Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Directly from the BMW Canada website.

Who gives a shtt what your sales guy told you.

Quote:
Max. output: BMW recommends the use of super unleaded 95 RON fuel. Unleaded RON 91 fuel or higher with a maximum ethanol limit of 10 percent (E10) is also permitted. The performance and fuel consumption rates listed are based on the use of RON 98 fuel.
By far the dumbest thread of the year.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Directly from the BMW Canada website.

Who gives a shtt what your sales guy told you.

By far the dumbest thread of the year.

Was there a point there??
Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
BMW's have a max ethanol limit of 10%, but Shell uses more than 10%

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=411398
Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamberConfusion View Post
Was there a point there??
And... ignored.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: E46M3 & X5D
:What about the original topic of this thread, please forget about the gasoline conversation, we are diesel guys.
The gas guys can't swallow that they made a mistake buying a gas X5 and they desperately need some attention to foolishly trick themselves that they got the right car /no offense/
1996 318ti E36 Hatchback 4-cyl 5SP Manual (SOLD)

Last edited by tol4o; 03-19-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Jet Black X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by tol4o View Post
What about the original topic of this thread, please forget about the gasoline conversation, we are diesel guys.
The gas guys can't swallow that they made a mistake buying a gas X5 and they desperately need some attention to foolishly trick themselves that they got the right car
Yeah, but do you use super diesel, or regular diesel?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubear99 View Post
Yeah, but do you use super diesel, or regular diesel?
I use only shell premium diesel. At the TDI forums I found that it has between 45 and 48 cetane rating
Once and last I tried (not sure if it was Sunoco or Citgo) diesel 40 cetane, but the engine was running like a tractor plus lower MPG. Had to use some LiquiMoly Super Diesel additive to help the engine to swallow it before the next Shell fill-up

Last edited by tol4o; 03-19-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I use only shell premium diesel. At the TDI forums I found that it has between 45 and 48 cetane rating
Once and last I tried (not sure if it was Sunoco or Citgo) diesel 40 cetane, but the engine was running like a tractor plus lower MPG. Had to use some LiquiMoly Super Diesel additive to help the engine to swallow it before the next Shell fill-up
Too literal dude. Out in west TX, we have a choice between diesel or diesel.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
If it contains more energy, why do these engines make less power at 87 versus 91+? Why do they get better MPG at higher octanes? because they were designed to run on higher octanes. See BMW doesn't realize that there are cheap BMW owners out there who are stingy to put the proper petrol into their $50k+ SUV

Do Bimmerfest a favor. Post up your VIN so none of us end up with it when you ruin the injectors/fuel system in the future and pawn it off to another poor soul
Sorry but CC is correct.

91+ octane has greater knock resistance, which is what allows it to make higher maximum power. That is NOT the same thing as fuel efficiency. Do you need that added knock resistance while sitting and idling? What about while loafing down the highway? Nope and nope. What's more useful in a lot of those situations is higher energy content per gallon, which is precisely what 87 octane has. There are far too many variables in play to be able to make blanket statements as to which fuel octane level will give you the best overall MPGs. Specific vehicle, gearing, routes, traffic, average speeds, driving style, etc. I've had this go both ways in vehicles I've owned over the years.

more pics here
Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Quote:
:What about the original topic of this thread, please forget about the gasoline conversation, we are diesel guys.
The gas guys can't swallow that they made a mistake buying a gas X5 and they desperately need some attention to foolishly trick themselves that they got the right car /no offense/
Right, foolish tricks like that the turbo gas is faster, has a superior transmission, costs less initially, has lower or very close net operational costs, has less "hassle factor" regarding fill-ups and adblue refills. Right, right, great point.

Given the low 6000 lb tow limit, and the clear ability of the turbo gas to tow that---I know, having towed a covered trailer with a racecar inside about 2500 miles including through the Rockies and into 30 mph winds; have you tested the towing ability of the turbo gas???--any justification for the diesel has disappeared, and it is just personal subjective preference and ego gratification beyond that.

Both are great choices. The foolishness is not admitting that.

No offense.

Last edited by dcharnet; 03-20-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Not Me.. I hate the loud diesel engine noise, and the smell... I will be ordering a new X5 soon and it will be a 35i.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
Quote:
I find the tier 1 standards slightly contradictory.

Even though the BMW manual tells you to steer the fcuck away from ethanol containing E 85 (saying that it will mess up your engine) the "tier 1" standards mandate 8-10% ethanol.

I would rather have pure gas, and use Techron before an oil change.
http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/126...ctane-gasoline
This pretty much explains it all.
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav
Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
Quote:
Well I'm surprised that even in the latest manuals with the twin turbo engines, it says you can use 87 (see BMWUSA.COM).

I don't even have twin turboes. I have the older engine from 2008.
Preminum Unleaded fuel is required/recommended for all high compression engines, including motorcycles. Turbo based engines are typically high compression engines, but does not mean that your 08 bimmer is not a high compression engine. The only reason you can get around "fine" on 87 octane fuel is because you have a computer which retards the timing and performance of the engine to avoid premature explosion of 87 octane fuel in the cylinder otherwise known as knocking, therefore reducing performance and gas mileage. you may save initially at the pump but you will be filling up more frequently, getting worse gas mileage and decreased performance, so basically whats the point?
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav
Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Not Me.. I hate the loud diesel engine noise, and the smell... I will be ordering a new X5 soon and it will be a 35i.
Smell????????

