Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Cobalt LS
Advice on Potential Buy

Hi Bimmerfest,

New member here, this is my first post. My first car is starting to come to the end of it's life, having too many problems too consistently and it's not worth dumping more money into it. I'm a 3/5 in engineering school, and wanted to get a 4 door that would last me through the rest of college without needing any major repairs, just really regular maintenance.

I do not know much about BMWs, but I have always wanted one since I was little. I'm not sure if the rumors about them being terribly unreliable are true or not, so I figured I would post here to get some information.

I'm looking at , which is at the further end of my budget for a new car. From the mileage on it and the carfax report attached to it, does this seem to be a reasonable car for what I need? What are some critical things to look for when inspecting a used BMW like this in person?

Thanks everyone._a__a2_
Ads by Google
Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Coupe
Welcome! Fellow newbie here so my advice is moreso towards how I researched and made my decision.

I got my first BMW a couple weeks ago. Here's what I did:
1. Use the search feature on the forum and google. I researched everything from warranty, to expected issues at certain miles for the specific model I wanted.
2. Use the edmunds website to get an estimate of what the car will cost over the next 5 years (it includes average maintainence and repairs). I looked at a few different makes/models to compare so I made an informed decision about exactly what it could cost.
3. Test drive different makes/models. I did most of my research online but when I drove different cars some of the research went out the window lol.

I had my last car for 13 years, it was the same car my parents gave me for college. I plan to keep my car for a long time. So I decided to buy the best, and will take care of it.

Good luck with school and car shopping.

My first BMW: 2011 328i Coupe, Sports Package and navigation.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Cobalt LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyEsq View Post
Welcome! Fellow newbie here so my advice is moreso towards how I researched and made my decision.

I got my first BMW a couple weeks ago. Here's what I did:
1. Use the search feature on the forum and google. I researched everything from warranty, to expected issues at certain miles for the specific model I wanted.
2. Use the edmunds website to get an estimate of what the car will cost over the next 5 years (it includes average maintainence and repairs). I looked at a few different makes/models to compare so I made an informed decision about exactly what it could cost.
3. Test drive different makes/models. I did most of my research online but when I drove different cars some of the research went out the window lol.

I had my last car for 13 years, it was the same car my parents gave me for college. I plan to keep my car for a long time. So I decided to buy the best, and will take care of it.

Good luck with school and car shopping.
Hi!

I read up a little bit, couldn't get the Edmunds true cost of ownership cause its an 07. However, my research doesn't turn up any frequent major problems. I think im going to go inspect and test drive this car tomorrow and hope for the best.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutler View Post
Hi!

I read up a little bit, couldn't get the Edmunds true cost of ownership cause its an 07. However, my research doesn't turn up any frequent major problems. I think im going to go inspect and test drive this car tomorrow and hope for the best.
edit: oh nvm, test drive - maybe do an independent shop inspection.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutler View Post
New member here, this is my first post. My first car is starting to come to the end of it's life, having too many problems too consistently and it's not worth dumping more money into it. I'm a 3/5 in engineering school, and wanted to get a 4 door that would last me through the rest of college without needing any major repairs, just really regular maintenance.

I do not know much about BMWs
, but I have always wanted one since I was little. I'm not sure if the rumors about them being terribly unreliable are true or not, so I figured I would post here to get some information.

BMW Reliability vs. Honda:

Yo! You know what to buy.
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
College student = less money to spend => honda
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car