Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i GT; 1976 2002
Dynamic Driving Control/Sport Settings/Sport Mode

Been playing around with the Dynamic Handling Switch and Sport Mode on the Shifter. In the Sport Setting I have been changing configuration with Drivetrain enabled and off and seeing the effects of Sport Mode on the response of the car. I was getting confused.

And I found this in the F10 forum:

SPORT mode with just chassis and lever to left = stiffer dampers, faster shifting points
SPORT mode with both chassis and drivetrain (but lever in middle) = stiffer dampers, tighter steering, better throttle
SPORT mode with both chassis and drivetrain (with lever to left) = stiffer dampers, tighter steering, better throttle response, faster shift points
SPORT+ mode with lever to left = dampers are as stiff as in SPORT, tighter steering, better throttle response, faster shifts, DSC off

I think there is a little more to be added like higher RPM per gear and no 8th gear in Sport Mode and Drivetrain enabled

THIS all sound right to you guys? I am assuming that the F07 and F10 are the same...

Have you seen anything published or reported from BMW?
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
That's it. Though I was not aware about eighth gear being locked out.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-18-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535ix GT
FYI - for 8th gear, highway cruising, go to manual and you can shift to it. That's what I do.

Bummer for me - I do not get those features on the 2012 535GT, although they were there without Dyanmic Driving Control on 2011 models. Kind if pisses me off that BMW made changes to the software code during production and left that out b/c I'd like stiffer driving, but comfort shifting modes.

What I'd really like to know is:
1 - what shifting left does for non dynamic mode enabled 535ixGT's (what is enabled)
2 - what turning off DSC does in Sport+ mode

Wardman

Last edited by Wardman; 03-19-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
sounds about right chewy!

Was thinking this morning about what happens if you turn sport mode on but just for chassis, and then use the shifter between regular and sport if that would be the same as turning engine on in sport mode... but then i ended p racing around with a 1M coupe and just left everything dialed all the way up..

Must say i love this car and the guy in his little 1M coupe was shocked at how well this big ass car stayed with him... helped he wasn't the greatest driver....
mp

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 03-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpress View Post
sounds about right chewy!

Was thinking this morning about what happens if you turn sport mode on but just for chassis, and then use the shifter between regular and sport if that would be the same as turning engine on in sport mode... but then i ended p racing around with a 1M coupe and just left everything dialed all the way up..

Must say i love this car and the guy in his little 1M coupe was shocked at how well this big ass car stayed with him... helped he wasn't the greatest driver....
mp
Oh yes, driver... 80% of the equation.

Love this car.

Bryan Burnworth

Mine-2011 335is SGM

Hers-12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012

Kelleners Hamburg Graphite Silver Metallic 19x8.5/9.5 Michelin PS A/S+ Gloss to the max by me.

99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmblack3 View Post
Oh yes, driver... 80% of the equation.

Love this car.
See that a lot in this area. Some crazy-ass cars purchased by the tech rich who don't have a clue how to drive them.

For general driving I leave Dynamic Sport in chassis only and shift the transmission to Sport Mode when I need it. Not the same as adding the drivetrain configuration, but gas prices keep climbing...

I just love the flexibility of this car. I am amazed at what the car can do while just sipping gasoline.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM

the guy that owns the mod shop doing my radar and jammers took a visual through the ar this morning to discuss placement... then decided he needed to drive it.. i trust him like a brother... he personally drives a porsche GT3 and a turbo S cayenne..

he flipped out over how well it drives, how fast it is and how comfy...

then said if ever a car needed a serious radar and laser setup this would be the one...

said he was on the west side highway looked down and was going 101...but thought he was maybe in the 70s...

love muy gt

when will the rest of the world wake up...

09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 03-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Paint polishing expert

Quote:
the guy that owns the mod shop doing my radar and jammers took a visual through the ar this morning to discuss placement... then decided he needed to drive it.. i trust him like a brother... he personally drives a porsche GT3 and a turbo S cayenne..

he flipped out over how well it drives, how fast it is and how comfy...

then said if ever a car needed a serious radar and laser setup this would be the one...

said he was on the west side highway looked down and was going 101...but thought he was maybe in the 70s...

love muy gt

I like being that "rare" car out there.

I hope they never wake up.

Bryan Burnworth

Mine-2011 335is SGM

Kelleners Hamburg Graphite Silver Metallic 19x8.5/9.5 Michelin PS A/S+ Gloss to the max by me.

99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
Smile

"I like being that "rare" car out there.

I hope they never wake up."

Me too Bryan
Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 AM

yeah but with such a small following we are getting overlooked by BMW and third party companies developing upgrades for us...

BMW performance has nothing for the F07, but full arsenal for F10... damn weather tech hasn't even released front mats for F07 x drive...

it can be a struggle to find key parts...

spoke to the guys at Mod Bargains the other day they are trying to get their hands on a new 2012 gt x drive so they can start to format items like reflectors for cars with side view... as well as many other components..

GT is the only BMW font lettering not available in matte black from Bimmian......

don't need a lot of them but we need a few more.....

mp

09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:

love muy gt

The conversation about cars is frequently dominated by ignorance and just plain stupidity.

Case in point; Car&Driver Buyers Guide placed the GT in the category of SUVs even though the "sedan" or "hatchback" categories would be more appropriate. Indeed, C&D placed the GT's closest rival - the Porsche Panamera in the sedan category even though it is clearly a 5 door hatchback. Pandering to misinformed opinion, C&D review ignores the reality of the GT only to mouth "Bimmerfest Banalities" such as ...we get this instead of a 5-series wagon. Shame."

Shame on C&D.

BMW endowed the GT with the performance of the F10 550i, the luxury of the F01, the hauling capacity of an X5, and very cool Euro styling. 2.5 stars indeed.

In the end, the blame for this state of affairs can be attributed to BMW's very flawed introduction of the GT, and its inability and/or unwillingness to engage in a sustained marketing campaign to support the GT concept in North America.

http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/...s-gran-turismo
Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 PM

welcome back capo.. you were one of my selling points when i decided to buy the gt...absolutely my favorite bmw i have ever owned and truly in a class by itself..

owned an m roadster and an m3 loved both .. but lets face facts there are so many sports cars at various prices that beat them in various categories.. ill take my C4S over both any day.

owned a few X5s and X3s all optioned to the hilt and many will argue the cayenne a better car some the q5 or q7 but ill stay with the cayenne turbo S trumps the x5...of course there is a money difference..

I cannot find anything to compare the GT to...it handles like a dream, is fast as s..t, the most comfy car i have ever driven.(this is mirrored by all my recent passengers front or back seat) has enough cargo space for me to have finally walked away from SUVs after 20 years of mitsubishi monteros, Infiniti QX4 (2) and X5s (3 or no 4 of them)...

Really the most versatile and misunderstood car except by those that own one!!

THANKS CAPO for the recommendation and all the stellar write ups that supported the GT... BMW owes you my sale and I'm pretty sure i have 4 friends on the way down the GT road..

09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
welcome back capo.. you were one of my selling points when i decided to buy the gt...absolutely my favorite bmw i have ever owned and truly in a class by itself..

owned an m roadster and an m3 loved both .. but lets face facts there are so many sports cars at various prices that beat them in various categories.. ill take my C4S over both any day.

owned a few X5s and X3s all optioned to the hilt and many will argue the cayenne a better car some the q5 or q7 but ill stay with the cayenne turbo S trumps the x5...of course there is a money difference..

I cannot find anything to compare the GT to...it handles like a dream, is fast as s..t, the most comfy car i have ever driven.(this is mirrored by all my recent passengers front or back seat) has enough cargo space for me to have finally walked away from SUVs after 20 years of mitsubishi monteros, Infiniti QX4 (2) and X5s (3 or no 4 of them)...

THANKS CAPO for the recommendation and all the stellar write ups that supported the GT... BMW owes you my sale and I'm pretty sure i have 4 friends on the way down the GT road..
Very kind words, indeed, thank you.

We share a love of Porsche - I drove a 911 turbo for years, although, I do not share your opinion of the M3 - I chose my M3 over a 997 Carrera.

