Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-12-2012, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i M-package
2012 535i m sport in Silver titanium or jet black

Ok, I am now going back and forth with black or silver. Any pics from the forum members to help me decide?
Ads by Google
Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
As a detailer, I can personally tell you that Jet Black is the biggest PITA color that BMW offers. It scratches easily and is the most difficult to correct.

If you want black, I would highly suggest a metallic black such as sapphire or maybe even carbon black if ordering a sport package.

Bryan Burnworth

Mine-2011 335is SGM

Hers-12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012

Kelleners Hamburg Graphite Silver Metallic 19x8.5/9.5 Michelin PS A/S+ Gloss to the max by me.

99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Jet black is good for only one thing....showing paint holograms.

gmblack is 1000% correct.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
I had a Saphire Black F10 and thought it was the best looking F10 color at the time. I have now changed preference and think that TiA is the best. If you like both go with TiA since it's much easier to keep clean and fresh, now and in the long run. CB is lovely but also tougher to maintain.

Last edited by solstice; 03-12-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 PM

TIA - Titanium silver right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I had a Saphire Black F10 and thought it was the best looking F10 color at the time. I have now changed preference and think that TiA is the best. If you like both go with TiA since it's much easier to keep clean and fresh, now and in the long run. CB is lovely but also tougher to maintain.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
take this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	316324  

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiliouf View Post
Yup, TiA or Titanium Ag ( Argentum ) is BMW geek lingo for Titanium Silver.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
You can always try Carbon Black...with

one of these handy...saw the guy who fixed my dents use one today. Excellent.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
Superfast Silver FTW! I learned my lesson with dark cars once again. I am more than an average caliber detailer. I've been doing it for a long time with all the good stuff. No matter how lightly you try with BMW's dark paints, swirling will show. Silver will show, but much, much, less.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
I highly advise against any novice using a rotary.

A meguiars G110 V2 or a Griots 6" polisher is much safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
You can always try Carbon Black...with

one of these handy...saw the guy who fixed my dents use one today. Excellent.

Bryan Burnworth

Mine-2011 335is SGM

Hers-12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012

Kelleners Hamburg Graphite Silver Metallic 19x8.5/9.5 Michelin PS A/S+ Gloss to the max by me.

99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 03-13-2012, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Actually, I think Makita's slow smooth start-up feature and 0-3,000 rpm variable settings make it a great machine to use. You are right, if you do not know what you are doing, or over do it, you can end up making matters worse.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 AM

Trust me, I am not going to try myself. I just find it hard to find a good detailer. Sometimes I think If I had the time of learning to do it myself it might be better than some group of guys that don't know anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
Actually, I think Makita's slow smooth start-up feature and 0-3,000 rpm variable settings make it a great machine to use. You are right, if you do not know what you are doing, or over do it, you can end up making matters worse.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
Not sure why all the negative comments on dark colors. A "CLEAN" dark color has always impressed me more than a ligher shade such as silver. I've owned jet black, shaphire black and now have a carbon black M-Sport. I've had my CB for almost a year and have had no problems with scratches or swirl marks. Qualifiers are however, that I hand wash two-three times a week and never take it to a car wash. I spray detail it once a week and four times a year give it a good wax job.

Stay with the silver or other light shade if you even thinking about taking it to a car wash other than brushless laser or self wash.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmgr View Post
Not sure why all the negative comments on dark colors. A "CLEAN" dark color has always impressed me more than a ligher shade such as silver. I've owned jet black, shaphire black and now have a carbon black M-Sport. I've had my CB for almost a year and have had no problems with scratches or swirl marks. Qualifiers are however, that I hand wash two-three times a week and never take it to a car wash. I spray detail it once a week and four times a year give it a good wax job.

Stay with the silver or other light shade if you even thinking about taking it to a car wash other than brushless laser or self wash.
Jet black, for a number of reasons, is a nightmare. Not in keeping clean, but with showing paint imperfections. Basically, the reason that a clean dark color is more impressive is the same reason that it's harder to keep from showing paint defects.

