Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 35d
FRM / Footwell module

So I took my 2010 328i to a local euro shop for a brake fluid service. A few hours later they call and say that the lights aren't working. I had no problems prior to dropping off the car. At the end of the day the shop calls and says I need a new FRM / footwell module and it will cost over $500 to replace (in addition to the brake fluid service).

Needless to say, I am super skeptical about the entire situation. The shop insists that the FRM failure is just a coincidence. They told me that from failure is common. I never had any lighting, window, or other electrical problems before I brought it to the shop.

Currently, I have asked them not to work on the car so that I can take it to the dealership. I don't trust them. At any rate I will likely be out of pocket between $500-$1000.

I tried doing research on frm failures but found very little. Am I being taken? Any know anything about from module failure?
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBrannigan View Post
So I took my 2010 328i to a local euro shop for a brake fluid service. A few hours later they call and say that the lights aren't working. I had no problems prior to dropping off the car. At the end of the day the shop calls and says I need a new FRM / footwell module and it will cost over $500 to replace (in addition to the brake fluid service).

Needless to say, I am super skeptical about the entire situation. The shop insists that the FRM failure is just a coincidence. They told me that from failure is common. I never had any lighting, window, or other electrical problems before I brought it to the shop.

Currently, I have asked them not to work on the car so that I can take it to the dealership. I don't trust them. At any rate I will likely be out of pocket between $500-$1000.

I tried doing research on frm failures but found very little. Am I being taken? Any know anything about from module failure?
i've read over the years that a couple have been replaced, so definetly possible, however it seems to be quite rare. Mine has glitch in it, where the scroll wheel to raise and lower the headlights (halogen) sometimes works, but since I don't really care about that function anyway, I've just left it as it always stays in the highest setting anyway. But it's a bit of a coincidence to have just failed exactly when you took it to them, but I still don't know what options you have apart from taking it somewhere else for another opinion.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
FRM / Footwell module

I agree it could just be a coincidence but it seems hard to swallow.
When you take it to the dealership ask them if they can determine the cause of failure before you go back to the first shop and raise hell unnecessarily.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
You can buy a used FRM and code it in. You can even upgrade from your FRM2 to FRM 3. You'll get a couple new features, nothing crazy.

FRM sits in the driver's side footwell, by the OBDII port. It's about the same location under the brake fluid reservoir in the engine bay. I can't say for sure that fluid can leak into the cabin at that location, but I would pull the cover for the FRM module and see if there is any liquid there.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-12-2013, 01:45 PM

This really sucks. I'll need to take it to the dealer so that means pretty much missing a day of work on top of all the repair costs.

Also the windows are open and cannot be closed. So no lights and windows down. It is cold these days.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:52 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I would follow fdriller's advice before any evidence you have could evaporate. Should be easy to get to.

I recently did my first brake fluid job in the summer with a pressure bleeder. The cap wasn't sealed 100.00% and a bit leaked out, I was pretty careful with covering a lot of things, but flushed a bit of water down in the area for good measure (because it will eat paint). The water seemed to drip out nearby where the jack point is behind the wheel, FYI.

I don't know about other methods, but I have come across certain DIY mistakes made on other cars where they are nearly "gushing" out brake fluid. If a mechanic did this on accident, I could see them pouring a lot of water down in the area, I'm just dumbly guessing, some of the knowledgeable mechanics here might know what does typically happen.

It is a weird "coincidence". It's one thing if they were fixing a flat tire at the right rear, but that FRM is indeed right in that area where brake fluid goes, and roughly in the path of where my "dripping water" had flowed to.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Well, let's be fair - coincidences do happen - you may give them the benefit of the doubt.

In other news, shares of the Golden Gate Bridge are, as to TODAY, available for purchase! I am the sole broker, and must be contacted for this ground floor opportunity. HURRY! Shares are expected to triple in valve over the next 7 days and available lots of 100 shares are limited! Par value, for next 32 hours only, expiring midnight tomorrow, are $35/share. Please PM to purchase!!

Now then. Where were we? Footwell module! [VIEW PCB HERE] Looks like - thank God! - a conformal coating has been applied. For those not in the printed circuit board industry, that's a coating, usually clear or black, that protects the board from liquids and dirt. Big question: Will Glycol [brake fluid] compromise the coating? And if so, why on Earth did BMW put a coated board there?

Questions for the mighty Oracle to answer - I make no such claim for myself. But I would like a peek at your board, ZappBrannigan. Whattya say?? Hi res photo front & rear?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-12-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:18 PM

I don't have the car right now. I ask for the damaged module.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
I don't have the car right now. I ask for the damaged module.

Be sure they know that early on - fax is good 'cause there's a receive receipt - they can't deny they got it - can't say they didn't know. Demand that board!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Be sure they know that early on - fax is good 'cause there's a receive receipt - they can't deny they got it - can't say they didn't know. Demand that board!
Will do.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
If water or brake fluid is entering the cabin from the vicinity of the brake fluid reservoir, you have bigger/more insidious problems than a dead footwell module.

Rule #1 when repairing consequential damages caused by a leak: You begin by fixing the leak.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-12-2013, 05:35 PM

The shop owner says he will pay for the repair cost if the dealer says the shop caused the problem. So this may be something that cannot be proven. Makes me think that fluid did not leak on the module, as that would be obvious evidence.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
You can buy a used FRM and code it in. You can even upgrade from your FRM2 to FRM 3. You'll get a couple new features, nothing crazy.

FRM sits in the driver's side footwell, by the OBDII port. It's about the same location under the brake fluid reservoir in the engine bay. I can't say for sure that fluid can leak into the cabin at that location, but I would pull the cover for the FRM module and see if there is any liquid there.
hi, do you know where i can find a diy how to code new frm module to e90? thanks
Old 02-05-2016, 03:12 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert/14JGC/ 13Outback
Having replaced the FRM I can tell you that it isn't much fun since I am a big guy and it was winter when I did it.
Mine was actually fine but I coded the car back to the OEM settings.
It is possible that the FRM failed but for a total failure that is highly unusual. Usually when an FRM fails it is because someone shorted a light or window motor. The FRM 3 I believe can be reset like a fuse.
The only way the dealership can tell if the problem was the shops is if there is a fluid in the wiring harness to FRM that can be detected. I have not seem brake fluid make it inside the cabin when some was spilled before but then again it is impossible to rule everything out.

A serviceable FRM 2 or 3 is not expensive and you can have coding done externally if you have a laptop with wifi connection. Some of our members in the coding section offer this service to members. You might want to check that out.

Again total failure is very rare compared to some areas on the FRM failing...

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
footwell module, frm

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search