Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kietv View Post
Is there any 3rd party extended warranty that covers the top or is there any company out there that you recommended?

Thank you much in advance.
Some have been mentioned on this forum. I opted for the Wurth HHSs lubricating spray and hoping for the best. After a couple of months my terror of the top failing + costing $20K to repair pretty much subsided.

You've years of factory warranty left, mine expires soon. Will not extend with BMW or anyone else; it's been problem free since ironing the bugs out about a year ago + any major roof failure will likely be user error rather then the mechanism. Small leaks aside I've seen virtually zero roof issues on here other than the odd person leaving things in the wrong part of the trunk.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E93 335i
Following this manual, I purchased Gummi Pflege and Wurth. Spent 4 hours meticulously cleaning, applying Gummi to all rubber seals in the roof, then spent some time applying Wurth to every major and minor joint. Both products are amazing, in my opinion. Ease of application cannot be beat.

The results were beyond my expectations. All sounds and squeaks ceased to be! Felt like I was driving a new car. The roof retractred more quietly, seemingly smoother. The rod at the windshield lock no longer sticks. From now on, I'll be applying this stuff every few months. Our northern winters in tri-state are unforgiving.

Now to address the fraying cord on one side. Anyone know if CPO covers it?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPblM View Post
Following this manual, I purchased Gummi Pflege and Wurth. Spent 4 hours meticulously cleaning, applying Gummi to all rubber seals in the roof, then spent some time applying Wurth to every major and minor joint. Both products are amazing, in my opinion. Ease of application cannot be beat.

The results were beyond my expectations. All sounds and squeaks ceased to be! Felt like I was driving a new car. The roof retractred more quietly, seemingly smoother. The rod at the windshield lock no longer sticks. From now on, I'll be applying this stuff every few months. Our northern winters in tri-state are unforgiving.

Now to address the fraying cord on one side. Anyone know if CPO covers it?
Good to hear. The cords don't really do much.. not something I am worried about. I doubt the CPO warranty covers anything to with the roof

Oiling once a year before Fall is probably fine. My theory it to oil when temps are hot so the oil will penetrate better + applying the oil before the cold months which is when it's most needed

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 10-12-2013, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i Cabrio E93
My first ever post here is to say "thank you" to both of you for putting all this together. Simply unbelievable.

I have an 08 335i that I purchased CPO app 2.5 years ago. Absolutely love driving the car now that I ditched the run flats for Conti DWS. I really enjoy the car so I've decided I am going to keep and drive for hopefully a long time. Been letting the dealer do everything including keeping the top maintained; I came here looking for guidance. It drives me nuts when the top starts to rattle and creak, so I figured time for a little cabrio college education.

Boy did I find guidance! First thing I saw was your sticky. Immediately read it from start to finish. Honestly, if BMW NA were to create something along these lines, just for owners insite, the pr value alone would be through the roof.

So, all my gratitude to Nordic Kat and fun2drive for doing this. I honestly can't thank you two enough. I've ordered the Gummi Pflege and other secret sauce ingredients you both recommend and next Saturday will be spent going through step by step per your instructions. I'm looking forward to a nice quiet drive following.

Thank you again ever so much. Obviously you spent an enormous amount of time and energy on this and I appreciate your willingness to share it.

Last edited by rt-texas; 10-12-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:52 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
All we ask is that if you can contribute please do. If you find something that is undiscovered or a better solution to keeping our cars running and operating well please share.
Best wishes.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt-texas View Post
My first ever post here is to say "thank you" to both of you for putting all this together. Simply unbelievable.

Thank you again ever so much. Obviously you spent an enormous amount of time and energy on this and I appreciate your willingness to share it.
You are very welcome and as Fun2drive said, if you find something that works better, please share.

ps: Welcome to the 'fest!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 AM

Mein Auto: E93 320i M Sport
OK So I've gummi 'ed every rubber part I can find. Things are a little better but I'm still getting rattles / squeaks from around the two rear windows. I can only assume that they re coming from here anyway as they go when the windows are down.

I'm also getting a knocking from somewhere above my head on the drivers side (right hand drive). I can almost get rid of this by pushing on part of the internal mechanism through the roof covering but have n idea what to do next.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 2.5I
Guys, Gummi is not good enough, i use this on door seals and no more squeaks or rattles
http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...00%20309%20627
try this and you will love it.
first clean all rubber/plstic pieces and let them dry completly and then apply this.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:30 PM
BMWCCA 149159

There are other products besides Gummi Pfledge which are discussed such as Krytox and Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick. For most Gummi works just fine. Krytox is pretty expensive while Gummi isn't. YMMV feel free to do whatever suits your needs and budget.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:59 AM

I tried the Krytox too. Damn expensive and I'm not it was as good or any better.

