Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Found a Renntech Dealer for 335d/Xd Tunes near Toronto

They are called "Engineered Automotive" and are located in Concord, Ontario near Keele/Langstaff just north of the 427. Below is some of the info I've collected through various e-mails with their staff:

Quote:
Good Morning John,

We are a Renntech dealer and can get all their products, but for any ECU tuning, the ECU does need to be shipped to Renntech in Florida.

Engineered Automotive has developed software for that car in house and can tune it with our own software. The price for our software is on par with Renntech, however we do not need to ship the ECU anywhere, and we also include a pre and post dyno run.

We have seen gains of 65-80 hp at the wheels, which is a huge difference.

We've seen gains of 70-90 torques with our software. It too is a very noticeable improvement.

We've never had any issues with the tune that would lead us to investigate the EGTs.

Also if I'm correct, your 09 car has the diesel exhaust fluid which also cools the EGTs.

There has been 5 of the diesels come through here in the last couple years. All results were great.

Software installed is $1095. There is lifetime warranty on the software.

Let me know if there is anymore information you require, or anything else I can do.

Thanks,
Roy.

P.S. Thanks to cssnms for alerting me to these guys.

Last edited by GreekboyD; 03-20-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Damn LIFETIME warranty WOW!!!! Good luck greekboyD, lets us know how the car is performing and PLEASE show me how to get that TORQUE numbers via photos!! Lenny at RENNtech will try to get a D in so that he can send me photos but if you have done it PLEASE!! send it to me or PM me OK!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21 PM

bump
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
bump
Hi GreekboyD,

Did you ever do this? What has your experience been?

The one question I have is this... (for anyone)

Does a retune have any impact on the engine life itself? After all, the engine is working harder = stress + heat. Of course it depends on how often you are pushing the engine but I do plan on keeping my D for some time and I would hate to do something that would shorten our time together.

BTW, EA is just around the corner from my office and I walk by them every day. Judging by the cars I see in their parking lot, they must have a good reputation.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 AM

I never did Chadley. Engine life would be fine as these tunes are done within the limits of the engine and people have been running them in Europe for years with no issues.

Let me know what they say.

P.S. I dug up some old emails from Roy at EA from last May:

"Hi John

The tune for the 335d is $1195 and it is a software reflash not a piggyback system like a lot of other companies make.

It is 100% safe for the car and the engine. We would need the car for about a day and we can re-program it here on site. No need for shipping of the ecu out anywhere.

The software comes with a lifetime warranty.

If the dealer does reflash the car to stock, it would be a one hour labor charge to reflash it.

Pre-post dynos are not included, but can be for an additional $250."
Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
I never did Chadley. Engine life would be fine as these tunes are done within the limits of the engine and people have been running them in Europe for years with no issues.

Let me know what they say.

P.S. I dug up some old emails from Roy at EA from last May:

"Hi John

The tune for the 335d is $1195 and it is a software reflash not a piggyback system like a lot of other companies make.

It is 100% safe for the car and the engine. We would need the car for about a day and we can re-program it here on site. No need for shipping of the ecu out anywhere.

The software comes with a lifetime warranty.

If the dealer does reflash the car to stock, it would be a one hour labor charge to reflash it.

Pre-post dynos are not included, but can be for an additional $250."
I'll be stopping by there soon to hear about the process in person. I'm curious as to why you have not done this yourself? I was under the impression at the top of this thread that you were heading down that path. For myself, I think I would at least wait until the warranty is off my car before considering this however I have not dismissed the idea altogether. The car is quite fast "out of the box" and I'm trying to imagine the scenario where I need the extra muscle to get where I'm going. When the car comes out of storage this spring it will need a set of tires so I'll be stinging from that bill. Wearing said tires out even sooner isn't in on my list of priorities.

But then again... :-)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadley View Post
I'll be stopping by there soon to hear about the process in person. I'm curious as to why you have not done this yourself? I was under the impression at the top of this thread that you were heading down that path. For myself, I think I would at least wait until the warranty is off my car before considering this however I have not dismissed the idea altogether. The car is quite fast "out of the box" and I'm trying to imagine the scenario where I need the extra muscle to get where I'm going. When the car comes out of storage this spring it will need a set of tires so I'll be stinging from that bill. Wearing said tires out even sooner isn't in on my list of priorities.

But then again... :-)
I've just been focusing on my suspension and LSD for now. Things like an intercooler and tune will come at the very end for me so that I maximize the overall experience. I already spent over $5000 on rims and rubber last spring.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM

I'm not much of a gear head so I had to look up LSD. Aside from making people really stoned, I see the mechanics of how LSD improves the performance of the ride. Are you working with a specific shop to make all of these improvements? Just wondering what else you plan to do the the beast. Best of luck and please post if you do decide to go ahead with the ECU tune. As mentioned, I do want to wait for my warranty to expire but I do like the idea of going even faster.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM

Yes I am. I've been talking to VAC Motorsports who are based out of Philly. Here are the LSD options that they provide for our 335d:

Link

As for mods, here's a list and idea of what I've done to the car so far.

Link

Right now I'm currently on KW V3 coils and will add the following M3 suspension bits to my car next month along with the Megan Racing toe arms and Vorshlag front adjustable camber plates listed below:

Front sway bar

Front lower wishbone/control arm (L)

Front lower wishbone/control arm (R)

Front tension strut (L)

Front tension strut (R)

Adjustable front sway bar end links

Rear sway bar

Rear subframe bushings - (front, 2X)
- (rear, 2X)

Rear guide rod (L)

Rear guide rod (R)

Rear upper link/wishbone (L)

Rear upper link/wishbone (R)

Adjustable rear sway bar end links

Megan Racing toe arms

Vorshlag front adjustable camber/caster plates

For me the ECU tune is realistically in April 2014 at the earliest along with a possible FMIC at that time.

Last edited by GreekboyD; 02-19-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
I'm hoping Roy is one of their salesman and not one of their "engineers"... his comment about DEF cooling the EGT is absolute non-sense.

Was sad to see VS Motorsports go under as I wanted to use them on my X5d as soon as the warranty was up, since they are local. I think being close to a shop is key in building a relationship and making sure you are a priority incase something goes wrong.

Jay
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
I'm hoping Roy is one of their salesman and not one of their "engineers"... his comment about DEF cooling the EGT is absolute non-sense.

Was sad to see VS Motorsports go under as I wanted to use them on my X5d as soon as the warranty was up, since they are local. I think being close to a shop is key in building a relationship and making sure you are a priority incase something goes wrong.

Jay
Got this from their site on Roy Deyoung:

"Engineered Automotive is pleased to announce that Roy Deyoung has joined EA as lead service adviser. Roy comes from a motorsport background, having spent years both Go Karting and Formula 1600 racing. Roy has an extensive educational background, having attended the Universal Technical Institute and NASCAR Technical Institute. Roy is currently pursuing a degree in automotive engineering. Roy continues his love for motorsport in the form of lapping days as well as working with professional race teams in Grand American competition. Roy has a passion for the original Mini and drive's a Mini Cooper S himself. Roy's favourite car of all time is the Ferrari F40."