Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
# 1 - TN 129 - sweepers, dips, off-cambers, elevation change, good line of sight, light traffic, no mounties and smoooth pavement. Site of many personal road tests and lots of grins.

#2 - CA 1 to 17 - decreasing radius gotcha. Site of tight puckering the first time around.
Terry, take a second look at the Google map! Coming off the ramp you want to get as far left as you can, but check right where the decreasing radius begins and you'll see a little white arrow. That's where they put the 'turn here' cone, and you start your dive for the inside apex.
Sheesh, Google is really getting good!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
(In honor of St. Patty's day, I'll add that I know cloverleafs and them ain't no stinkin' cloverleafs!)
I will say that what they lack in declining radius, they make up in altitude off surface roads. We've actually had a couple of 18 wheelers try to take a short cut down to the mainlanes.

http://www.texasfreeway.com/houston/...bw8_i10w.shtml
Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335 Sedan MSport
Quote:
Terry, take a second look at the Google map! Coming off the ramp you want to get as far left as you can, but check right where the decreasing radius begins and you'll see a little white arrow. That's where they put the 'turn here' cone, and you start your dive for the inside apex.
Sheesh, Google is really getting good!
Ah, now I get it. Just need to start driving with Google Earth pulled up, and with my aging eyesight it'll need to be on a decent screen. Wonder where the highway patrol get their laptop mounts.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: E93 335i
5 lefts and a straight away

Queens bridge to manhattanwhich is strangely empty mid week at 9 pm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25906b57.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	316950  
Old 03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Those 90 degree turns look like fun. How's the pavement?

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 03-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: E93 335i
Not asphalt cement but decent for NYC.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
SE Lebanon / NW Lancaster County, PA

Sorry I can't figure out how to post a satellite photo, but... Imagine, if you will, rolling hills mixed with farmland, twisty roads ("paved cow paths"), very few Po Po patrols and high-quality road surfaces thanks to the Recovery Act. It really is this good around me!!!! The only down side is dodging the occasional Amish cart.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
This interchange is a two-for-one favorite of mine. I pass through it almost daily in one direction or another and have made well over 2,000 passes through these turns (over 3,000 for #2, thanks to a change in my commute taking #1 off the route ).
  1. This is my all-time favorite Tailgater Disposal System. The ramp has no posted advisory speed but it would probably be 15-25 mph.
       On the main highway there is a traffic light about a third of a mile before this off-ramp--one of those lights that somehow manages to be red 95% of the time, no matter from which direction you approach it. Traffic permitting, I make my best effort (without seeming a complete ass) to clear the pack from the light so as to gain a clear shot down the ramp. About once every month or two when I was here daily, that seemed to provoke someone to plant himself a car length off my rear bumper, presumably to teach me manners or show me he's fast, too!
       When alone and practicing, I'll usually dive in pretty hot, straightening out the first curve and braking just before the radius change to set up the rest. (By now I can comfortably hold ~45mph through the apex in perfect conditions...probably about 9/10ths.) When I have a tail--and I'm already grinning at this point if it's some lumbering SUV--I'll downshift a bit earlier, bleed off speed without braking to lure them along (why give hints? ) and blast through the rest same as always. If the cross street is clear, the underpass is usually behind me before most wannabes reappear in my mirrors at the bottom of the ramp.
       Of the dozens who have tried I can only recall one person who kept up--and it was another Bimmer.

2. The line I drew pretty much says it all. Short and sweet. The kerbing on the inside of the left-hand kink is that low, sloping, ribbed, pre-cast concrete stuff--perfect for channeling one's inner Senna, Mansell or Schumacher. If I were 25 years younger I'd probably talk a few buds into heading out there some dark night with a couple of cans of red and white paint, just to add ambiance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	twofer-offramp.png
Views:	211
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	316990  

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 03-16-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Changed attachment
Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
I agree with DSXMachina. I think my favorite fun road is Bear Notch Rd in New Hampshire (between Kancamagus Hwy and US 302). Though chances are you'll catch up to somebody driving really slow like any other road in NH or ME.

Last edited by hellosopo; 03-16-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
A longer favorite that I don't get to visit as often as I once did: The northern half of New York's Saw Mill Parkway, approximately from Elmsford to its terminus in Katonah.

Most people passing SW/NE through this area use I-287 and I-684 (the latter ranking among the most blunt and unpleasant stretches of road in the Interstate system), thankfully missing this little gem (which even saves five minutes over the Interstates!). Twenty miles of attractive landscaping, decent pavement, narrow lanes and some turns that are more than a bit unnerving when taken at speed in the dead of night.

(By the way: Great idea for a thread!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Saw-Mill-northern-half.png
Views:	204
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	316989  

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 03-16-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:14 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Here's a shameless plug for the Bimmerfest Climb to the Clouds IV which you can read about in a new thread to be posted later this evening. One of the opportunities you'll have if you attend will be to join a smaller group for a spirited "tour" down Bear Notch Road in Bartlett, NH. This hidden gem will be a lifetime memory. I'm sure any of the drivers who joined the group last year will attest to that.

It's ten miles of the most fun you'll ever have in your car. Alone, that is.
I won't bother making a post with a pic since you already did this for me.
Can't wait to hit this and the cank again!

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Not a real doctor.

Bear Notch is fantastic. I have a GoPro video of the whole thing.

However, I cannot post that video on the grounds it may incriminate... uhm... people who post here.

(And not just me.)

(My license plate doesn't show up in my video.)

However, post 719 of http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...orcook&page=29 (page 29) does show a bit of this starting at 6:49 into the video.

(I was seriously worried about including more... things were very... uhm... quick. And, hell, I was falling behind!)

