Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Issues with Bluetooth caused by USB?

After hooking my iphone up to the USB port the other day, I am now unable to pair it with bluetooth. My phone says it is paired with the car, but the car won't let me connect and I can't seem to get it to do so. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

Sorry if this is a heavily discussed issue. I tried a few searches and couldn't find this specific issue.
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Software Engineer

If you are using bluetooth to stream music, it is disabled the moment you plug in the same device to USB. You cannot use both at the same time. However, bluetooth phone functionality will still work regardless if its plugged into USB or not.

If you have plugged it into USB then unplugged it, the car won't automatically re-enable streaming over bluetooth. For that you have to go to Media -> Bluetooth -> Highlight the phone (don't select it) -> Click option on your car controls -> Setup -> Check the music box -> Click ok do not just navigate back or it won't save the changes.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog0203 View Post
After hooking my iphone up to the USB port the other day, I am now unable to pair it with bluetooth. My phone says it is paired with the car, but the car won't let me connect and I can't seem to get it to do so. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

Sorry if this is a heavily discussed issue. I tried a few searches and couldn't find this specific issue.
Turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone.

Delete the iPhone's Bluetooth profile in iDrive.

Re-start Bluetooth on the iPhone.

Re-pair the phone to iDrive.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone.

Delete the iPhone's Bluetooth profile in iDrive.

Re-start Bluetooth on the iPhone.

Re-pair the phone to iDrive.

BJ
This is unnecessary, see my above post.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
This is unnecessary, see my above post.
Your recommendation had to do with streaming audio which the OP did not mention.

If his issue has nothing to do with streaming audio, then it is a Bluetooth problem easily solved by deleting and re-pairing the profile.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Your recommendation had to do with streaming audio which the OP did not mention.

If his issue has nothing to do with streaming audio, then it is a Bluetooth problem easily solved by deleting and re-pairing the profile.

BJ
Both scenarios are covered by what I said. There is a checkbox by each supported feature over bluetooth. Music gets disabled automatically by plugging your phone in to USB. In the event that Phone is unchecked, you can recheck it the same way. Re-pairing is unnecessary for most issues.

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Both scenarios are covered by what I said. There is a checkbox by each supported feature over bluetooth. Music gets disabled automatically by plugging your phone in to USB. In the event that Phone is unchecked, you can recheck it the same way. Re-pairing is unnecessary for most issues.
I beg to differ.

Deleting the Bluetooth profile and then re-pairing the phone takes fewer button presses, requires less complication, and ensures that it's a clean, fresh install.

Again, there's no indication this is a streaming music issue. This is the best way to solve a telephony issue.

BJ

Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Software Engineer

Quote:
I beg to differ.

Deleting the Bluetooth profile and then re-pairing the phone takes fewer button presses, requires less complication, and ensures that it's a clean, fresh install.

Again, there's no indication this is a streaming music issue. This is the best way to solve a telephony issue.

BJ
Actually its less steps the way I suggested and less prone to error.

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
I beg to differ.

BJ
Sorry BJ I agree with golovko on this one his way is easier and quicker.

The strange thing is why BMW designed it this way, i.e what possible reason is there to change the Bluetooth streaming configuration because somebody plugged their phone in? I only ever do it for charging so it's a pain.