Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
palmster palmster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: 530
M sport package on X5

Dealer is recommending buying 4 spare tires as the M sport package makes the X5 nearly inefficient in snow. M package has a wider tire on the back than the front, all run-flat, but is there really a need to purchase snow tires or can the car handle traction on a plowed road with less than an inch of snow. We've had little snow this year in the northeast, but the pitch I am getting sounds like it is almost a requirement. Can anyone confirm this? have any experience with this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
ND40oz ND40oz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 601
Mein Auto: 09 135i
I'm putting the OEM runflats in basement and putting on a set of all-seasons (Conti DWS or Mich Latitudes). Then when it comes time to trade or sell, I'll have brand new OEM tires to put back on it. But the summer tires are worthless with any type of precip when it's 40 or below.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion

Last edited by ND40oz; 03-15-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Kzang's Avatar
Kzang Kzang is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,849
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Trust me.. your x5 is going to slide all over the place. A vehicle with snow tires and rear wheel drive is a lot better at handling snow than a vehicle with awd and summer performance tires with little to no traction.
__________________
2013 X5 35i Premium, Space Gray, Cinnamon Brown Leather, Dark Bamboo wood trim, Conv. Pkg, CWP, Multi-contour seats, Running board, BMW App. Space saver tire.
Previous Cars
2010 535i - Deep Sea Blue w/ NBD Leather, Bamboo Anthracite WT, Sport Auto Trans w/ Paddle shifter, Sports Pkg, PP, CWP, Nav, HD Radio, Ipod.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-15-2012, 01:51 PM
scar scar is offline
Car guy
Location: Coastal Maine, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: E39 M5/E70 X5 M sport
I have 50 with m sport and got the 19s thinking there might be more snow tire options. False. Took off run flats, put on dedicated Perelli scorpion snows and bought some 20 s for summer. Ate the rfts.

X5 with snows still not that great in snow. Simple physics of big footprint. It floats. I cannot imagine facing a trip thru snow with performance tires. All season might be a compromise in some climates, but not my territory of northern new England and adirondacks.

If I know I am facing a long trip in snow I take my 3/4 ton suburban. A whale with no fun factor but goes Anywhere with high confidence. narrow, tall mud and snows.

Just one opinion. Enjoy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM
MRV99 MRV99 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,082
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scar View Post
I have 50 with m sport and got the 19s thinking there might be more snow tire options. False. Took off run flats, put on dedicated Perelli scorpion snows and bought some 20 s for summer. Ate the rfts.

X5 with snows still not that great in snow. Simple physics of big footprint. It floats. I cannot imagine facing a trip thru snow with performance tires. All season might be a compromise in some climates, but not my territory of northern new England and adirondacks.

If I know I am facing a long trip in snow I take my 3/4 ton suburban. A whale with no fun factor but goes Anywhere with high confidence. narrow, tall mud and snows.

Just one opinion. Enjoy.
WOW, your one of the few which thinks the x5 with 19" Pirelli ice & snow does not just rip through the snow. You cannot expect that snow tires will make your car completely negate the fact that there is snow on the ground. We get plenty of snow here in the midwest and when I am out in the X with the 19" snows, I cannot remember ever seeing another car or truck get through the snow the same.
__________________
12 X5 50i Sport
11 M3 DCT
11 X5 50i (lemon)
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Cdnrockies Cdnrockies is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alberta
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 512
Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
WOW, your one of the few which thinks the x5 with 19" Pirelli ice & snow does not just rip through the snow. You cannot expect that snow tires will make your car completely negate the fact that there is snow on the ground. We get plenty of snow here in the midwest and when I am out in the X with the 19" snows, I cannot remember ever seeing another car or truck get through the snow the same.
This.

Fyi, the Conti DWS are marginal in icy/snowy conditions (mine are 20's fwiw). They are an amazing tire on dry and wet but only ok in the snow. Maybe better than some conventional all-seasons but nowhere near what snows will do for you.

