waited around 350 miles before my car was flashed to Stage 3. Dinan says it's fine. So did my dealer.
2. You can go straight to Stage 2. No need to do Stage 1. All depends on what you want and what your budget is.
3. Yes, it is. But Dinan's warranty is superb and you get what you paid for. I got a slight discount on mine but you won't get much more than that.
4. It is noticeable. I am running the non-xDrive springs, though. I don't believe Dinan has released the xDrive-compatible springs yet. I was told (and dunderhi confirmed) that the xDrive springs will elevate the front a bit. It does not affect the chassis tuning, whether you have ARS, dynamic damper, etc.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfinnerty1 View Post
The new 550xi M Sport arrive in NJ on Wed and I'm considering the Dinan S2 but had a couple of questions:

1. Do I have to wait for the usual break in period before getting the upgrade?
2. From everything I read here the S2 is significantly better than S1 particularly at lower range. Is there any reason to do S1 first and then go to S2?
3. The pricing on the Dinan S2 is quite high. Is there anyway to get the cost down a bit (will they engotiate)?
4. Is the Dinan suspension upgrade noticable and worth doing? Does that change the chasis tuning built inot the car?
1) I would wait if I was you. It's hard to show restraint once you have Dinan.
2) S2 is much better than S1 because of low range and drivability.
3) They have sales twice a year. I believe the next sale is due within a month - will probably run April-May and will be 15% or 18% off. Best to buy on sale. I bought mine on sale before I even got my car. Saved over $500.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 03-12-2012, 03:42 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
1. I broke-in my 550 just as I have broken-in the previous two cars - on the Autobahn at 150mph.
2. I think Stage 1 was more of a beta release with Dinan being overly conservative. I would go with Stage 2.
3. Yup, they have sales every now and then. Some dealers will also give you a discount if are willing to work it.
4. The springs really flatten out the body during hard turns, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you ditch the RFTs; otherwise the ride would be too hard.

Good luck.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
1. I broke-in my 550 just as I have broken-in the previous two cars - on the Autobahn at 150mph.
2. I think Stage 1 was more of a beta release with Dinan being overly conservative. I would go with Stage 2.
3. Yup, they have sales every now and then. Some dealers will also give you a discount if are willing to work it.
4. The springs really flatten out the body during hard turns, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you ditch the RFTs; otherwise the ride would be too hard.

Good luck.
Your fourth comment is what is holding me back, because my ride on the Michelin PSS feels just as firm as on the Dunlop Sportmaxx DSST. The Michelin PSS are XL rated and have a pretty firm firewall.

I really need to get a ride in a Dinan suspension car. Unfortunately the only places I tend to travel to are Atlanta, LA (Beverly Hills area), and Miami (where nobody on the forum has Dinan springs. If anyone in LA or Atlanta with Dinan is reading this - please let me know.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 03-12-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Your fourth comment is what is holding me back, because my ride on the Michelin PSS feels just as firm as on the Dunlop Sportmaxx DSST. The Michelin PSS are XL rated and have a pretty firm firewall.

I really need to get a ride in a Dinan suspension car. Unfortunately the only places I tend to travel to are Atlanta, LA (Beverly Hills area), and Miami (where nobody on the forum has Dinan springs. If anyone in LA or Atlanta with Dinan is reading this - please let me know.
Interesting, I find the PSS to be somewhat squishy - dunno, maybe my non-staggered setup feels different. Anyway, my 18" Alpin's feel firmer then my 19" PSS.

Jimefam is in Atlanta and IIRC he has RDS springs which may be similar.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Interesting, I find the PSS to be somewhat squishy - dunno, maybe my non-staggered setup feels different. Anyway, my 18" Alpin's feel firmer then my 19" PSS.

Jimefam is in Atlanta and IIRC he has RDS springs which may be similar.
Maybe you are running lower tire pressure? I am running whatever the BMW manual says for speeds above 100mph. Plus my 19s are XL Load factor.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Maybe you are running lower tire pressure? I am running whatever the BMW manual says for speeds above 100mph. Plus my 19s are XL Load factor.
Yes, mine 19's are XL rated too, and I run them at 40psi at all four corners. When the pressure drops to about 36psi, I start to feel the squishiness and pump them back up. Each of my rims weigh 12-14lbs less than stock, so the decrease in unsprung weight allows me to feel tire flex more easily. During hard cornering, they offer plenty of feel and flex at 40psi, so that's where I like it.