We both understand that the GT is an extraordinary offering and the GT does not have a direct competitor in the market. When I purchased my GT, I cross shopped it with a Panamera S. The Porsche was sportier, but I thought my 550i GT was close in terms of offering an engaging ride, but provided far more luxury, comfort, utility, and value. I stand by my statement I made on a number of occasions -
The 5GT is Sui Generis.

The GT is misunderstood - thinking of of all the fights I had defending the honor of the GT. The battles were usually won because I could speak directly from my actual experience with the car. I frequently had the impression that my opponents had never seen, much less driven an actual GT in the wild. Proof is in the driving!

I must admit, I always enjoyed the attention my GT engendered in the wild. Kids really did ask to take its pic. Even knowledgeable car people - thought my GT was a very special BMW offering. The GT engendered compliments from my very savvy clients and friends. It was cool driving a BMW "exotic".

After a year of ownership my needs changed which allowed me to return to my sports car roots, but I have very fond memories of my GT.

Thanks again for your very kind words.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Paint polishing expert

Quote:

A big thanks for me too CAPO! I have read a few of your battles defending our honor.

The only downside for me is this is pretty much my wifes car, she will drive it 85% of the time. I do get to drive on road trips, FL coming in 2 weeks and maybe "country roads take me home" in July. I do miss the autobahn.

Bryan Burnworth

Mine-2011 335is SGM

99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmblack3 View Post
A big thanks for me too CAPO! I have read a few of your battles defending our honor.

The only downside for me is this is pretty much my wifes car, she will drive it 85% of the time. I do get to drive on road trips, FL coming in 2 weeks and maybe "country roads take me home" in July. I do miss the autobahn.
Your welcome - I wrote from the heart!

Maybe a few of you guys will fly the GT Flag at Bimmerfest East this summer. I was the only GT at Bimmerfest East last year and I was uncertain how I was going to be received. The car engendered favorable comments all day - amazing what happens when you challenge misinformed opinion with the reality of an actual GT!

Thanks again - it is nice to know I made a positive difference.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Your welcome - I wrote from the heart!

Maybe a few of you guys will fly the GT Flag at Bimmerfest East this summer. I was the only GT at Bimmerfest East last year and I was uncertain how I was going to be received. The car engendered favorable comments all day - amazing what happens when you challenge misinformed opinion with the reality of an actual GT!

Thanks again - it is nice to know I made a positive difference.
I want to add to the accolades. When I started thinking about the GT last summer Capo was the principal positive influence in the sea of negativity.

Capo's writings were key pieces of my research. Now that I have had 4 months of experience with my car - I have first hand knowledge that everything Capo said was true.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 PM

indeed capo was a leader..
the gt truly a one o f a kind..

funny i loved it from the first moment i saw it and couldn't wait for my x5 lease to be up...and thanked bmw for making the new x3 bigger so my wires car could be our only truck.....

capo.. i loved my M3... and at times think about the practicality tradin my c4s for a new one offers... but then there is something i love about the the 4 in my c4s that the M3 can't give me..

ultimately i think the c4s when driving alone as i do on my commute to NYC every day is still the better sports car...

that said it was 75 and sunny in ny today and i still took the GT...

although i think you would agree....the 61 roadster still the **** and despite all others gets the most looks and the most questions......stereo sucks though..

Best and glad to hear you getting the thank yous you deserve...

you truly did make a difference to someone that values the feel of the wheel over most blogs...

mp

09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 04-01-2012, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchewbaka View Post
See that a lot in this area. Some crazy-ass cars purchased by the tech rich who don't have a clue how to drive them.

For general driving I leave Dynamic Sport in chassis only and shift the transmission to Sport Mode when I need it. Not the same as adding the drivetrain configuration, but gas prices keep climbing...

I just love the flexibility of this car. I am amazed at what the car can do while just sipping gasoline.
Wish the driving modes didn't have to be engaged every time you started the car. It would be nice to have Sport available each time without having to reset it from "Normal" each time you start the engine. I suppose it does save a few pennies in fuel though as the car is plenty quick and agile even in normal around the city.