Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Sidewall blowout with Bridgestone Driveguard?

Anyone experience sidewall damage with Bridgestone Driveguard tires?

My uncle had 2 tires go one right after the other. He was driving on the highway, didn't hit a bump. It was a pretty hot day maybe 90. Tires are maybe 1-2 years old I think. Still had 90% tread. He heard one pop and then the other. Damage on sidewall. Costco is giving him a hard time. They're also saying they can't get the same tires to replace the two that went out so he needs to get all 4 new.

They seem to still be available at tire rack.

He was really happy with these. The Turanza EL42 had a really harsh ride but these were great. Any info anyone has would be appreciated as well as any suggestions on runflat tires that have as good a ride as the Driveguard would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TireBlowOut.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	565473  
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2016, 08:42 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
both on the same side?

the belts look severed, possible he ran over/hit something that cut into the sidewall on both tires one after another? that doesnt look like a normal pothole sidewall rupture to me.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Past: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Present: 2016 F34 335i xDrive ZCW/ZDA/ZDH/ZTP/ZMP/2V5/5DL

Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 06-01-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
both on the same side?

the belts look severed, possible he ran over/hit something that cut into the sidewall on both tires one after another? that doesnt look like a normal pothole sidewall rupture to me.
Yeah both on same side. He was on the highway when it happened. There's was nothing to hit and he didn't hit a pothole.

He parks inn a driveway our garage and doesn't really go anywhere that requires parallel parking.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Flying monkey herder

i'm going to still say that it looks like something external cut into the tire vs a manufacturing defect-- you see the nylon cords pretty neatly severed in the flap thats loose, that it happened at the same time on the same side of the car....

where did he buy them?

tire rack can shave tires down to match, but if the existing tires are at 90%, shouldnt need to

Old 06-01-2016, 09:54 AM

Anything that would have hit the tires hard enough at highway speed would have caused an accident.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:08 AM
Flying monkey herder

i would disagree, the runflat did its job in this case, a jagged metal piece of debris would have cut into that sidewall and with the runflat sidewall, the car would have kept on going without missing a beat.

in any case, its going to be hard to find a similarly riding runflat thats not the driveguard-- the driveguard is the latest gen of runflats, with a more pliable sidewall than traditional runflats. the newer michelins are good, not quite the same, but you'll be buying a whole set of 4.

i would personally just order another two from tire rack, shaved to depth if needed. other can chime in, but that damage does not look like a manufacturing defect at all, based on the shape of the hole and the cleanly cut cords. if its the same size and shape on both tires it would point even more to something external cutting into the tire.

pothole impact damage usually results in a horizontal tear, the sidewall splits internally from the pinch and the then the outer layer ruptures. a manufacturing defect will usually show up as a bulge perpendicular to the tread/rim and rupture vertically.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:34 AM

I don't know what too tell you. There were no potholes our debris. He was on rt 80 and heard a loud pop that sounded like a gunshot followed by another. Pulled over and saw the damage.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:37 AM

One guy at Costco just told me he sees this a lot with the drivegaurd and recommended the potenza.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i
I agree with Orient330iNYC. Definitely a rare coincidence that both tires blow out consecutively. Since there was no pothole, then it has to be a some piece of road debris that caused it.
Some debris, like a metal chard, can be very small you can't even see it while driving at highway speed. Or, it may look like pieces of tire tread.
Who knows what it was, but for that to happen to 2 tires at nearly the same moment is a rare occurrence and therefore had to be caused by something that your uncle drove over.

2010 BMW 335i
Monaco Blue Metallic
Premium+Sport Package
Auto/STEPTRONIC
COBB Stage 2, K&N, BMW Performance Exhaust

2005 Mustang GT
Redfire Metallic
5-spd
Ford Racing silver Bullitt wheels
Ford Racing Axle-back GTAs
Diablosport Predator
K&N CAI

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2046852

1997 Toyota Corolla
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3237714

1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: '09 E93 335i Monaco Blau
I had the sidewall blow out my rear passenger side Bridgestone Driveguard (about 50% of the tread life left), in a Disney parking structure at 5mph as I was making a 90 turn left.

Took it as a sign and swapped them all out for Michelin Pilot Super Sports and never looked back.

"Mods": Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Smartop. Tune2Air WMA3000B. Lux H8 160 Angel Eyes. #sostockithurts
Old 06-01-2016, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Sidewall blowout with Bridgestone Driveguard?

I had a blowout from a pot hole on a drive guard. My tire shop replaced it for free, I haven't had any issues with any of the other tires. Sounds like a very odd occurrence. The warranty on the tire should cover that...and next time buy the tire company's warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2016, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Same thing happen to me both tires on my passanger side after one of Bostons finest pot holes. Picture looks the same
Old 06-01-2016, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
Anyone experience sidewall damage with Bridgestone Driveguard tires?

My uncle had 2 tires go one right after the other. He was driving on the highway, didn't hit a bump. It was a pretty hot day maybe 90. Tires are maybe 1-2 years old I think. Still had 90% tread. He heard one pop and then the other. Damage on sidewall. Costco is giving him a hard time. They're also saying they can't get the same tires to replace the two that went out so he needs to get all 4 new.

They seem to still be available at tire rack.

He was really happy with these. The Turanza EL42 had a really harsh ride but these were great. Any info anyone has would be appreciated as well as any suggestions on runflat tires that have as good a ride as the Driveguard would be appreciated.
i like my DG's and no issues after 50k miles

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods
Old 06-02-2016, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
i'm going to still say that it looks like something external cut into the tire vs a manufacturing defect-- you see the nylon cords pretty neatly severed in the flap thats loose, that it happened at the same time on the same side of the car....

where did he buy them?

tire rack can shave tires down to match, but if the existing tires are at 90%, shouldnt need to
I agree that the damage is an external cut based on the photo (and 30+ years experience working for a tire manufacturer including product liability litigation).
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-02-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
I agree that the damage is an external cut based on the photo (and 30+ years experience working for a tire manufacturer including product liability litigation).
This is really getting ridiculous. Nothing hit the tires. There would be no reason to lie because even if he did hit something while driving he'd still be covered by the road hazard warranty. Even if he did lie to the store about hitting something because he thought it might affect the warranty, he wouldn't lie to me about it.

The car was travelling at highway speeds. What could possibly make a clean cut on a tire like that? If I tried to stab the tire with a sharp knife while it was rotating that fast I'd probably rip my arm off.

One of the people working there told me they see this with the Driveguard tires frequently. There was no issue getting the tires replaced under warranty. The issue was the availability. The Driveguards weren't in stock and were backordered. The other replacements also weren't readily available. He had been without a car for a few days and could have been two weeks or more until he got his car back which was a problem for him. Thankfully after speaking with the assistant manager of the store (not the tire center manager) he was able to remedy the situation.

If you look at the damage it's a U-shaped break. My best guess would be that the tire failed along the bottom of the U which runs parallel with the circumference of the tire and the upper parts of the U ripped up from the pressure releasing.

I don't know what it is about tire failures that make it so hard for people to believe they can happen. I once had a tire blow out so bad it took half the fender off the car. Almost everyone I spoke to was convinced it was something I must have done wrong except the people in the car with me when it blew out. Even after the manufacturer inspected the tire, paid for replacement and covered the cost of the damages that still wasn't enough to make some people think differently.

Last edited by TomNJ; 06-02-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Also replaced the marginal EL 42 tires with Drive Guards. After 10k miles, including a few moderate potholes, I've only had to adjust air pressure after 30o+ ambient temperature changes.

Tom
Old 06-02-2016, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
This is really getting ridiculous. Nothing hit the tires. There would be no reason to lie because even if he did hit something while driving he'd still be covered by the road hazard warranty. Even if he did lie to the store about hitting something because he thought it might affect the warranty, he wouldn't lie to me about it.

The car was travelling at highway speeds. What could possibly make a clean cut on a tire like that? If I tried to stab the tire with a sharp knife while it was rotating that fast I'd probably rip my arm off.

One of the people working there told me they see this with the Driveguard tires frequently. There was no issue getting the tires replaced under warranty. The issue was the availability. The Driveguards weren't in stock and were backordered. The other replacements also weren't readily available. He had been without a car for a few days and could have been two weeks or more until he got his car back which was a problem for him. Thankfully after speaking with the assistant manager of the store (not the tire center manager) he was able to remedy the situation.

If you look at the damage it's a U-shaped break. My best guess would be that the tire failed along the bottom of the U which runs parallel with the circumference of the tire and the upper parts of the U ripped up from the pressure releasing.

I don't know what it is about tire failures that make it so hard for people to believe they can happen. I once had a tire blow out so bad it took half the fender off the car. Almost everyone I spoke to was convinced it was something I must have done wrong except the people in the car with me when it blew out. Even after the manufacturer inspected the tire, paid for replacement and covered the cost of the damages that still wasn't enough to make some people think differently.
You can send more detailed pictures if you wish.
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Also replaced the marginal EL 42 tires with Drive Guards. After 10k miles, including a few moderate potholes, I've only had to adjust air pressure after 30o+ ambient temperature changes.

Tom
You're being too kind to the EL 42's. I think Fred Flinstone would find the ride too harsh.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 340 Xdrive Msport
I'll also agree looks like an external cut. May not have happened at that instance perhaps.

A few years back I had an Infiniti G35. When I brought it in for surface they noticed a deep cut in the sidewall. When you lifted the flap or rubber you could see the metal cords. New tire needed for sure.

Thinking back I believe I know what caused it. Months before I was parking very close to a curb (not parallel parking but straight in). I always do this to give anyone parking next to me as much room as possible to avoid door dings. I do remember a very sharp rock the size of a shoe perhaps. I believe the rock cut the sidewall as it was forced between the crub and the tire. There was no wheel damage and the tire never blew out...... but it would have eventually. In this situation it's entirely possible I could have cut both tires and been unaware until they blew.

My point is, stop being so damn defensive and realize that strange things do happen. Also, you might be mistaken thinking the damage happened at the exact time the tires went out.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:06 PM

I'm not being defensive. I'm annoyed.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330I
Thanks for posting this. I'll be staying away from these. I'm in NYC and we have the worst sidewalks, so I need strong sidewalls. Side note, now we can all see the design of the sidewall. :-)
Old 09-22-2016, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li
Quote:
He was on rt 80 and heard a loud pop that sounded like a gunshot followed by another.

I don't think the tires decided to 'off' themselves at the same time.
One right after the other signifies he came in contact with something, whether it be a steel plate in road, road debris, edge of pothole or insert your favorite road hazard to finish the story.
Beyond that, if he bought the tires at Costco and they installed them, they are covered by their road hazard warranty.
If they can't source the same tire, their policy allows them to replace with a comparable tire. I hope they chase them down for you.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sedan
You can read my experience here:

Bridgestone DriveGuard sidewall tears

I partly blame myself but I've now learned not to rely on my Flat (not Pressure) Tire Monitoring System to tell me when they are low on air.

For all I know they could have been "flat" for months and putting too much flex onto the sidewall.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search