Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-04-2016, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: TBD
New BMW owner with some questions on my 335i

Just picked up a 2013 BMW 335i xDrive coupe last weekend in Connecticut and drove it back home to Michigan. (Long way to go I know, but this one just happened to have the exact configuration I was looking for: LeMans blue, manual trans, M-sport package, cold weather package, sunroof, no nav.) The car is in great shape with 40K miles on it and drives beautifully.

I am somewhat of a noob to BMW, although my wife and I have previously owned a MINI Cooper S and now a MINI Countryman. Nonetheless, I have a lot to learn about this car. So here are some questions. (Still working my way through the owner's manual, so "RTFM" will be a valid response if the information is in there...)

1. My car has electric seats, but strangely, the lumbar support is missing. It's outlined in the manual, but there is no switch on my seats, just a cutout where the switch is supposed to be. Is this for a reason? Is there no lumbar adjustment at all on these seats? Here's a pic:

2. The toolkit seems like it's missing a few tools. Anyone know what goes in these extra spaces:

3. Why does the headlight switch slide in and out? I can't figure out if there is any function to this.

4. I find it interesting that dash is equipped with an oil temp gauge but no coolant temp gauge. I understand the value of knowing when oil is up to operating temperature (meaning take it easy until it gets there), but it seems to me that coolant temp would be a better indicator of when the engine is actually OVERheating. Every car I've had in the past has had a coolant temp gauge. Is there any way to show current coolant temp through the on-board display?

Thanks -- looking forward to being part of this community.
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i E93 Monaco Blau
The car will warn you via the iDrive, which you don't have, or the main function display between the speedo and the tac if there is a coolant overheating issue.

The missing lumbar adjustment is very odd.

"Mods": Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Smartop. Tune2Air WMA3000B #sostockithurts
Old 02-04-2016, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i N55
My 335i has the exact same seats as yours (color and everything) and mine too is missing the lumbar support. At least in MX, pretty much every 335 that I have seen is missing that switch.
You have to order it from the dealer when you first buy the car (new obviously). Electric seats and electric lumbar support are 2 different add ons for the car.

On the tools section, you're missing the security stud bolt (standard on MX cars) but I don´t recall what else. Later I'll take a look at mine

Regards,
Old 02-04-2016, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutcorea View Post
My 335i has the exact same seats as yours (color and everything) and mine too is missing the lumbar support. At least in MX, pretty much every 335 that I have seen is missing that switch.
You have to order it from the dealer when you first buy the car (new obviously). Electric seats and electric lumbar support are 2 different add ons for the car.
I believe that power seats were standard on the 335i (optional on the 328i) but lumbar was only available as part of the Premium Package. And the last BMW coolant temp gauge I had (1999 E46) was so heavily buffered that it functioned like an idiot light once the car was warmed up - never deviating from the middle until it was too late. Be happy that you have the oil temp gauge as the E90 and E91 328i models don't even have that.

Tom

Last edited by Tom K.; 02-04-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
You are missing the allen wrench for manual opening for the sun roof, and an open wrench which I can not remember it's purpose. These tools are not included in the USA, but if you do a search you can find where to purchase them. The headlight switch is rotary only and should not be pulled out or pushed in.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
You are missing the allen wrench for manual opening for the sun roof, and an open wrench which I can not remember it's purpose. These tools are not included in the USA, but if you do a search you can find where to purchase them.
Thanks, I'll look for them. Manual closing of the sunroof would be good to have! Strange that these would not be included in US models, especially if the molded tool case has spots for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
The headlight switch is rotary only and should not be pulled out or pushed in.
Strangely, my switch slides in and out very smoothly, with defined stops, as if it was designed that way. Maybe so it can be tucked away when set to automatic light control?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I believe that power seats were standard on the 335i (optional on the 328i) but lumbar was only available as part of the Premium Package.
That would explain it -- my car is not equipped with the premium package.

Quote:
And the last BMW coolant temp gauge I had (1999 E46) was so heavily buffered that it functioned like an idiot light once the car was warmed up - never deviating from the middle until it was too late. Be happy that you have the oil temp gauge as the E90 and E91 328i models don't even have that.

Tom
Yeah that's too bad. The Audi TT I was previously driving had a coolant temp gauge, and when my fans died one day, it let me know pretty quick. Another time my front grille completely iced over in a snowstorm, and again I watched the coolant temp creep up until I could pull over and clear the ice to restore airflow.

Our '06 MINI Cooper S had a gauge package, which included both coolant temp and oil pressure. (To your point though, the temp might have just been an idiot light...) When we replaced it with the Countryman, I was disappointed that it has neither! I have no idea how long that car takes to heat up.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Switch: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...adlight+switch
Tools: you have all the ones that come with the car from factory (us spec) - there's no crank receptacle anymore for moon-roof, therefore not crank provided.
You're better off buying a basic socket set, tire plug kit and a scissor jack to keep in your car at all times.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335I Con
I have all the packages so hard to tell but what comes to mind on yours is you might not have the sports pkg. All coupes come with it(sports pkg) suspension and seat bolster wise but not sure about lumbar support which might be in the premium pkg. Want mine? With the autos you can tell if sports pkg as it would have paddle shifters as well.
My garage: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2008 335i Convert., 1987 Mercedes 560SL, 1980 Corvette(highly modified), 2000 Harley Deuce, 1996 Suzuki DR350, 1985 Honda ATC 250SX, 1994 Donzi classic 22, 1981 Boston Whaler 13 sport...yes I need a bigger garage.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335I Con
I have all the packages so hard to tell but what comes to mind on yours is you might not have the sports pkg. All coupes come with it(sports pkg) suspension and seat bolster wise but not sure about lumbar support which might be in the premium pkg. Want mine? With the autos you can tell if sports pkg as it would have paddle shifters as well.
My garage: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2008 335i Convert., 1987 Mercedes 560SL, 1980 Corvette(highly modified), 2000 Harley Deuce, 1996 Suzuki DR350, 1985 Honda ATC 250SX, 1994 Donzi classic 22, 1981 Boston Whaler 13 sport...yes I need a bigger garage.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Sweet Ride!!! How does the new twin scroll turbo feel & sound?! -Gohan335i7E90
Old 02-06-2016, 06:16 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi
Congratulations! That is a beautiful car!
“In the olden days I always got the impression that TVR built a car, put it on sale, and then found out how it handled – usually when one of their customers wrote to the factory complaining about how dead he was.” -Jeremy Clarkson
Old 02-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
I believe that power seats were standard on the 335i (optional on the 328i) but lumbar was only available as part of the Premium Package.
Correct. Still the case today.

OP, congrats on the new car. Looks great!
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old Today, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita335i7 View Post
Sweet Ride!!! How does the new twin scroll turbo feel & sound?! -Gohan335i7E90
Thanks! Feels great, smooth power delivery with seemingly minimal lag. I don't really hear any turbo sound though. But the exhaust note is nice!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search