Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
Yes, I saw the restriction - I got mine from the dealer 4 or 5 years back. At some point, I'll run out so I need to check to see if it's still being carried. I did see on the autogeek site that Wurth has rubber care in a can. http://www.autogeek.net/wuruca.html
Not to get obsessive-compulsive, but it appears that Gummi Pflege is available in 'stick' form from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/einszett-91480...2446519&sr=8-1

Does anyone have any thoughts about this variation? There does not appear to be any restriction on where the Gummi Pflege stick can be shipped to.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Not to get obsessive-compulsive, but it appears that Gummi Pflege is available in 'stick' form from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/einszett-91480...2446519&sr=8-1

Does anyone have any thoughts about this variation? There does not appear to be any restriction on where the Gummi Pflege stick can be shipped to.
If I'm not mistaken, the "stick form" is the little bottles in my photo. It comes with a dauber attached like liquid shoe polish has.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the "stick form" is the little bottles in my photo. It comes with a dauber attached like liquid shoe polish has.
I was wondering why you chose a different application method instead of use the dauber. In retrospect, my earlier post wasn't really that clear. My bad.

Is there a problem with using the dauber that is included with the Gummi bottle? Too much flow? Not enough flow? Or?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
I can let Kat answer this but my experience is that the dauber is not precise for some applications. I use a Q-tip or my finger to better control the application. Hope that helps...
Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM
California ‹ber Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
I can let Kat answer this but my experience is that the dauber is not precise for some applications. I use a Q-tip or my finger to better control the application. Hope that helps...
Agree it's not precise enough sometimes as the foam tip is kind of large and angular when sometimes you need small and round. Also, when you're using it at an angle where the bottle is below the foam tip and it's unable to regularly supply product to the tip so you have to keep stopping, turning the bottle upside down and pumping it before putting it back to where you left off and continuing.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
I was wondering why you chose a different application method instead of use the dauber. Or?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihelm G View Post
Agree it's not precise enough sometimes as the foam tip is kind of large and angular when sometimes you need small and round. Also, when you're using it at an angle where the bottle is below the foam tip and it's unable to regularly supply product to the tip so you have to keep stopping, turning the bottle upside down and pumping it before putting it back to where you left off and continuing.
and this,

and to be honest, in the process of trying to work the dauber into some of the tighter spots it loosened from the supply tip and fell off. I already had a package of the assorted foam applicator sticks from autogeek so I started applying the Gummi to the stick applicator. They go into the crevices well and also are great for keeping the Gummi off the freshly washed paint. An extra bonus for me is that they give me 6 more inches of wingspan so I can reach to the middle of the top from the outside of the car. (You tall guys may not appreciate that detail, but for me it is huge).
Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Bavarian Garage

Mein Auto: 328i Coupe
Excellent sticky, loaded with good info. I use the gummi pflege every other wash/detail. Keeps the rubber pliable and looking new. I store my Z4 in the Winter, so I do all the seals before putting it away, and then again in mid-Winter... just for something to do. Like I tell my wife, if I'm not driving it, I'm cleaning it! Would remind everyone not to stop at the door/top seals. Pay attention to the seals around the trunk lid and under the hood also. Hope everyone has a great BMW Summer !!

2010 328i Coupe w/Sport and Premium Pkg, Space Gray Met
2003 Z4 Roadster w/sport and premium Pkg, Sterling Gray
2010 Mercedes ML350
2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335 / 2014 X-3
Four things

1. Kat, will you marry me?

2. I just placed an order with Wurth USA for the HHS-K and the Rubber Care. They now have a rubber care product that is shippable to all 50 states.

3. I ordered some Krytox from Amazon. Cannot wait for the stuff to arrive so I can get to work!

4. Thanks to Kat and fun2drive for taking the time to share their knowledge and expertise on the automotive miracle known as the retractable hardtop convertible.

2008 E-93 335i Convertible (ED) (Keeper)

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)

Last edited by Stevarino; 03-23-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarino View Post
1. Kat, will you marry me?

2. I just placed an order with Wurth USA for the HHS-K and the Rubber Care. They now have a rubber care product that is shippable to all 50 states.

3. I ordered some Krytox from Amazon. Cannot wait for the stuff to arrive so I can get to work!

4. Thanks to Kat and fun2drive for taking the time to share their knowledge and expertise on the automotive miracle known as the retractable hardtop convertible.
Is it okay with your wife?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:09 PM
I Drive Therefore I Am

Mein Auto: 335i 'Vert
This is a fantastic tutorial. Thanks! I asked my local BMW provider for such a service last year and they said they had none. I'm going to apply this ASAP.

One other thing I'll add. I was one of the first to take ownership of a E93 in the front range in early 2007. I noticed overtime the top shuttered and moaned on operation, esp. on closing. It turned out the hydraulic fluid was low. The dealer charged the system to manufacturer spec. and it operated smoothly again, as expected. So i would recommend such a check up if your top is shuttering or sluggish.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:26 AM

No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Is it okay with your wife?
Kat,

It is her idea! She made the suggestion after I gave her a 30 min. briefing on your excellent convertible top maintenence info.

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzer View Post
It turned out the hydraulic fluid was low. The dealer charged the system to manufacturer spec. and it operated smoothly again, as expected. So i would recommend such a check up if your top is shuttering or sluggish.
I have some Pentosin hydraulic fluid left over from a recent power steering flush. Where is the convertible top motor resovoir?

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 03-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
I have some Pentosin hydraulic fluid left over from a recent power steering flush. Where is the convertible top motor resovoir?
Under the floor board, inside a covered area. Follow the bundles of cords and hoses.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:46 PM
fl‚neur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
Got my can of Wurth HHS-K today, and promptly lubed all the moving parts on the cabrio top.

It was quiet before, now it's ninja-like the only non-motor-whiring sound is when the very front panel starts/stops its stacking, and you can hear the cords and fabric moving.

Again, great post. Without it I would never have found the Wurth and gone out and done this.

Oh, and lesson learned - when they say the HHS-K is highly adhesive, they mean it. Make sure to have a cloth to catch any overspray. I got a few small drizzles from a gust of wind on a panel and it was a pain to get off (Klasse All-In-One to the rescue)....
Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Be sure that the fluid is the correct type, theres a 7S and an 11S, maybe a 13S too. You may have the right type if they are the same, I don't know. I just wanted to catch you before you possibly used the wrong fluid. They're not interchangeable.
LOL at Kat, I recall when she took those pics. We were wondering what the heck was under there. She solved the mystery.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up!

The Pentosin I bought for the power steering is 11S as per the sticker on top of the fluid resevoir.
I think I am going to put this project on hold until I can be 100% sure of the fluid in the top motor.
Thanks for the reality check.

2014 X-3 35i (PCD)
Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 3 series conv
origami top

Hey kat

Thanks for the great info!!! I would like to add that I noticed on mine that it looks like sometimes the latch on the passenger side is not releasing all the way and if your not careful and keep trying to open the top you could actually see the top starting to get tweaked. I believe on the top that they showed which was all mangled was caused by the latch not releasing and the driver not realizing this, and tried to keep opening the top. I am not sure what is causing the la
tch on the one side not to release but if anybody has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

pgwaterman

Last edited by pgwaterman; 03-31-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwaterman View Post
Hey kat

Thanks for the great info!!! I would like to add that I noticed on mine that it looks like sometimes the latch on the passenger side is not releasing all the way and if your not careful and keep trying to open the top you could actually see the top starting to get tweaked. I believe on the top that they showed which was all mangled was caused by the latch not releasing and the driver not realizing this, and tried to keep opening the top. I am not sure what is causing the la
tch on the one side not to release but if anybody has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

pgwaterman
PG,
I had this occur with my car about a year ago. It turned out it was related to the hinges in the front cowl area. There is a TSB about it and they replaced the hinges under warranty. Get it checked out.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 AM

retrac top

Thank you kat
Old 04-02-2012, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Monaco Blue 'vert
This is a great sticky!

Thanks to Nordic Kat and FuntoRide.

I have been using the Gummy Pledge ever since I got my CPO 7 weeks ago. I intend to refer back to this sticky more often to get the lubrication done right.

The only small suggestion (or wishlist) is to have a zoom-out picture effect from FuntoRide's pictures ... so I know where to find his exact lubrication spots But I'm sure after doing it a few times, I will locate them all.

Thanks again for this valuable contribution !
Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
I used Kat's excellent pictures and annotated them. In the future I will attempt to get some pictures that are taken from a wider view.
The Wurth HHS-K lubricant is an amazing product...
Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2011 convertible
Hi, I have a question regarding my 2011 328i hard top cabrio. I purchased it 2 months a go brand new. It's space silver on black leather interior. Now, There are some spots on the black leather cover behind the rear headrests ( you see this section with top down). My question is what is the best way to clean this area? ( I hope I addressed it well, so you know what section I am talking about)
By the way it's great to join you guys in Bimmerfest, I am new so bear with me lol) cheers and happy Driving.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader-Vancouver View Post
Hi, I have a question regarding my 2011 328i hard top cabrio. I purchased it 2 months a go brand new. It's space silver on black leather interior. Now, There are some spots on the black leather cover behind the rear headrests ( you see this section with top down). My question is what is the best way to clean this area? ( I hope I addressed it well, so you know what section I am talking about)
By the way it's great to join you guys in Bimmerfest, I am new so bear with me lol) cheers and happy Driving.
Congrats on the Cabrio and welcome to the 'fest!

Regarding your spots -- first of all the black "leather" deck behind the rear seats isn't really leather - it's vinyl or "pleather". So, based upon that you have many cleaning options. Are your spots gooey or sticky, i.e. could they be pollen? Are they oily and dust is sticking to them?

Personally, every time I wash the car (roughly 1X/week except in the dead of winter in Houston), I will wipe the back deck down with a damp towel. About four times a year, I'll "treat" it with 303 Aerospace Protectant. If I noticed a stain of some sort I would most likely use either my Woolite/Isopropyl alcohol/Distilled water mixture or Zaino Leather cleaner (which I love) to clean the spot then follow with the 303 mentioned above.

The Zaino leather products are wonderful - many of us swear by them. They can be ordered online at http://www.zainostore.com/

Good luck and Happy Plein Aire Motoring.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 04-11-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM

retrac hardtop

Hey kat

Took my car in today for the hardtop catching on the passenger side latch, unfortunatley they were not able to get the hardtop to do the same thing therefore they could not detect what is wrong.They said they looked for tsb on the problem but could not find anything in their computer, I believe you said something about being a hinge in a cowl ?

Thanks Kat

P.g.waterman
Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2011 convertible
Nordic-Kat : You are absolutely great . I am happy to get to know you . Thanks a lot regarding the info on cleaning the leather . First of all I am absolutely loving my new 328i cabrio. Yes I know my engine is not turbo but the silky inline 3 liter 6 is smooth and pulls when needed plus I can always go a reverse with paddle shifters if needed for a highway pass or ...
As for The stains are not sticky , they are White hollow circles on the surface close to the back rests. I think they are water stains that stayed there for long and now combined with dust and penetrated to lower layers.I could not completely get rid of them by moist towel. I will try the leather cleaner that you mentioned and let you know how it works.
Kat : what's your BMW?