Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530
M sport package on X5

Dealer is recommending buying 4 spare tires as the M sport package makes the X5 nearly inefficient in snow. M package has a wider tire on the back than the front, all run-flat, but is there really a need to purchase snow tires or can the car handle traction on a plowed road with less than an inch of snow. We've had little snow this year in the northeast, but the pitch I am getting sounds like it is almost a requirement. Can anyone confirm this? have any experience with this? Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
I'm putting the OEM runflats in basement and putting on a set of all-seasons (Conti DWS or Mich Latitudes). Then when it comes time to trade or sell, I'll have brand new OEM tires to put back on it. But the summer tires are worthless with any type of precip when it's 40 or below.

Last edited by ND40oz; 03-15-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Trust me.. your x5 is going to slide all over the place. A vehicle with snow tires and rear wheel drive is a lot better at handling snow than a vehicle with awd and summer performance tires with little to no traction.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Car guy

Mein Auto: E39 M5/E70 X5 M sport
I have 50 with m sport and got the 19s thinking there might be more snow tire options. False. Took off run flats, put on dedicated Perelli scorpion snows and bought some 20 s for summer. Ate the rfts.

X5 with snows still not that great in snow. Simple physics of big footprint. It floats. I cannot imagine facing a trip thru snow with performance tires. All season might be a compromise in some climates, but not my territory of northern new England and adirondacks.

If I know I am facing a long trip in snow I take my 3/4 ton suburban. A whale with no fun factor but goes Anywhere with high confidence. narrow, tall mud and snows.

Just one opinion. Enjoy.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scar View Post
I have 50 with m sport and got the 19s thinking there might be more snow tire options. False. Took off run flats, put on dedicated Perelli scorpion snows and bought some 20 s for summer. Ate the rfts.

X5 with snows still not that great in snow. Simple physics of big footprint. It floats. I cannot imagine facing a trip thru snow with performance tires. All season might be a compromise in some climates, but not my territory of northern new England and adirondacks.

If I know I am facing a long trip in snow I take my 3/4 ton suburban. A whale with no fun factor but goes Anywhere with high confidence. narrow, tall mud and snows.

Just one opinion. Enjoy.
WOW, your one of the few which thinks the x5 with 19" Pirelli ice & snow does not just rip through the snow. You cannot expect that snow tires will make your car completely negate the fact that there is snow on the ground. We get plenty of snow here in the midwest and when I am out in the X with the 19" snows, I cannot remember ever seeing another car or truck get through the snow the same.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 03-15-2012, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
WOW, your one of the few which thinks the x5 with 19" Pirelli ice & snow does not just rip through the snow. You cannot expect that snow tires will make your car completely negate the fact that there is snow on the ground. We get plenty of snow here in the midwest and when I am out in the X with the 19" snows, I cannot remember ever seeing another car or truck get through the snow the same.
This.

Fyi, the Conti DWS are marginal in icy/snowy conditions (mine are 20's fwiw). They are an amazing tire on dry and wet but only ok in the snow. Maybe better than some conventional all-seasons but nowhere near what snows will do for you.

I'm pretty sure I see more snow than just about everyone on this board and have never been in a situation that even remotely resembled being out of control in the X5 with the 19" Scorpions.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
This.

Fyi, the Conti DWS are marginal in icy/snowy conditions (mine are 20's fwiw). They are an amazing tire on dry and wet but only ok in the snow. Maybe better than some conventional all-seasons but nowhere near what snows will do for you.

I'm pretty sure I see more snow than just about everyone on this board and have never been in a situation that even remotely resembled being out of control in the X5 with the 19" Scorpions.
Agree being in Alberta. I do alot of business in Canada and If i remember correctly, doesn't the govt make you have winter tires? I swear by winter/summer setups
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Agree being in Alberta. I do alot of business in Canada and If i remember correctly, doesn't the govt make you have winter tires? I swear by winter/summer setups
Not ours. I know Quebec does (we had a massive winter tire shortage a few years ago when they implemented it). I'd fully support it in our climate country wide as it becomes frustrating to see the idiocy that goes on with under equipped vehicles. We've got dual sets for all four of our vehicles so you know my opinion.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
Quote:
+1

I run Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow 20" and they are virtually flawless in the snow (in the city, as well as in upstate VT and Maine...)
Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Part of the problem with the OEM performance tires is that the compound they're made of gets rock hard in freezing temperatures, making your traction worse. Aside from the aggressive siping, snow tires are made of a rubber that stays softer, colder.

I have to believe that the enormous summer rubber on the X5M would be trouble in the snow. Especially when stopping.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Trust me.. your x5 is going to slide all over the place. A vehicle with snow tires and rear wheel drive is a lot better at handling snow than a vehicle with awd and summer performance tires with little to no traction.
I have a sneaking suspicion that you are my sales rep!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 5.0i m-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Part of the problem with the OEM performance tires is that the compound they're made of gets rock hard in freezing temperatures, making your traction worse. Aside from the aggressive siping, snow tires are made of a rubber that stays softer, colder.

I have to believe that the enormous summer rubber on the X5M would be trouble in the snow. Especially when stopping.
My first winter with my 5.0i and the summer perf tires (19s) was an eye opener in that regard. I've never experienced a more complete lack of stopping or lateral traction in a vehicle until then. It was truly white-knuckle to drive on compacted snow and ice, and the ones on the X5M would be at least as bad if not worse.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I don't get why people can't understand that its the tires that give the traction. If there is no traction, AWD means diddly squat.

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |