Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-27-2014, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
Stock Halogen Headlights??

So on my 2006 BMW i have stock halogen headlights,

I really want to get angel eyes but Im not sure if you're supposed to swap out the whole headlight or if you could add the actual halo rings inside the headlight. What are you guys suggestions?
Ads by Google
Old 07-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 328xi
Retrofit. You need the whole kit and code it. It won't be cheap though.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG Hyundai View Post
Retrofit. You need the whole kit and code it. It won't be cheap though.
How much do they go for?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Look into DEPO headlights. They are aftermarket housings and are plug and play.

While they aren't the best quality, they are an improvement over halogens. Search for Fishcake321 on eBay. He sells modded DEPO housings with upgraded LED angel eye rings. The stock DEPO housings have crappy angel eyes.

The modded DEPOs run about $500. Another $100 or so for install. An OEM setup without self leveling or adaptive will run you about $1600 installed and coded.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
I've seen sets like these from fishcake321...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-09-11-B...item27e4d51a70

Are these truly plug and play for Halogen models? I would've thought there'd be some error coding that would need to be fixed with the corners.
That said, anyone know if the projectors on these would be of any light improvement? Or a downgrade?

Looks are one thing, but the safety of illumination for me is paramount.

I've thought about doing retrofits like these but the thoughts of an inferior product make me wonder what's truly good and what isn't.
1) Top priority is = or better than stock illumination. No upgrade for 'looks' is worth downgrading safety.
2) Looks comes second to all
3) Easily plug and play would be the next appreciated option.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 AM

He sells them as plug and play and he uses resistors, etc. to eliminate errors.

However, whenever someone installs these and they come to me for coding, I always code their car for halogen.

This removes the PWM manipulation for the low beam circuit and allows for a clean, stable voltage source. If you leave PWM on, it can shorten the life of the ballast or even cause it to not ignite the bulb.

Using resistors is a really an inefficient way to retrofit things when there is the option to code the car to function the way you want. Resistors eat up the excess current and dissipate (waste) it in the form of heat. That's why these things get so hot.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 PM

Thanks again fdriller9! Though my car already has halogen, so I guess I really don't have to worry about coding issues!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Thanks again fdriller9! Though my car already has halogen, so I guess I really don't have to worry about coding issues!
The DEPOs come with HID projectors. So you should code your car for xenons if you go this route. They should still work without coding, but just to prevent any headaches down the road, I would have them coded.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 PM

odd, it's listed on the site as coming with Halogens...
Quote:
This set of headlight includes:
x2 New Projector Angel Eyes Clear Corner Headlight (Left + Right)
x4 New Halogen bulbs for Low and High Beam
x4 UHP LED Angel Eyes Halo Rings system pre-installed
x2 Amber Bulbs for Corner Signal Lights
Euro Style Clear Corner Reflector
That's one of the things that has me confused...

I'm not terribly certain that the Depo's are designed for either Halogens or HIDs

So, I often wonder if the projector design would be suboptimal if in this case, you were to use Halogens in the projectors, vs HID, or vice versa.

Last edited by Wongway; 07-28-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 PM

Ohh then forget what I said! Some come with HID kits

Old 07-28-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Look into DEPO headlights. They are aftermarket housings and are plug and play.

While they aren't the best quality, they are an improvement over halogens. Search for Fishcake321 on eBay. He sells modded DEPO housings with upgraded LED angel eye rings. The stock DEPO housings have crappy angel eyes.

The modded DEPOs run about $500. Another $100 or so for install. An OEM setup without self leveling or adaptive will run you about $1600 installed and coded.
Thats the thing.. i don't have enough to spend $500 or more on headlights.
Although, i was looking at these headlights for my 06 bmw.

do you think these will work at all?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuurdii View Post

Will they work, yes.

Will it be worth it, no.

I would consider those a downgrade from factory halogens. You're better off with used LCI halogen housings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-11-BMW...cdc90b&vxp=mtr

If you can find the matching set, you're only in $350-$400 and get the angel eyes.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuurdii View Post

Everywhere I've looked, the universal comments have been that the projector cut offs on those are horrid. Worse than OEM.

I don't see why $500 is so out of the question. Your ability to see at night, avoid a deer, or a pedestrian is worth way more than $500 to me. I spend more than that on tires. Sure, I can buy cheapo retreads or $100 jobbers, but then I just cut my ability to stop, maneuver, and my overall safety.

Save your $$ then and get better ones. No sense in spending $500 to have worse output than OEM. That's an even bigger waste of money. Even the DEPOs that are pretty common are generally not regarded as decent until others such as Umnitza(sp?), Fishcake, etc and others mod the projectors with better parts. However, with that, comes the possibility of water leakage.

I'd like to upgrade my halogens myself, but I sure as heck won't throw $500 away with the risk they'll give me worse light than stock.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:39 PM
www.umnitza.com

Mein Auto: ///M
Give us a look, we offer both a complete headlight and a retrofit that far less or even far more expensive depending on your wants and desires