My Silverado smells like a tractor (which I love) and my wife hates that. I can start the X5d up in the garage before I open the door (homelink for not working while off). And my wfie has never once even mentioned a smell...

I'll stick my nose by the tailpipe tonight to confirm but I certainly don't think it "smells".

I suppose it spews black smoke too?

Jay
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussy109 View Post
Preminum Unleaded fuel is required/recommended for all high compression engines, including motorcycles. Turbo based engines are typically high compression engines, but does not mean that your 08 bimmer is not a high compression engine. The only reason you can get around "fine" on 87 octane fuel is because you have a computer which retards the timing and performance of the engine to avoid premature explosion of 87 octane fuel in the cylinder otherwise known as knocking, therefore reducing performance and gas mileage. you may save initially at the pump but you will be filling up more frequently, getting worse gas mileage and decreased performance, so basically whats the point?
Up to the bolded part is true. The bolded part is, at best, only conditionally true, which means that in some cases it's also not true. Again, a long highway haul you do NOT need anything higher than 87 octane fuel, 87 octane has more energy content for unit (BTUs), and can give better mileage unless you're going through a lot of hills or are towing.

The BMW and other manufacturers' comments are designed to steer you towards putting whatever they want you to put in the car. Unfortunately, cars are a lot more complicated than blanket statements like these.

Times they be a changing too.... No, premium fuel is not necessarily a requirement for any and all high compression and/or turbocharged engines. A LOT of factors go into determining whether or not a higher octane fuel will be required. Compression ratio is the most visible of those factors for sure, but there are others. The new Mazda SkyActiv engines are naturally aspirated and direct injected and run 14.0:1 compression ratios in Europe, or 13.0:1 in the U.S., on regular fuel. GM's 60* DOHC V6 engines are running 12-13:1 compression ratios on regular gas also, along with a lot of their other engines. The engine/generator in the Chevy Volt is not a super high compression engine, but it actually requires premium! Different engine, vastly different usage and typical loading, and thus different fueling requirements.

Somebody from the UK on the F10 forum has a 550i with the Twin-Turbo V8. They've tried it and found no noticeable decrease in performance OR MILEAGE by putting regular grade fuel in the car. They do a lot of highway driving, which is precisely the condition which minimizes your need for fuel octane level, especially with such a huge and powerful engine. How heavily do you have to load that engine to keep an F10 moving on the highway? Hardly at all, and most certainly not enough to truly be needing higher octane fuel if that's the majority of your driving.

I do think it's silly to be driving such a powerful and expensive car just to put regular gas in it, but hey.... It can work just fine in some cases.

more pics here

Last edited by SteVTEC; 03-20-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Not Me.. I hate the loud diesel engine noise, and the smell...
Just to add, you forgot the black clouds of smoke buddy, also the low torque, low power and engine not starting in cold temps
I guess you should contact Mythbusters

Last edited by tol4o; 03-21-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Just to add, you forgot the black clouds of smoke buddy, also the low torque, low power and engine not starting in cold temps
I guess you should contact Mythbusters
Are you saying that diesel engine is not loud and is only a myth?

Here is a Qtip knock your self out!
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
W/O the diesel credit in thousands of dollars, probably not a single one of these diesel owners would be driving the 35d right now. They hate admitting it, but its ok, we petro owners understand.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 03-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
W/O the diesel credit in thousands of dollars, probably not a single one of these diesel owners would be driving the 35d right now. They hate admitting it, but its ok, we petro owners understand.
I freely admit it. The diesel is better, but not $3,500 better.

SO when the diesel credits were offered, I jumped at the chance in 2010 to get better performance and better mpg without paying more for it.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Wow, a bunch of diesel haters here ( my car is better then your car kid stuff). I love the diesel for so many reasons but you gas folks can feel the same for yours. But NO WAY can you out perform the diesel no matter how much you pound your keyboard. Get over it enjoy what you have and move on. What a stupid stupid thread. The op must have been board stiff to start it in the first place. Sorry I read it in the first place.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 03-22-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I got diesel because I wanted diesel and the ECO credit was a nice bonus on top of that. I believe the bigger part of the X5D owners think the same

0428 for the last 2 years in this forum you've been trying to convince yourself that you didn't make a mistake of buying a gas X5. In all your posts you've been spitting against the diesel engine. That's wrong because everyone has his own preference for the engine type. Enjoy what you have

Last edited by tol4o; 03-22-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Totally wrong. I've had my D for less than 8 months, and I'm just shy of 18,000 miles. I got a diesel because I love having a 500+ mile range on a single tank. I also love the torque, and the fact that I can easily reprogram it for more performance. If BMW brought the X5M diesel over here, it would definitely be on my list.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
I would have still bought my 2010 X5 35d without the credit.
Chuck
Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 AM

It looks like the X5 diesel guys are majority here and I guess the most of them think like me, that 35i (3.0L twin-turbo) engine is great (except some HPFP failures in the past) but this engine sits much better installed in coupes, sedans, hatcbacks etc.
Gas engine in SUV equals a diesel engine in Ferrari
Diesel engine is the one and the only that should be installed in any kind of SUV and this should be written with a law

And you are right this thread is getting wild

Last edited by tol4o; 03-23-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 3.0
My future solar/pedal powered X5 will be better than petrol and diesel X5's