My Sophisto F10 sits next to our silver MDX in the garage. The MDX has 77k miles and is 5 years old. Yet you see far fewer defects in the silver, merely scratches. I am sure there are holograms and swirls galore, but you can't see them unless you REALLY look.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
go silver.
ive had black,and dont think id ever go back.

black gets hot. shows swirls ,dust and dirt.
it does look good at night.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 AM

Well I do like the Titanium Silver as well so it's not a big deal. Now I just have to decide if I want the Aluminum trim or wood or anthracite wood trim for the interior. Black interior is what I definitely want as well.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Jet Black is a nightmare and silver is just boring. I don't notice nice cars that are silver because it just doesn't stand out. I now have sapphire black which is actually not that bad considering being black. The metallic flakes really help in keeping it look great. I am obsessed with keeping my car clean and detailed year round and I very happy with this choice.
2011 535i, 06/11 Build, Black Sapphire, Black Dakota, Dark Wood, 6mt, PP 1 & 2, Premium Sound, Soft Close Doors, Convenience, Driver Assist, Cold Weather, Nav, SAT, 35% Suntek Tint, BMWPedals, Coded, Xpel Paint Prot.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmblack3 View Post
As a detailer, I can personally tell you that Jet Black is the biggest PITA color that BMW offers. It scratches easily and is the most difficult to correct.

If you want black, I would highly suggest a metallic black such as sapphire or maybe even carbon black if ordering a sport package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Jet black is good for only one thing....showing paint holograms.

gmblack is 1000% correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Well I do like the Titanium Silver as well so it's not a big deal. Now I just have to decide if I want the Aluminum trim or wood or anthracite wood trim for the interior. Black interior is what I definitely want as well.
To OP....I can help you because my E60 was titanium silver and my F10 is black sapphire. The silver looks good and is very easy to care for.....hides imperfections and cleans up easily. The black sapphire is more of a pain, but no where near as a PITA as jet black. I had a jet black x5 and cursed that color until the day I traded it....stay far away from jet black. I like my black sapphire, but will probably go back to silver or alpine white for the next one. Take from this what you will....
Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason60050 View Post
Jet Black is a nightmare and silver is just boring. I don't notice nice cars that are silver because it just doesn't stand out. I now have sapphire black which is actually not that bad considering being black. The metallic flakes really help in keeping it look great. I am obsessed with keeping my car clean and detailed year round and I very happy with this choice.
As far as black cars go the black sapphire is the best black color I have seen yet.....this is the only black car I have owned (and I have owned many) that I would actually buy again. Nevertheless, alpine white, titanium silver and dark graphite are my 3 favorite F10 colors.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason60050 View Post
me to. very good points.

Proud BMW owner.[img]https://*******************/fitness/upload/40/a/reading.gif[/img] Been driving BMW for as long as I could drive.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Aluminium trim will look great with that combo. Sporty and clean looking. It's not warm and inviting though but since you are going M-Sport and black interior you might prefer a more sporty look rather than a luxurious one. That would actually be my favourite combo on an F10 today, TiA + Black leather + Alu trim. Be sure you see the trims in person prior to order, pictures don't show them well.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: ED 2012 535xi TiAg
My 2007 E60 is Monaco Blue, which is very dark, and hard to distinguish from black in the evening. I love it when it's just washed and polished, but frankly, I'm a bit tired of the once or twice a week washing. My new F10, which I'm picking up in Munich on April 19, will be TiAg. I'm looking forward to this color, for all the reasons stated above. Even though there are many silver cars on the road, I find the BMW TiAg to be somewhat different (better), in that it has a hint of white in it. The silver F10's look very impressive to me, and more exciting looking than the Space Gray. IMHO, the lines of the car, especially the M Sport front end, look more defined in the TiAg than in a dark color.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
If you truly love a black car and can care for it, go Jet Black.

My E60 was Sapphire...my F10, jet black. And I love it. I hated Sapphire...how it looked charcoal.

I'm a slave to my car's paint, but I'm cool with that.

Silver is a snooze....

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
If you truly love a black car and can care for it, go Jet Black.

My E60 was Sapphire...my F10, jet black. And I love it. I hated Sapphire...how it looked charcoal.

I'm a slave to my car's paint, but I'm cool with that.

Silver is a snooze....
ha...silver is snooze!!
2011 535i, 06/11 Build, Black Sapphire, Black Dakota, Dark Wood, 6mt, PP 1 & 2, Premium Sound, Soft Close Doors, Convenience, Driver Assist, Cold Weather, Nav, SAT, 35% Suntek Tint, BMWPedals, Coded, Xpel Paint Prot.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Much love to u guys with black cars
Njoy as u say "being a slave" to washing it and having angst everytime u walk outside
in dismay in the fact that its filthy .
this is not a dig on u......its just a reality.
I just came from the a jet black AMG.
I get final say in all this cause I had 507 awd SUV.....lol

Silver rules.....and u know it!

Hey let's make this fun! Go out and take the very best photo in the day with great
Light and one at night. In one weeks time well.all vote who wins and whats color is the best and the most striking!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps