Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-28-2016, 09:26 AM
09' 335IC

Mein Auto: 2009 335IC
Begging for help ...wiper issue

I have searched. Oh, how I have searched. This forum, other BMW forums, the internet, the manuals... Please don't ask me to search again unless you can give me a specific pointer on what to search for.

09' 335i Convertible Atlantic Bluewater Metallic. LoveloveLOVE the car. A while ago a tree jumped out and bit the left front of the vehicle (it fell onto a highway at night and I was the second car to hit it... the first car was way worse off). The impact was hard enough to take me up on two wheels and back down hard enough to actually dislodge the overhead interior light cluster and do some serious damage to the left front suspension. Into the body shop she goes, out she comes, pretty as you please.

Except, a few weeks later, the windshield wipers went insane. And have stayed insane since.

Symptoms:
1) The wipers do not work on rain-sensing at all, whether the little green light on the stalk is on or not

2) The wiper intermittent speeds do not work.

3) When first activated, the wipers will work for a short period of time, less than 15 seconds I'd say, with no variation in speed. Then they stop randomly, but usually in the middle or up position.

4) If I activate them again, they will work at the same speed for a few more seconds and then stop completely at a very random location. They WILL NOT activate again until after I have turned the car off, and back on. Where I can repeat the pattern above.

It's like they operate in emergency mode or something (one speed, consistently, no matter how I try to alter it) for a few seconds, and then stop. Then they do it once more, then they just say "Nope, not moving again until system reset".

The windshield wiper sprayers seem to work, and the headlight washers seem to work.

I pulled the codes using icarly BMWhat and got an A6C9 wiper fault once. I did replace the relay in the fusebox, but I understand there may be another relay soldered on the JBE somewhere. Does anyone know if this is true?

I am curious if anyone else has ever seen these symptoms. The BMW mechanic shop seems to think it may be the headlight washer pump for some reason. I am wondering, if instead, it might be the rain sensor or possibly a damaged wiper motor. I'm not that afrfaid of the cost, if it fixes the problem, I just don't want to be replacing parts randomly until it magically gets fixed.

Truly, I just want to figure this out. I live in SoCal, so it's not too rainy, but still it's a legitimately unsafe issue.

Anyone have ANY ideas on possible causes? If it's the JBE, how much to just replace the entire thing? Is it possible the rain sensor is malfunctioning or was knocked off center by the impact?

Your help and ideas are really appreciated.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

Last edited by Bouncer; 11-28-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e90 325i
Were the wipers on when you hit the tree?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2016, 12:06 AM
09' 335IC

Yes. It was snowing and we were on a rural divided highway at night.

The tree fell from the wooded median into the middle of the road and the lead car hit it doing at least 60mph. I hit it going only a little less because my only choice was to pull a Tom Cruise "Days of Thunder" move and drive through the snow/smoke/bits of flying tree, effectively going into the tunnel made for me by the lead car. I almost made it out.

The only two miracles were that the tree was somewhat rotten and that the baby in the car in front of me was in a carrier. Otherwise we'd be talking about dead people.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 11-29-2016, 02:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335is 2011
Begging for help ...wiper issue

That's interesting, did you have to replace your windshield ? The sensor for the wipers is mounted on the inside behind the rear view mirror? Maybe it was not replaced correctly or it was damaged in some manner during the accident ? You said the interior light came loose, maybe it shifted and is not reading correctly, causing some type of error in the system if you did not have to replace the windshield?

Last edited by 328iblack; 11-29-2016 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:09 AM
09' 335IC

I have been wondering that myself for a while now, but I am unsure how to test this. I know that in some older BMWs, you can pull a fuse for the auto-wiper which forces the system into a manual mode, but I am unsure how, or even if, that can be done on the E93 series.

I am very open to any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this, though I'd prefer something besides "Throw parts at it until fixeded!" . The behavior, though weird, is utterly consistent, which makes me think the system is in some sort of "emergency wiper mode" or isn't getting a return signal it expects, or something.

As I recall, the wipers worked until it went into the shop. I firmly believe they were working after the accident as I was sitting there with the engine running, wipers going, snow falling, waiting for the rollback to arrive. The car was undriveable so I had time to sit and think on the errors of my ways ...and how much I wanted to punch VDOT for not noticing a go**amn TREE about to fall over.

Could be worse, of course, and if I have to I'll take it in to the dealership and we'll play "parts darts" until we hit a bulls-eye. I'd just like to avoid that expense if possible, and I know there are a ton of smartypants types here with lots of experience.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 11-29-2016, 01:40 PM
new to BMW life

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
1st call would be to your insurance company. tell them the car is NOT fixed properly. Especially since you got the car back IF you have not had to use them.
when you got the car back from repair it SHOULD of been in the same working order as it was before the accident.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:06 AM
09' 335IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman15 View Post
1st call would be to your insurance company. tell them the car is NOT fixed properly. Especially since you got the car back IF you have not had to use them.
when you got the car back from repair it SHOULD of been in the same working order as it was before the accident.
While I appreciate the advice, it's just not practical in this situation as both the car, and myself, have moved across country since the repair. I've been living with the issue for a while as I tried to find some sort of likely resolution but while I've found one other owner of an 09 convertible 335i with the exact same issue.. that person posted only once, on another forum, and then promptly disappeared.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 11-30-2016, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi
You may want to start by carefully prying off the mirror mount cover.

There are small plastic latches (very easy to break!) right on the seam. About three of them, that hold the cover together. Refer to pictures on RealOEM or photos others have posted performing mirror upgrades or retrofits.

This only takes a few minutes to do. You need not remove the mirror.

The RLS has very likely fallen off the windshield. I pulled the cover off on my car when I did a mirror upgrade only to find the RLS was only partially contacting the windscreen. Once I re-affixed it properly my auto-wipers worked sooo much better!
Old 11-30-2016, 11:36 AM
09' 335IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
You may want to start by carefully prying off the mirror mount cover.

There are small plastic latches (very easy to break!) right on the seam. About three of them, that hold the cover together. Refer to pictures on RealOEM or photos others have posted performing mirror upgrades or retrofits.

This only takes a few minutes to do. You need not remove the mirror.

The RLS has very likely fallen off the windshield. I pulled the cover off on my car when I did a mirror upgrade only to find the RLS was only partially contacting the windscreen. Once I re-affixed it properly my auto-wipers worked sooo much better!
This may turn out to be a very helpful thought!

I've noticed, but didn't think it connected, that the auto mirror dimming is wonky. Sometimes works quickly, sometimes slowly, sometimes not at all. I wonder if the problem is related to the mirror wiring since all of that seems to be in the same area, like there's a harness connection point that is loose. I do note the mirror does seem to know what direction I'm travelling, and I haven't noticed that little LCD blinking on or off or anything, so I don't think it's necessarily a power issue, but rather a path issue between the mirror assembly and the ECU that tells it to dim the rear and side mirrors.

Hmm... Anyways, I'll try and take a look once I get off work to see if I can notice anything about the RLS, thanks.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 11-30-2016, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi
The cover separates from the center.

Start at the bottom, press in/down where the plastic latch is while you push the two halves apart.

Should you break the cover, they are available for about $9.00 or so from many sites so don't sweat it.

You will also see the RLS connectors, but the wiring harness plugs for the mirror are not really visible until you remove the mirror.

The mirror TWISTS off (like hands of a clock) either right or left, from the base on the windscreen. Twist it 35 degrees or so to the right or left and it falls off the mount.

It doesn't take a lot of pressure to remove it, but I was very worried the first time I did this because of all of the stories about people cracking their windscreens. I assume they must have been pulling or pushing on the mounting arm which you should not do.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 330xi, 335i
Bouncer:

My wife had a wiper failure on our 330xi, which produced the same symptoms as your 335ic. The 330xi did not crush, but all the symptoms (1-4) you described were present, having started during a heavy, wet snowfall in 2014.

I went about solving the problem in a manner similar to yours. I've tested the relays and the wiper motor, etc, but since all the hardware I looked at checked OK, it looked as if the heavy load on the wipers had put the wiper system into some sort emergency mode. Googling the problem was not productive.

I've decided to attempt to re-initialize the car, which I hoped might also re-initialize the wipers system. To make the story short: I put the car to sleep, went to the trunk and disconnected the battery's negative terminal, kept it off for about 30 seconds, then reconnected. All of this have taken less time than testing the hardware and, surprise, this lucky guess fixed the problem. The wipers has been working since, doing all they are supposed to do.

Last edited by Oulixes; 12-02-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:02 PM
09' 335IC

That is certainly worth trying! I'll probably be doing that tomorrow and will report back (I hate when a problem gets solved and the poster disappears without an update!)

One quick question, what year is your wife's 330ix?

I hadn't considered resetting the car since I heard that battery initialization was some sort of "dealer only" kinda deal.

Though maybe that only applies to a new battery. Either way thanks for the tip!

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
09' 335IC

Welp, just got back from trying the battery disconnect.

No joy.

I did notice that while I had to reset the time and date, all my radio presets stayed. Does anyone know if approximately 20 minutes is long enough to cause a system reset, or should I give it an hour (or longer)?

As always, any ideas welcomed. I WILL say that accessing the battery in the convertible is no joke. I had to take off four different pieces to get access to it! So if I'm going to do that again, I'd really like to know how long I should wait before reconnecting the negative terminal...

Thanks again for any ideas or help you may be able to offer.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Today, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 330xi, 335i
Bouncer:
Sorry about the disconnect not working. Relatively speaking, the disconnect does not take long on my E90, where the access might be a bit better than in a convertible, but you are right, one still has to take off a few parts. The time period for battery being off to achieve re-boot is not clear, in my case 30 seconds worked. Maybe someone knows how to re-boot without disconnecting the battery. Good luck with your problem.
Regards,
O
Old Today, 01:40 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
The wipers do not work on rain-sensing at all, whether the little green light on the stalk is on or not

You have a green light?

Pic!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search