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Well, I have to say, after all the complaining how we can't drive these cars in this country (which is still true), I'm at least blessed by a huge choice of roads where to really have good and safe fun. By safe I mean you can't go so fast (without crashing or being a total idiot) to end up in serious trouble with law.

I didn't take a map image because at proper zoom level it loses the meaning, but you can Google Raising Sun, IN and then zoom out so that Aurora, IN is on the top of the screen and Vevay, IN is on the bottom (all three are on Ohio river). Then look left (to Indiana) and right (to Kentucky) and take your pick. Quite a bit of these (I'm not disclosing which) have 55 mph speed limit and a lot of corners with suggested speed 15 or 20 mph. Going 70 mph WILL produce hard braking and downshifts before those corners plus puckering and white knuckles in faster ones if you decide to enter fast and still leave you with just a fine for speeding if you meet The Law on your journey.

I will never disclose my private Nurburgring around my house which I take at least twice a week only for fun without going anywhere but to drive it (Sat AND Sun when on the road during the week ) because the last time I showed one beautiful and short hill climb behind my backyard to couple of enthusiasts, in about three months the signs saying "25 mph - RADAR ENFORCED" popped up.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Not a real doctor.

I recall some back roads in Indiana and Illinois. Farm land was laid out on a grid... squares a mile to a side. You can still see them on a clear day when flying over the midwest. But the Earth happens to be round and the grids necessarily shift every so often. And this causes some of the back roads to have sharp 90 degree bends, a short run, and another 90 degree bend.

I've never driven a fine car on those roads, but I can see where it would be fun. I vaguely recall some college friend launching his new ride into the corn and landing with a wonderful, mud splattering, suspension wrecking, belly flop. He was terribly upset. We were college friends and laughed until we cried. (And the more he found it NOT funny...)

Old 03-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Dillard, GA to Highlands, NC.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-03-17 at 9.20.48 AM.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	317067  

Last edited by johnc_22; 03-17-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Cloud Climber

Mein Auto: 328I conv montego blue
Quote:
Here's a shameless plug for the Bimmerfest Climb to the Clouds IV which you can read about in a new thread to be posted later this evening. One of the opportunities you'll have if you attend will be to join a smaller group for a spirited "tour" down Bear Notch Road in Bartlett, NH. This hidden gem will be a lifetime memory. I'm sure any of the drivers who joined the group last year will attest to that.

It's ten miles of the most fun you'll ever have in your car. Alone, that is.
This is my pick! Following DSXMachine and //Xrated on this road was a lot of fun.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 AM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
There are so many quick drives nearby I'm not sure I hjave a favorite....I suppose down through the Pallisades to the Kentucky River and then back up is one (bonus - turn-around point is Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, a good spot for a quick bite or just a snack).

This one is a bit longer - each of the waypoints is a covered bridge. Not end-to-end amazing curves, but a fair share of them, and all scenic and a fun ride. The estimated google time is based on the speed limit, which on most of these roads is 45 or 55... many of the turns are marked 15mph

http://g.co/maps/qwxxe

Last edited by andrew b; 03-17-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Bear Notch is fantastic. I have a GoPro video of the whole thing.

However, I cannot post that video on the grounds it may incriminate... uhm... people who post here.

(And not just me.)

(My license plate doesn't show up in my video.)

However, post 719 of http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...orcook&page=29 (page 29) does show a bit of this starting at 6:49 into the video.

(I was seriously worried about including more... things were very... uhm... quick. And, hell, I was falling behind!)
Would you just DropBox me the video so I can see what a certain someone did?

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
I think Lark is using the term "Cloverleaf" a bit loosely.
Not so. There is a true clover leaf at Memorial and Waugh. And if I had any clue how to grab a screen shot off of Google maps I would. That is right near my office and I make an effort to use it whenever possible.

Last edited by LarkHouston; 03-17-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Local - AZ Route 89A between Sedona and Flagstaff.

Favorite - TN/NC Route 129 (Tail of the Dragon).
Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
I recall some back roads in Indiana and Illinois. Farm land was laid out on a grid... squares a mile to a side. You can still see them on a clear day when flying over the midwest. But the Earth happens to be round and the grids necessarily shift every so often. And this causes some of the back roads to have sharp 90 degree bends, a short run, and another 90 degree bend.
Earth also seem to have magically creased to make way for Ohio river through most of its course. Pick any road that starts 20-30 miles from the river, drive it towards the river and you are driving through woods on narrow and very twisty roads with elevation changes. Those were the roads I was talking about. As a matter of fact, I just came back from driving one of those on summer tires for the first time this year (swapped last weekend)

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Not a real doctor.

I also fondly recall nice roads along the Mississippi. You might not believe how beautiful Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota can be. I should go back now that I have a worthy ride.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkHouston View Post
Not so. There is a true clover leaf at Memorial and Waugh. And if I had any clue how to grab a screen shot off of Google maps I would. That is right near my office and I make an effort to use it whenever possible.
LOL. Right you are, but it is the ONLY real cloverleaf in the whole city. So, in honor of St. Patty's Day - here it is.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
I also fondly recall nice roads along the Mississippi. You might not believe how beautiful Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota can be. I should go back now that I have a worthy ride.
My wife & I did that two years ago in my 128i cabrio. Started at the headwaters in Minnesota & leisurely drove the Great River Road(s) down to Memphis. Great roads and scenery and (other than the cities) not much traffic.

Tom
Old 03-18-2012, 03:26 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Neumarkt to Brunn. Unlimited and a fun drive at max speed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Autobahn.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	317216  

Last edited by FCBayernFTW; 03-18-2012 at 03:29 AM.