Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i GT; 1976 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyed View Post
For the record, Invoice + MACO + Training + $800. Plus $1500 more on my trade than 3 other dealers. That's good, right?

We chuckled that the State makes more on the deal that the car dealer!
Your deal sounds fine - particularly with the economy starting to improve a bit and the DJIA above 13000.

Don't worry about the dealer. Invoice is not true cost; nor is the $800 their only profit.

At this point the deal is done, you move past it - and enjoy your car!

Looking forward to pics (start another thread)...
Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 PM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Ok, so now you have me all strung out that my deal wasn't that good?

I thought I left a little meat on the bone, but was that too much? I have read that BMW does not use "holdbacks", so how else do they make money, chewy?

What is your experience, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i GT; 1976 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyed View Post
Ok, so now you have me all strung out that my deal wasn't that good?

I thought I left a little meat on the bone, but was that too much? I have read that BMW does not use "holdbacks", so how else do they make money, chewy?

What is your experience, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, I did not intend to imply anything about your deal. I think you did a fine job. It sounds like you got a good offset from your trade-in. If you got closer to invoice on the new car they would have taken more off of the trade-in. Overall the deal is good.

I am only saying once the deal is done, there's not much to be gained in second guessing it - just enjoy the car. In my business experience you put the completed transactions behind you and move on to the next deal - that's all I meant to say.

As far as dealer profitability is concerned, I just think if you look at the costs of running a dealership - a few hundred dollars over invoice is not all the profit. You cannot cover costs with only that... My salesman admits to holdbacks - but I am sure there are other ways dealers make money (on new car sales). I try not to look too much into the pocket of the other party of any deal - only try to negotiate fairly, but hard....

My deal was invoice plus $500, not including the dumb luck incentive at delivery. I think your deal is comparable given the different economic circumstances of now vs. when my deal was made six months ago.... I have read of deals in the forum of a couple of hundred above invoice - But that does not take anything away from my deal or your deal. All the circumstances are unique so you cannot really compare too closely.

The only thing that counts is whether or not we are happy with the cars at the price that we paid.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:14 PM
What's Not to Love??

Well that makes me feel better! It really came down to the trade. Because these guys offered me $1500 more than anyone else for the 2008 (after negotiating too), it's like getting the GT around $400-500 below invoice from the other dealers.

On TrueCar.com, I saw the "dealer cost" price point, which looks to be roughly 97.5% of invoice. So that implies a 2.5% holdback or however BMW works it. Maybe getting the full amount is linked customer satisfaction? That would be clever.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, chewy, about putting the deal behind me and just enjoy the car. Probably because I haven't taken delivery yet (and we have a state law that essentially allows contracts to be ripped up within 3 days of signing), I'm still thinking about all of this.

I wish they had thrown in the rubber floormats and cargo mat.......
Old 03-18-2012, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 35d
Cargo mat

Cargo mat - make sure you call weathertech - they have the fit to order cargo mat but only if you call them. I would not be without it....
Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 PM
What's Not to Love??

Wardman, is this Weathertec different than what BMW offers? I think I saw a rubber mat on the accessories page for $100 and change. What did you get?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:14 PM

For the cargo area - I went Weathertech and I think it was about $100.00. But it was not on the web site at the time and I had to call them directly to get it. Now it looks like it is there. It fits all areas and BMW's may be cut square, not to shape. I have a 2012 535x GT so this is def it : http://www.weathertech.com/bmw/2011/...o/cargo-liner/

For the front rubber floormats, my dealer gave me a gift card so I got BMW brand for about $60 after a $50 credit. I did not get rear rubber floor matts.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Note that there's a slight difference in the driver's side front mat shape and the WeatherTec exact fit ones just did not fit properly for the X-drive verses the rear-wheel drive version of the vehicle. I'd bought the front and back sets last fall, and had to send the front ones back. I ended up with the factory ones for the front instead, but kept the rear WeatherTec version. They had not had a chance to measure the x-drive version and thought they were the same. They may have resolved that by now, but if you have an x-drive, I'd call them to double-check if they don't list different ones for the two drive versions.

The primary difference is in the shape of the transmission hump - the x-drive has a bump in it that the rear-drive version doesn't (or at least did on my Apr 2011 build x-drive).
Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 PM
What's Not to Love??

Wardman, are you saying that this cargo mat, http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...nterId=5656802 , is not exactly contoured for the 535xiGT cargo area? It looks like the wrong picture, that's for sure.

I'll see what my dealer prices all of this stuff out at - I'm a little miffed that the rubber mats aren't included for courtesy. Maybe they will surprise me, but I'm not holding my breath. WeatherTec sounds like a good option if they worked out the whole X-Drive hump thing. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 PM

Now I'm not sure. I know the Weathertech is cut to fit the cargo area of the 2012 535ix GT. It has a lip all the way around so when I throw wet stuff back there (fishing/hunting) it stays onthe mat. The BMW one may be fit to order like it says inthe description, but I did not look at that option originally.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:53 PM
What's Not to Love??

A lip all the way around would be sweet. I have to find out..... Thanks for the feedback about yours!

I think I've managed to hijack my own thread! :-)
Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
BMW sells a couple of different ones (actually, I think it's three) for the GT, I think at least one has a lip.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 AM

Now if they would just sell us a spot for a spare tire and get rid of the sunroof option. IMO - this car would be even more sweet with a 1 inch lower roof line and hard top only. I'll get beat up, but the moon roof is not a priority for me other than an ocasional cracking to vent heat out.

But they are different threads to highjack.....