Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Driver Assistance Package

My dealer has found a 535i that is nearly a perfect match for what I am looking for:

Space grey, black dakota, anthracite trim, M-sport, premium pkg, premium sound, technology pkg, heated front seats, rear window shades, and driver assistance package. The only thing it has that I wasn't planning on getting is the driver assistance package. Does anybody have this and is it a good thing, or an annoyance. It's a $1,350 option. Certainly not lifestyle changing but not cheap. Input is appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
I have it...I don't find it to be an annoyance at all. I hardly ever use it.
2011 535i, 06/11 Build, Black Sapphire, Black Dakota, Dark Wood, 6mt, PP 1 & 2, Premium Sound, Soft Close Doors, Convenience, Driver Assist, Cold Weather, Nav, SAT, 35% Suntek Tint, BMWPedals, Coded, Xpel Paint Prot.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Jaguar F-Type S
I special ordered my car with the driver assistance pkg. without having used it. I could not find a dealer in my area that had a car in stock with this option at the time. I read numerous opinions on this pkg in various forums and opted to get it even after many mediocre reviews. After using it for a while, I have some reservations as to whether I would buy it again. I live in N. CA and live in a high traffic area. The auto high beam feature is useless for me, but I had to get it because it was part of the pkg. I have not actually had one opportunity to use it yet, so I cannot comment on how well it works. The lane departure warning is okay but I find that I tune out the vibrations the more I get used to the car, which defeats the purpose of having it. It works, but something you can live without. I mainly bought the pkg because I wanted the blind spot detection. Changing lanes in heavy traffic in my area is risky and scary at times. I thought this feature would help me keep the paint on the side of my car. The problem I have with it is that only works above 43mph. I find I need this feature the most when I am on the freeway in bumper to bumper traffic between 25 30mph when trying to change lanes or get off an exit. I also find the triangles in the mirrors are at a position where I do not see them with my peripheral vision, which causes me to turn my head constantly. The triangles could be brighter in my opinion and I forget they are there most of the time. I really have to force myself to use the blind spot detection because it is very subtle. I used this feature on a new Chrysler Town & Country van recently and thought it worked well. The reason is because it did a better job of capturing my attention when the amber warning lighted on the mirror. If BMW figured out a way to display the blind spot warnings on the HUD or instrument cluster then I would say it this option would be worth the expense. If I were to order my car again today, I would probably not buy the driver assistance pkg unless BMW improved this option. I would likely spend the money on ARS, AIS, nappa leather or even the ceramic controls on my next BMW. If you not considering it, I do recommend getting the HUD!

2014 Jaguar F-Type S Ebony/Jet
Previous:
2012 535i M Sport Alpine White/Oyster & Black
2011 328i Convertible Mineral White/Oyster & Black
2006 325i Convertible Alpine White/Tan
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I wouldn't buy it again.

Auto high beams - work awesome. I never use them, though, because I hardly ever have use for the high beams where I live. If you were in a rural area, this would be worth the price alone!

Self park - cool, but a bit cumbersome to have it find the spot then activate. I am used to it now, but it's still a bit slow. I use it more because I have it than anything else. If I didn't have it, I wouldn't miss it.

Blind spot - works very well, IMO, but a bit conservative. I.E. it's warning me when I am plenty clear of the vehicle - at least in the North East! I have it on and it's been helpful. You just have to ignore it half the time which makes it a bit less useful....

LDW - Would never use this unless I was by myself, at night, and tired. Otherwise, I'd just switch drivers.

But, if it's the difference between getting the car now and ordering it - no brainer, just get the car now!

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: German
I'd say Blind Spot and Auto High Beams are pretty important options
Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I wouldn't buy it again.

But, if it's the difference between getting the car now and ordering it - no brainer, just get the car now!
I'd get it again ... here's my take on the components:

Auto High beams -- I love. Part of my commute is on a twisty country road, and its dark in the winter when I go home. Its also dark when I go to the gym in the mornings.

LDW -- most people (me included) say they don't need this because they are such great drivers, etc. It was eye-opening to me to note how often I got the vibrating on said country road, etc. as I got close to the center line.

Blind Spot -- for me, this is a feature that's there for that one-off time every few years when I might start to move over w/o realizing someone is in my blind spot.

Park Assist -- cool bragging rights feature that I've only used once, and that was just to see how it worked.

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)
Old 03-15-2012, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Auto high beams - Not much use in town but it is nice when driving country roads which I do quite often. Sometimes a bit too sensitive as it will dim for a reflection off a sign on windy roads.

Self park - Could do without this since I hardly ever have to parallel park. If I ever had to parallel park I would have to stop and read the manual first. Haven't even had occasion to test it.

Blind spot - If it catches just one instance of changing lanes at the wrong time over several years that will make it worthwhile. It's like airbags, you don't need them until that one time that you do.

LDW - Use it all the time even though I really haven't needed it yet but same as blind spot, if it catches me nodding just one time.......

I would order it again.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
I have most of these features but they are packaged differently in Canada. I don't have park assist -not available on AWD, but the Tech Package comes with surround view. The lane departure warning can be annoying, but it does catch you changing lanes without signalling. I like the blind spot detection except that I don't think you should always rely on it. Haven't used the High Beam assist yet. I'd get it.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I find having the "driver's Assistance Package" on a BMW ironic.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
I find having the "driver's Assistance Package" on a BMW ironic.
I don't.

People at this price point expect to see this type of tech. At least BMW does it well.

I'd rather have this than other tech that actually brakes your freaking car to steer you back in lane.

Jesuchristo.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-15-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpritchett View Post
LDW -- most people (me included) say they don't need this because they are such great drivers, etc. .
I don't need this because I AM a good driver and I use all parts of the road.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I'm with Needs. It's a cool convenience, but I wouldn't buy it again either. It's way down the list of things this car needs.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I don't need this because I AM a good driver and I use all parts of the road.
I'm just less aggressive ... I only insist on 2/3rds of the road.

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)
Old 03-16-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpritchett View Post
I'm just less aggressive ... I only insist on 2/3rds of the road.
As my Dad used to say...."I take my half out of the middle".

Old 03-17-2012, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
I find it most useful on long intercity trips on the interstate. The LDW keeps you from unconscious drifting and the blind spot dectection helps you avoid the rare, but potentially totally devasting, occasions when you just make a mistake and don't properly change lanes. On a 6 hour drive it's easy to occasionally lose one's concentration. In normal in city driving it's not very useful. I would definitely buy it again.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.