Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
Silver looks really good on the five series. I see one on the streets of Boston everyday and remark on how good it looks. However, although I agree that silver is easy to maintain, looks better when dirty and hides scratches nicely, nothing looks better than a dark color when clean and shiny. I have had silver and pretty much every color BMW offers over the years. My approach is to not look too close. I have my cars detailed a 2 or 3 times per year and they look as good as new from a distance. In the old days when hand waxing, it would make me want to throw-up seeing all the blemishes, stone chips, etc. This Dark Graphite I have now is a little of the best of both worlds, but definitely on the darker side.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li

Last edited by Joe-BMW; 03-13-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmgr View Post
Not sure why all the negative comments on dark colors. A "CLEAN" dark color has always impressed me more than a ligher shade such as silver. I've owned jet black, shaphire black and now have a carbon black M-Sport. I've had my CB for almost a year and have had no problems with scratches or swirl marks. Qualifiers are however, that I hand wash two-three times a week and never take it to a car wash. I spray detail it once a week and four times a year give it a good wax job.

Stay with the silver or other light shade if you even thinking about taking it to a car wash other than brushless laser or self wash.
You hand wash 2-3 times a week? Holy crap. You really love your car.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i M-package
to each his own. Car probably looks immaculate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
Old 03-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
I think I'm the only havana, and wondering why... in sunlight this colour kicks a.....

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
You are correct
Absolutely beautiful....congrats

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 03-14-2012, 01:45 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
I think I'm the only havana, and wondering why... in sunlight this colour kicks a.....

[/QUOTE]

It's the new hot colour.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:28 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Havana is awesome and I would get it if I got a new one.

I think the reason it's so rare is that most, if not all, dealers won't order it. So seeing it in person or buying it off the lot is very uncommon. You have to almost make a leap of faith.

Great color, though. I've seen one or two and I love how it changes color in the light.

By the way, what wheels are those?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 03-14-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
Yeah, that's what my ex-wife use to say. Let's put it this way. The senior women in my development call me the "Clean Car Guy".

Washing for me is a form of stress relief after a long day at work. Washed it last night when I got home. Sunny upper 60's temperature this time of year in Northern Ohio is rare. Just some nice piece and quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1953 View Post
Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Yeah, that's what my ex-wife use to say. Let's put it this way. The senior women in my development call me the "Clean Car Guy".

Washing for me is a form of stress relief after a long day at work. Washed it last night when I got home. Sunny upper 60's temperature this time of year in Northern Ohio is rare. Just some nice piece and quiet.
It is a stress reliever for me as well. But no way do I get to do it 2-3 times a week. More like 2-3 times a month.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Havana sure is a good name. That's the other end of the spectrum from a TiAg+Black+Alu. Havana with beige interior and light wood is like a cigar lounge. Warm, inviting and luxurious. Very nice but imo maybe not the best look for an M-Sport car.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Havana sure is a good name. That's the other end of the spectrum from a TiAg+Black+Alu. Havana with beige interior and light wood is like a cigar lounge. Warm, inviting and luxurious. Very nice but imo maybe not the best look for an M-Sport car.
Definitely disagree. Personally, I think it looks BETTER with the sport kit. And of course, on the M5

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 03-14-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Just some nice piece and quiet.
There's a joke here somewhere.

On another note, I do very much enjoy car care. Looking forward to some paint correction this weekend and a full detail!

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 03-14-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Havana is awesome and I would get it if I got a new one.

I think the reason it's so rare is that most, if not all, dealers won't order it. So seeing it in person or buying it off the lot is very uncommon. You have to almost make a leap of faith.

Great color, though. I've seen one or two and I love how it changes color in the light.

By the way, what wheels are those?
Funny, my dealer had a demo Havana in the showroom and from the first time I saw it, I almost threw up... seriously didn't like it and swore that I'd never order one. It was not until my wife and I finally signed the dotted line and started walking around the lot picking our colours for the order, when we realized that this won't be so easy. We could not agree on the colour, period. Seriously stalemated, we walk by a interestingly looking Z4... what colour is it, we ask. "Havana" was the reply. Stunning looking colour in bright sunlight, we've fallen in love in a matter of seconds (mind you we've spent hours arguing about all the other colours on the lot). So Havana it is. Yes, the colour changes a lot and some angles on a cloudy day will produce a 'so so' look, but we have no regrets in the end, most of the time it looks quite magnificent (well, she still likes black better, but I said "no!" LOL).

The wheels are stock 18" (remember those darn RFTs that pulled?) and below that is my winter set, also 18" with no pull whatsoever. Can't remember the brand but it was discontinued anyway as I was told so I got it quite cheap ($129 per wheel I think). BTW they resemble another wheel a lot (Dunderhi has it too I believe) that's about twice as much, so I got a pretty good deal. They give the F10 a bit of a more aggressive, sporty look IMO, while the stock 18"s are more refined and mature.

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca
Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Definitely disagree. Personally, I think it looks BETTER with the sport kit. And of course, on the M5
To each his own. For me those M5 pix confirms my view. Yogi's car is way better looking in that color imo. I'd take the M5 in Silver without hesitating. But colors are very subjective.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535xi M
In typical "defend my personal decision on the internet" fashion, as a Jet Black owner:

Are you leasing the car or buying it? That would have some effect on my decision. I'm leasing my Jet Black, so I've decided not to be so obsessed with maintaining a perfect paint job and just enjoy it. Not sure I could avoid obsessing if I owned it. Mine is currently sparkling after a wash last night, and it is bar none the best color when clean. Major PITA to get clean, doesn't stay clean very long, but man does it look nice when it is clean.

When choosing colors the dealer had all 3 blacks next to each other, and Jet Black looked the best to my eye, and for that matter the only one that actually looked black.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M Package
Too hot in FL for black...
2012 535i M-sport: Alpine White/AnthraciteTrim, Black Nappa Leather, Cold Weather, Luxury Seat, Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, Technology Pkg, ARS, 6 MT, HUD, Active Steering, 270 Cameras. 75% Llumar outside-100% Llumar inside.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
I'd go a totally different color and go with Alpine White.
I am bias as I have an AW F10

I have had black car previously and I hated how it showed all dirt, dust, swirl marks and you get lazy as time goes on and it looks worse and worse.

Silver, just doesn't have the wow factor for me.

I believe the Alpine White shows all the lines of the F10 and looks fantastic.

Thats just my opinion
Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:

I'm with yah brother. Washing for me is also stress relief. I do it in the dead of winter at the spray wash with a couple of could micro fibre towels....or if its really that bad out... go to the hand car wash a few blocks away. Gotta have a clean car....