Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 PM
tol4o tol4o is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 181
Mein Auto: E46M3 & X5D
I think this thread is about diesels and you keep talking about gasoline
Anyway I've never used a gas less than 93 octane even in my first car 1991 Dodge Colt 1.5L
The better MPG makes up the price difference
Whoever plays cheap and fills up 87 is just tricking himself

It's so bad that we can't find diesel with 50+ cetane (recommended by BMW) in the states
__________________
2011 X5 xdrive35D - The Ultimate Oil Burner - Alpine White / Oyster - Premium - Technology - Winter - Comfort Access - Rear Climate - 3rd Row - Roof Rails - Running Boards - Ipod/USB Adapter
2004 E46 ///M3 6SP Manual - Imola Red / Cinnamon - Premium - Luxury - Winter
2004 X3 E83 2.5i Auto (SOLD)
1996 318ti E36 Hatchback 4-cyl 5SP Manual (SOLD)

Last edited by tol4o; 03-17-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-17-2012, 03:11 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,095
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I believe they say you can use 87 octane because they need to differentiate themselves from Mercedes.
What? If anything, the NA MB engine can run 87 octane better than the BMW motor with FI
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 PM
bubear99 bubear99 is offline
Registered User
Location: West Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2011 Jet Black X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by tol4o View Post
I want one too, but they are not coming to US because of the emissions

Check out the new M division Diesel line
X5 M50d
X6 M50d
M550d xdrive
M550d Touring xdrive



And the engine explained
Now that's a German technology!!!

Thanks to the California EcoNazis and others like them. I'd love to have a M diesel.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 PM
tol4o tol4o is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 181
Mein Auto: E46M3 & X5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubear99 View Post
Thanks to the California EcoNazis and others like them. I'd love to have a M diesel.
In 2014, Euro 6 emission standard will be accepted. The good this is that it will meet the strict CaliNazi requirements. Then all cars made for Europe will be able to be imported directly to USA without any additional emission lowering technologies. I hope we'll get a broad range of diesel powered cars in US. Cross your fingers
__________________
2011 X5 xdrive35D - The Ultimate Oil Burner - Alpine White / Oyster - Premium - Technology - Winter - Comfort Access - Rear Climate - 3rd Row - Roof Rails - Running Boards - Ipod/USB Adapter
2004 E46 ///M3 6SP Manual - Imola Red / Cinnamon - Premium - Luxury - Winter
2004 X3 E83 2.5i Auto (SOLD)
1996 318ti E36 Hatchback 4-cyl 5SP Manual (SOLD)
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 AM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,095
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by tol4o View Post
In 2014, Euro 6 emission standard will be accepted. The good this is that it will meet the strict CaliNazi requirements. Then all cars made for Europe will be able to be imported directly to USA without any additional emission lowering technologies. I hope we'll get a broad range of diesel powered cars in US. Cross your fingers
I wish

I want a F30 diesel
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM
bubear99 bubear99 is offline
Registered User
Location: West Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2011 Jet Black X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by tol4o View Post
In 2014, Euro 6 emission standard will be accepted. The good this is that it will meet the strict CaliNazi requirements. Then all cars made for Europe will be able to be imported directly to USA without any additional emission lowering technologies. I hope we'll get a broad range of diesel powered cars in US. Cross your fingers
That would be incredible. Fingers and toes crossed.

If Americans could realize that current diesel technology is light years ahead of the smoke spewing Peugeots, Volvos, and Benz's of the 70's and 80's diesel sales in the US would sky rocket.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tol4o View Post
I want one too, but they are not coming to US because of the emissions]
no, it's because of cost.

That engine is very expensive. Think about what an M550d would cost - about $95k.

What's the market for an M550d in this country when an M5 is the same price? Almost none.

Same for the X5 M50d.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 03-18-2012, 02:36 PM
ND40oz ND40oz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 601
Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
no, it's because of cost.

That engine is very expensive. Think about what an M550d would cost - about $95k.

What's the market for an M550d in this country when an M5 is the same price? Almost none.

Same for the X5 M50d.
Where are you getting your numbers for the cost of the engine from? X5 M50d is the same price as a 50i in the UK and 23k cheaper then an X5M. It's only a 8.5k bump to move from a 40d M-Sport to M50d.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM
CamberConfusion CamberConfusion is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tol4o View Post
The better MPG makes up the price difference

Higher octanes do not get better mpg. It is a myth.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:15 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,095
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberConfusion View Post
Higher octanes do not get better mpg. It is a myth.
you really that confused/dumb or just trolling?

when regular gasoline is used in a car that requires premium, the engine's computer changes its operation - it retards ignition timing - to adjust for lower octane fuel. This change in operation can decrease gas mileage and power

Last edited by AutoUnion; 03-18-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 PM
CamberConfusion CamberConfusion is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
you really that confused/dumb or just trolling?

when regular gasoline is used in a car that requires premium, the engine's computer changes its operation - it retards ignition timing - to adjust for lower octane fuel. This change in operation can decrease gas mileage and power

BMW's don't "require premium".

Yes you get less power with regular, not less MPG.

Last edited by CamberConfusion; 03-18-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,095
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberConfusion View Post
BMW's don't "require premium".

Yes you get less power with regular, not less MPG.
Are we seriously debating this? less power comes at the expense of lower MPG

jesus christ, can someone give OP an IQ test?


http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/126...ctane-gasoline

Quote:
Thomas Plucinsky, BMW Product and Technology Communications Manager told us all BMW engines are designed to run on 91 octane. All performance testing, including EPA emissions and fuel mileage, is done with 91 octane. However, though BMW is all about performance, their motors will run on 89 or 87 octane without damage. The knock sensors pull the ignition timing back and eliminate detonation. There will be a loss of power and a decrease in fuel mileage, but the size of the horsepower loss and the increase in fuel consumption depends upon many factors, such as ambient temperature, exact formulation of the fuel and driving technique, so BMW does not offer any estimates for operation on lower grade fuels. One not so obvious concern, Mr. Plucinsky noted, is the type and quality of additives the gasoline companies include in the fuel. Premium gasolines may have better additive packages which are more effective keeping fuel systems (particularly injectors) clean and working efficiently, than those in regular grade fuels or off-brand products. Using lower octane or off-brand fuel could be degrading the fuel system over time, setting you up for a repair bill down the line.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 03-18-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 PM
CamberConfusion CamberConfusion is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Are we seriously debating this? less power comes at the expense of lower MPG

jesus christ, can someone give OP an IQ test?


http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/126...ctane-gasoline

No because 87 contains more energy.

Educate yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,095
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberConfusion View Post
No because 87 contains more energy.

Educate yourself.
If it contains more energy, why do these engines make less power at 87 versus 91+? Why do they get better MPG at higher octanes? because they were designed to run on higher octanes. See BMW doesn't realize that there are cheap BMW owners out there who are stingy to put the proper petrol into their $50k+ SUV


Do Bimmerfest a favor. Post up your VIN so none of us end up with it when you ruin the injectors/fuel system in the future and pawn it off to another poor soul

Last edited by AutoUnion; 03-18-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 PM
CamberConfusion CamberConfusion is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
If it contains more energy, why do these engines make less power at 87 versus 91+? Why do they get better MPG at higher octanes? because they were designed to run on higher octanes. See BMW doesn't realize that there are cheap BMW owners out there who are stingy to put the proper petrol into their $50k+ SUV


Do Bimmerfest a favor. Post up your VIN so none of us end up with it when you ruin the injectors/fuel system in the future and pawn it off to another poor soul

When someone runs out of facts they just hurl insults.

Tier 1 gas is ethanol blended crap that causes all sorts of problems. See BMW service bulletins from 2006 especially. So all the people who use that stuff, should post their VINS, so they don't pawn it off on other people.

Last edited by CamberConfusion; 03-18-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,095
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberConfusion View Post
When someone runs out of facts they just hurl insults.

Tier 1 gas is ethanol blended crap that causes all sorts of problems. See BMW service bulletins from 2006 especially. So all the people who use that stuff, should post their VINS.


I'm done with you and it seems everyone else in this thread. Can't argue with complete ignorance.

You've earned a coveted spot on the ignore list.

Good day
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 PM
CamberConfusion CamberConfusion is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Can't argue with complete ignorance.

Ethanol blended gas creates gunk. You would think it would be cleaner, since ethanol is a nice clean liquid.

See Big Bob Oil forum.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-18-2012, 09:23 PM
CamberConfusion CamberConfusion is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Can't argue with complete ignorance.

I think the ridiculous thing is that is pretty common knowledge to point of cliche that running ethanol blended gas reduces your MPG by a lot.

There are so many posts about this everywhere on the web.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 PM
kanar200's Avatar
kanar200 kanar200 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 741
Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
no, it's because of cost.

That engine is very expensive. Think about what an M550d would cost - about $95k.

What's the market for an M550d in this country when an M5 is the same price? Almost none.

Same for the X5 M50d.
you are comparing US prices of M5 with European prices of 50d - that makes big difference
__________________


WTB: spare tire kit
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03-18-2012, 10:39 PM
335i 335i is offline
Sup3rman
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,209
Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberConfusion View Post
BMW's don't "require premium".

Yes you get less power with regular, not less MPG.
So, I'm curious: What is your opinion of AV fuel (jet fuel)? Just overpriced 87?
__________________
2011 ///M3 Sedan Alpine White/Bamboo Beige/Piano Black ED 9/16/2011
2011 X5d Alpine White/Cinnamon/Bamboo PCD 6/21/2010




2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 AM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 736
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
So, I'm curious: What is your opinion of AV fuel (jet fuel)? Just overpriced 87?
Yup, as long as it doesn't have ethanol its "premium" /camberconfusion

__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post


I'm done with you and it seems everyone else in this thread. Can't argue with complete ignorance.
TO be honest, it is one of the most ignorant threads I've seen on in this forum. From "tarnished" engines to other similar statements that show several people on this thread do not understand what they are talking about, but merely parroting what they hear elsewhere... sometimes hearing things like "tarnish" when the person obviously must have said "varnish."
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 AM
335i 335i is offline
Sup3rman
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,209
Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
Yup, as long as it doesn't have ethanol its "premium" /camberconfusion

LOL.. Let's just hope he isn't allowed to fuel jets. We'd still be sitting on the tarmac, and he'd still be swearing 87 and AV fuel are the same, that he was just saving us money.
__________________
2011 ///M3 Sedan Alpine White/Bamboo Beige/Piano Black ED 9/16/2011
2011 X5d Alpine White/Cinnamon/Bamboo PCD 6/21/2010




2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM
CamberConfusion CamberConfusion is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
TO be honest, it is one of the most ignorant threads I've seen on in this forum. From "tarnished" engines to other similar statements that show several people on this thread do not understand what they are talking about, but merely parroting what they hear elsewhere... sometimes hearing things like "tarnish" when the person obviously must have said "varnish."



I try to live by facts and science as best I can.

Last edited by CamberConfusion; 03-19-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 03-19-2012, 01:29 PM
CamberConfusion CamberConfusion is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
Yup, as long as it doesn't have ethanol its "premium" /camberconfusion


You should go for whatever gas has the least amount of ethanol, regardless of your budget. Ethanol is surprisingly nasty stuff.

Unless you are using Chevron/Texaco gas, it is really hypocritcal to fuel with Tier 1, because every detergent besides PEA leaves a residue behind.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms