Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E24 (1976 - 1989)

E24 (1976 - 1989)
The BMW 6 Series (E24) was the first variant of the 6 series produced by BMW from 1976 through 1989.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1979 633CSi
Wheel Refurbishment

I'm having my rims refurbished and it looks as though it'll cost me $250/each. Is this a fair price? I'm being told they will look like new when finished...I'm also having the gold repainted to a flat black. Can't stand the gold!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	316735  
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to Bert Poliakoff
Mein Auto: x5
Well painting and labor aside, as I did my own labor, my 2 piece style 5 wheels cost me $45 each to have polished professionally. Maybe an hours labor to take apart and assemble and I can't imagine painting them is worth another $100. I am leaving room for error as I don't know labor rates in your area. Are they two piece or one piece wheels??
Old 03-16-2012, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1979 633CSi
These are one piece wheels. Local prices aren't usually that bad compared to lower 48, but this seems ridiculous. I just emailed pics to repairmyrim.com and hopefully I'll hear something better from them. Shippings included so we'll see! Any recommendation on tire size?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 PM
crapshooter

Mein Auto: (2) '85 6ers, (1) '79 6er
wheel reburbishment

Your wheels look like the stock 14" BBS wheels that came on my '79 6er - in fact, I'd bet money that's what they are. As it happens, I have a set of these in the garage and I'm thinkin seriously about repainting/refurbishing them myself....and I've never tried this myself. I've picked up on these forums though, tips from guys like Bert, who have sanded, repainted and clearcoated wheels, it's not rocket science....pretty easy to do, just a little time consuming. Mine don't need a color change, I really just want to lighten them a couple of shades to a stock BMW color, like maybe the color of the basketweaves on an e34 or e39. Unless you just don't want to tackle the job, I'd suggest getting the correct paint from Wurth or maybe Dupli-Color and have at it before I'd consider paying $250 a wheel for someone else to do it.

What size tires are you currently using on your 6er? I've tried different sizes on mine and I prefer 225/60/14's for these wheels, 225's give you plenty of meat on the ground whereas smaller 205's or even 215's look kind of wimpy....just my opinion. I wanted to go to 235/60/14's front and rear so I bought 2 to see what they'd look like on the car, the 235's fit and look great on the rear, but they won't fit on the front because of hitting the shocks - now I have 2 practically new (less than 20 miles) 235/60/14 BF goodrich TA's I'd like to sell 'cause I can't use'em - wish they'd work on the front, I really like the look of more tire on the ground.

Good luck with those wheels

Bob G
Old 05-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to Bert Poliakoff
Mein Auto: x5
14" wheeks are a waste on that car and will really never look right. Find some 16" one piece style 5s. They can be bought in nice shape for about $250 a set. Shipping USPS parcel post will run about $30 or less a wheel. best looking wheel, IMHO, are 2 piece 17" style 5s. Used in decent condition should be about $450-$550 a set.

Last edited by Bert Poliakoff; 05-03-2012 at 04:49 PM.