I'm pretty sure I see more snow than just about everyone on this board and have never been in a situation that even remotely resembled being out of control in the X5 with the 19" Scorpions.
__________________


'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM
MRV99 MRV99 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,082
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
This.

Fyi, the Conti DWS are marginal in icy/snowy conditions (mine are 20's fwiw). They are an amazing tire on dry and wet but only ok in the snow. Maybe better than some conventional all-seasons but nowhere near what snows will do for you.

I'm pretty sure I see more snow than just about everyone on this board and have never been in a situation that even remotely resembled being out of control in the X5 with the 19" Scorpions.
Agree being in Alberta. I do alot of business in Canada and If i remember correctly, doesn't the govt make you have winter tires? I swear by winter/summer setups
__________________
12 X5 50i Sport
11 M3 DCT
11 X5 50i (lemon)
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Cdnrockies Cdnrockies is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alberta
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 512
Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Agree being in Alberta. I do alot of business in Canada and If i remember correctly, doesn't the govt make you have winter tires? I swear by winter/summer setups
Not ours. I know Quebec does (we had a massive winter tire shortage a few years ago when they implemented it). I'd fully support it in our climate country wide as it becomes frustrating to see the idiocy that goes on with under equipped vehicles. We've got dual sets for all four of our vehicles so you know my opinion.
__________________


'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Gregory34 Gregory34 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 221
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
WOW, your one of the few which thinks the x5 with 19" Pirelli ice & snow does not just rip through the snow. You cannot expect that snow tires will make your car completely negate the fact that there is snow on the ground. We get plenty of snow here in the midwest and when I am out in the X with the 19" snows, I cannot remember ever seeing another car or truck get through the snow the same.
+1

I run Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow 20" and they are virtually flawless in the snow (in the city, as well as in upstate VT and Maine...)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 PM
WillInDenver's Avatar
WillInDenver WillInDenver is offline
1oz perception-1# obscure
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,444
Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Part of the problem with the OEM performance tires is that the compound they're made of gets rock hard in freezing temperatures, making your traction worse. Aside from the aggressive siping, snow tires are made of a rubber that stays softer, colder.

I have to believe that the enormous summer rubber on the X5M would be trouble in the snow. Especially when stopping.
__________________
-Will
2013 535i xDrive M-Sport | 2005 545i Sport (Retired and Missed) | 2001 X5 3.0 Sport (Retired)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM
palmster palmster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Trust me.. your x5 is going to slide all over the place. A vehicle with snow tires and rear wheel drive is a lot better at handling snow than a vehicle with awd and summer performance tires with little to no traction.
I have a sneaking suspicion that you are my sales rep!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 PM
TheWanderer TheWanderer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 140
Mein Auto: '11 X5 5.0i m-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Part of the problem with the OEM performance tires is that the compound they're made of gets rock hard in freezing temperatures, making your traction worse. Aside from the aggressive siping, snow tires are made of a rubber that stays softer, colder.

I have to believe that the enormous summer rubber on the X5M would be trouble in the snow. Especially when stopping.
My first winter with my 5.0i and the summer perf tires (19s) was an eye opener in that regard. I've never experienced a more complete lack of stopping or lateral traction in a vehicle until then. It was truly white-knuckle to drive on compacted snow and ice, and the ones on the X5M would be at least as bad if not worse.
__________________
In My Garage: 2011 X5 5.0i, Carbon Black/Black Nevada
ZAV ZCW ZMP ZPP ZPS ZTP 322 4BP 456 5AC 6NF
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 AM
blue dragon blue dragon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pickering/Toronto
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 733
Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Trust me.. your x5 is going to slide all over the place. A vehicle with snow tires and rear wheel drive is a lot better at handling snow than a vehicle with awd and summer performance tires with little to no traction.
I don't get why people can't understand that its the tires that give the traction. If there is no traction, AWD means diddly squat.
__________________


| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms