Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery > The Travel Forum

The Travel Forum
Planning a trip or have a great travel story? Need travel tips or want to share your experiences (and photos)? Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, the Bimmerfest Travel Forum is your best resource on the Web.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
The New Apple iPad - ideal for travel

I've been playing with the new iPad for the past few days and I like the new display and the high def apps (it was smart for Amazon/Kindle and the NY Times to invest developing that).

For those who don't travel with a hotspot or a mobile phone with a hotspot, the 4G connectivity might be the tipping point.

I don't really notice the additional thickness or weight but it's hard to scientifically measure that. I did notice the difference going from iPad to iPad 2 however.

My review of the iPad is online here and I've posted a few photos below.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Ads by Google
Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
I really notice the difference between HD and regular broadcast TV on my big screen but on my iPhone or iPad it is not worth the "new" expense over my original iPad of iPhone 3Gs.

I did check the "new iPad" out @ the Apple Store but it is not a must have for me as I do not watch movies etc on the iPad. If you do, it might become a must have for the higher resolution.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A big grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
I've been playing with the new iPad for the past few days and I like the new display and the high def apps (it was smart for Amazon/Kindle and the NY Times to invest developing that).

For those who don't travel with a hotspot or a mobile phone with a hotspot, the 4G connectivity might be the tipping point.

I don't really notice the additional thickness or weight but it's hard to scientifically measure that. I did notice the difference going from iPad to iPad 2 however.

My review of the iPad is online here and I've posted a few photos below.

I love traveling with my ip2. Is the new gen that much better?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
I love traveling with my ip2. Is the new gen that much better?
If you read a lot of books or newspapers or watch a lot of films, then the new display might make a difference.

If you travel regularly without a 4G hotspot (built into your mobile or otherwise), and you don't want to pay hotel fees for Internet, etc., that is also a consideration.

Otherwise, perhaps not.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
If you read a lot of books or newspapers or watch a lot of films, then the new display might make a difference.

If you travel regularly without a 4G hotspot (built into your mobile or otherwise), and you don't want to pay hotel fees for Internet, etc., that is also a consideration.

Otherwise, perhaps not.
Sounds like there isn't a compelling reason to upgrade.
But if you don't have an iPad it makes a great traveling companion.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I got the new iPad and am disappointed compared to iPad 2. The screen so far doesn't make a hugely noticeable difference to the user experience. I'd much rather have more storage space than the nicer screen. I mean, Apple touts the new retina display, but the maximum capacity model is 64GB? Enough space to hold a max of 15 HD movies and nothing else.

The most significant addition to me that nobody is talking about is the voice dictation. It has about 99% accuracy and is much faster than typing. This feature is useless in public spaces, however.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Powder Days

Speaking of new features on the new iPad.......

http://m.wimp.com/dadipad/

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Mini Cooper S Driver

Mein Auto: 2011 Mini Cooper S
Took iPad 2 with us last summer when we went to London for a week. Its an AT&T 64 G and it was considerably cheaper than our hotel's 20 pounds for 24 hours WIFI fee(The Gore). We had good reception and speed.

2011 Mini Cooper S, 2014 M-Sport 335i Sedan
BMWCCA # 381930, nceuro.org
Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
I have the new iPad and I find the upgrade is well worthwhile from the iPad 2 for our purposes. The retina display is absolutely amazing for many tasks. Photographs look significantly crisper with better color rendition.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Debbie swears by hers. She's in London giving it a trial run right now. She is going to try using it with keynote and her laptop with PowerPoint is around only as a backup. Next trip she is thinking about leaving the lap top and home and just taking the iPad.

Storage is a trade off with size and battery life. Apple probably couldn't offer more than 64GB without sacrificing size and battery life. I don't see a need for more than a few movies on the device. You can always load up more on that pricey hotel internet. . .
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci
I paid a whopping 780 for mine,I can say its well worth the price overall. I also have apple tv so I use my airplay to display my iPad screen on my led tv. I also mount my iPad in my car in front of my shifter and play music through my car speakers. Great for on the go. It is a tad bit heavier then the older ones but I don't notice nor do I mind. I have taken quite a few pictures with it but I still think it's no where near close to the pictures my point and shoot take and my canon 60d. Reading books on this have become a regular thing for me. The 4g is also a nice upgrade minus how much data you get for the price. I can even sit in the car with my iPad connect to 4g and do my college class on the go. I find myself using my iPad more than I do my Alienware laptop.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Higher than you

Mein Auto: E92 335iS
I upgraded from the original iPad to the new model, and I'm quite happy with the improvements all around. Those already using an iPad2 may not feel the upgrade is quite so compelling.

With the rollout of iPhoto on the iPad, I believe one can take only the iPad along for ED trips and have everything needed for journaling and sharing trip experiences with friends and family. If you must have a physical keyboard, grab one of the Bluetooth options that are out there.

Last edited by wh00sh; 04-24-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Powder Days

Taking pictures with an iPad seems awkward to me. My iPhone is good enough for that. I leave the iPad in the hotel safe. With iCoud sync between my iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, I have the complete tool set. Using the iPad out and about on foot seems to be an invitation for a mugging.

iPhone for photos and on foot nav and guides, iPod for tunes and to use via wifi in place of the phone for apps to conserve the phone battery and iPad for email, in car nav and other computer usage at home or in the hotel. My netbook seems to be becoming a dust collector.

Cheers

Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh00sh View Post
I upgraded from the original iPad to the new model, and I'm quite happy with the improvements all around. Those already using an iPad2 may not feel the upgrade is quite so compelling.

With the rollout of iPhoto on the iPad, I believe one can take only the iPad along for ED trips and have everything needed for journaling and sharing trip experiences with friends and family. If you must have a physical keyboard, grab one of the Bluetooth options that are out there.
With the new iPhoto you can travel with just the ipad and a digital camera.
While not as seamless as most things Apple, you can download from an SD card, export to the cloud and beam to other OS devices.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Higher than you

Mein Auto: E92 335iS
Quote:
With the new iPhoto you can travel with just the ipad and a digital camera.
While not as seamless as most things Apple, you can download from an SD card, export to the cloud and beam to other OS devices.
Yes, thanks for the catch there. I was thinking "with the camera connection kit" but forgot to type it. As noted above, the iPad camera isn't exactly stellar, and certainly not something to take on an important overseas trip as your only photo capture device.

As for being mugged, I carried my iPad all through Venice and had no issues. I think the chances of being mugged with an iPad are around equal to being mugged for your high-dollar dSLR.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:19 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
I was thinking "with the camera connection kit" but forgot to type it. As noted above, the iPad camera isn't exactly stellar, and certainly not something to take on an important overseas trip as your only photo capture device.
Eye-Fi and maybe some of the other WiFi sd cards work with the iPad. Don't need a connection kit

http://www.eye.fi/how-it-works/features/direct-mode

The camera in the new iPad isn't too bad. Debbie has taken some credible snap shots. Yes my Panasonic GF2 is better but an iPad photo is better than no photo at all.

I'd leave the laptop at home to make room for a camera.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 04-24-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 AM
resU deretsigeR

Worth pointing out that the 4G on the iPad does't work in most of Europe. The 3G does.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, thanks for the catch there. I was thinking "with the camera connection kit" but forgot to type it. As noted above, the iPad camera isn't exactly stellar, and certainly not something to take on an important overseas trip as your only photo capture device.

As for being mugged, I carried my iPad all through Venice and had no issues. I think the chances of being mugged with an iPad are around equal to being mugged for your high-dollar dSLR.
I had steered clear of the connection kit because initially it loaded the entire SD card, dupes and all. Apparently the new iPhoto allows you to select which ones you want to load.
What I don't know yet is if they are loaded as if they were from an iOS devise or not.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 AM
ICH LIEBE BMW!!!!

Send a message via Skype™ to mwagner1
Mein Auto: it has four wheels
Quote:
As noted above, the iPad camera isn't exactly stellar, and certainly not something to take on an important overseas trip as your only photo capture device.
Agreed...while I have seen some pretty amazing images of people's cats, dogs, kids etc I would never trust ANY tablet (iOS or Android) for valuable images from an ED trip...

When I finally get to do my own ED, I will take my excellent D700 and a few lenses to ensure I get the best images I can.

Cheers,
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Powder Days

With the rumor of a 7" iPad coming out in the fall, I have another reason to hold off on an iPad3. OTOH, my first gen iPad is still more than adequate.

I do use it as an Electronic Flight Bag with check lists, weather, charts and GPS for flying. The 7" version would be better sized for the cockpit. Depends on how the charts look on a 7" screen.

I may get overloaded with i devices!

Cheers

Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3 Skier View Post
With the rumor of a 7" iPad coming out in the fall, I have another reason to hold off on an iPad3. OTOH, my first gen iPad is still more than adequate.

I do use it as an Electronic Flight Bag with check lists, weather, charts and GPS for flying. The 7" version would be better sized for the cockpit. Depends on how the charts look on a 7" screen.

I may get overloaded with i devices!

Cheers
Don't assume that smaller iPad will be speced the same as the larger ones. Word is that's it's designed down to a price to compete with E readers.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Powder Days

Quote:
Don't assume that smaller iPad will be speced the same as the larger ones. Word is that's it's designed down to a price to compete with E readers.
The deal breaker would be a new connector for the charger and accessories like my GPS Receiver. Since my charts and other items like airport diagrams are already "readable" on my 3Gs iPhone, I don't expect the resolution to be a problem. I also assume the apps will be compatible but if not, I can wait for the updates.

I have read the price is to be around $300 which I guess means only 8G of memory (or less ), another deal breaker since Apple has been anti SD card.

Cheers

Old 05-14-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3 Skier View Post
The deal breaker would be a new connector for the charger and accessories like my GPS Receiver. Since my charts and other items like airport diagrams are already "readable" on my 3Gs iPhone, I don't expect the resolution to be a problem. I also assume the apps will be compatible but if not, I can wait for the updates.

I have read the price is to be around $300 which I guess means only 8G of memory (or less ), another deal breaker since Apple has been anti SD card.

Cheers
You might want to search Macworld and other Apple sites.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 PM

We just drove from Munich to Mulhouse and on to Paris using the iPad maps app. You don't need a live Internet connection to get your current location but you do need one to download route initially.
It's great to see exactly wher you are instantaneously and know when you've missed a turn but for getting around a city I still prefer the voice cues from my Garmin. Together they make a great pair.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:39 PM
3rd Round Draft Pick

Mein Auto: formerly F10 M5
If you have a 4G iPad how much is the data charge while in Europe?