I'm also getting these items transferring on thie windows now too. Is that a common issue?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:47 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Yes that is normal and just something that happens as a result of the protection the project provided. I clean it off and doesn't last long a few cleanings and you are good for quite a while...
Old 10-27-2013, 02:59 AM

Thanks for that. Any ideas about the knocking form the area above my head?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 AM
BMWCCA 149159

I think Kat has experience with this as well but that typically is a linkage adjustment tweak. In other words the top latches using those two latch mechanisms on to a round pin. If that adjustment isn't just right you will get a clunk or noise. Now the bad news some members have had dealerships that were unable to make that adjustment or correct that issue to the point of having the car returned to the dealership lemoned.
Lets hope it isn't that bad. I would recommend that you ask the dealership service advisor to ride with you to witness the noise which should help the tech make adjustments.
Every BMW convertible I have owned to include E30-E36's have had issues with that latch adjustment. I have made all my own adjustments on them except the E93 which isn't experiencing that problem you have.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
I think Kat has experience with this as well but that typically is a linkage adjustment tweak. In other words the top latches using those two latch mechanisms on to a round pin. If that adjustment isn't just right you will get a clunk or noise. Now the bad news some members have had dealerships that were unable to make that adjustment or correct that issue to the point of having the car returned to the dealership lemoned.
Lets hope it isn't that bad. I would recommend that you ask the dealership service advisor to ride with you to witness the noise which should help the tech make adjustments.
Every BMW convertible I have owned to include E30-E36's have had issues with that latch adjustment. I have made all my own adjustments on them except the E93 which isn't experiencing that problem you have.
Hope this helps.
I have had experience both with sticky hinges on the front cowl and a funky little rattle that seems to go away when I press on the headliner with my right hand directly above the center console. Interestingly enough, the rattle happens during the "cold" months of the year here in Houston and I can make it go away with making sure the rubber strip that marries the front side windows to the back side windows is properly conditioned. This is a strip that I use the Krytox on, but as I demonstrated in the original post, I use the Krytox very sparingly and make sure it is very thoroughly massaged into the rubber. The first time I made the connection between rattles above my head and the two pieces of glass rattling against each other kind of surprised me. It is very counterintuitive.

The other thing I would mention is that if you have things like radar detectors or toll tags suctioned cupped to the windshield they can sometimes vibrate, and due to the curvature of the windshield will resonate and transmit sound. I also discovered that with my V1. Its windshield mount is a hanging cradle that is attached to the windshield with two suction cups. If the V1 is not perfectly balanced fore and aft in its cradle, when going over road irregularities especially at low speed it will oscillate and bounce against the windshield glass and cause all sorts of annoying rattles. Ironically, because the wiring for the V1 runs between the cowling and the windshield, sometimes just pushing on the headliner close to the rearview mirror has the same effect as taking the radar detector off the windshield. CRAZY!!!!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 11-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash1973 View Post
Hi i have a 2005 e90 320d se there are scratches on my driver side electric window console and grab handle , i wanted to know what was the best and cheapest way to repair them . i have a light grey interior and it looks scruffy . many thanks
Did you even read this thread's title before posting your question?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Did you even read this thread's title before posting your question?

No worries - I moved it to a thread of its own.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post

No worries - I moved it to a thread of its own.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 320 Msport Convertible
Thank You Very Much

Hello Kat & Fun2Drive,

This is my very first post and you are well deserving of it. I have recently acquired my first convertible, 2007 320 M Sport I am not even sure what it's E model number is.

The car has been quite well looked after (not up to my own exacting standards) and is clearly a thing of beauty as well as fun.

I count myself extremely lucky in that there does not appear to be be any leaks that I can currently see and United Kingdom weather being what it is I am certain there would have been some by now had it been an issue, in fact its raining as I type this mail.

I realized very quickly that the roof was an incredible piece of design engineering and knew there must be a maintenance caveat somewhere. After googling I found your supremely excellent thread on this forum that can be better described as a manual of guidance for the discerning owner.I instantly registered on reading it.

I had already acquired some krytox oil but had not used it as I needed more information which I got from here. The application was a far bigger job than I had anticipated and unfortunately the fading light meant things got a bit rushed.

I have started on the hinge maintenance also but sadly HHS -K is impossible to locate here in the UK even the Wurth shop itself does not list it. All I have managed to get is HHS 2000 lubricating oil. I believe this has similar qualities to HHS -K. I have not noticed any creaking or offensive noise ( my hearing is not that brilliant these days) and my roof comes down and up without issue so I count myself exceptionally lucky. The hinges do show some signs of previous lubrication but not all of them. It did not appear to me that any of the rubber seals had ever been treated.

Once again thank you both for your very valuable efforts and continued support.

Peter
Old 12-15-2013, 09:52 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Peter:
Welcome to the forum.
Your BMW is an E93.
Also Wurth did stop selling the HHS-K and replaced it with the 2000 as you have noted.
The top is very reliable when properly cared for and should service you well in the UK.
As other products are discovered you will find members post what those are which might well be superior to what we recommended at the time the DIY guide was written. Case in point is the changes to WD-40 which has an expanded product line to cover true lubrication and penatration not just water dispursement.
Again welcome...
Old 01-28-2014, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 99 540i/6 Dinan 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kietv View Post
Is there any 3rd party extended warranty that covers the top or is there any company out there that you recommended?
I know this is a few months old, but wanted to reply that Route 66 warranties (aftermarket) do cover the top. It is an exclusionary warranty and besides concluding that its covered by reading the policy, I also called them and double-checked over the phone. This warranty helped alleviate my heartburn associated with purchasing a higher mileage, used 08 E93 335i that has every option including active steering, active cruise, etc.. I will get my money back if ANY of these systems fail.

So, new E93 owner here....thanks for all this info. My new to me E93 has likely never had any maintenance done, so I am going to use my HHS that I have already in the garage to lube everything and also have Gummi on order through Amazon.

I'm going to lube the hinges with HHS first, drive it for a week, then do the gummi on the seals. Just curious which makes the most difference so if in the future it starts making nose, I know which treatment will help.

I have noises that I would call rattles that sound like they are coming from the passenger side rear. I'm going to do the full maintenance in this thread and if they aren't gone, I will be looking forward to tapping into the expertise on this thread. The car has been rolling for 6 years and 80k on rock hard 19" run flats, so it was bound to have some rattles.

Loving my E93...Thanks for the great info on this post!
Old 01-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Omnia in modum

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
I know this is a few months old, but wanted to reply that Route 66 warranties (aftermarket) do cover the top. It is an exclusionary warranty and besides concluding that its covered by reading the policy, I also called them and double-checked over the phone. This warranty helped alleviate my heartburn associated with purchasing a higher mileage, used 08 E93 335i that has every option including active steering, active cruise, etc.. I will get my money back if ANY of these systems fail.

So, new E93 owner here....thanks for all this info. My new to me E93 has likely never had any maintenance done, so I am going to use my HHS that I have already in the garage to lube everything and also have Gummi on order through Amazon.

I'm going to lube the hinges with HHS first, drive it for a week, then do the gummi on the seals. Just curious which makes the most difference so if in the future it starts making nose, I know which treatment will help.

I have noises that I would call rattles that sound like they are coming from the passenger side rear. I'm going to do the full maintenance in this thread and if they aren't gone, I will be looking forward to tapping into the expertise on this thread. The car has been rolling for 6 years and 80k on rock hard 19" run flats, so it was bound to have some rattles.

Loving my E93...Thanks for the great info on this post!
Congrats on the new to you E93 and Welcome to the 'Fest.

Good info regarding the warranty.

In my experience, the squeaks and rattles are most associated with the rubber seals needing lubrication. Hinge lubrication is essential to keep things working smoothly, but once the top is either up or stowed, the hinges are pretty much stationary. When the top is up, it is the rubber seals that experience the full stress and lack of moisture in them causes them to bounce against each other and squeak/rattle.

The longer the car goes unwashed, the more opportunity there is for dirt and dust to coat the rubber parts. The dirt and dust acts as both an abrasive and creates micro space between the adjoining seals promoting more noise. During the warm months of my year, typically early March through early November, I can get by with regular applications of Gummi Pflege applied during my weekly wash and maintenance. During our coldest months of December and January when the car may only get washed once or twice, I've found that using a good coating of the Krytox helps tremendously. Interestingly enough, this year I had quite a few days in December and early January where I was able to open the top. Simultaneously, I've not been as vigilant with the washing routine. With this it seems that the ability to articulate the top helps mitigate squeaks despite less than optimal maintenance. This last weekend my E93 sat outside for 4 nights and was opened up early this AM in at freezing temps. I had absolutely no squeaks or creaks or rattles in spite of the freezing temps and rain/icing and lack of my customary maintenance routine.

If your new to you E93 has had little top maintenance, you may find that you need to do one good hinge lubrication treatment and a series of rubber seal moisturizing treatments. The more neglected the rubber seals have been the more TLC they will need.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Hi Kat,

Thank you very much for the very informative post -- have been busy and tardy replying. I look forward to finally getting a chance to do this. Its actually been raining here in SoCal...

FYI, had a chance to try some cargo loading at Costco today - no sweat!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...7#post15407187
Old 02-08-2014, 01:32 PM

OK, I just did a lube of the hinges/condition of the seals. All very straightforward.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the seals seem very dry and didn't seem to soften with the Gummi. Its 66 and sunny/dry here right now (sorry to those in the snow), so it dried up very quickly after application.

Should I be thinking about the more expensive stuff in the tube or not worry about it?

Thanks, -Paul
Old 02-08-2014, 06:35 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Paul
This isn't a single application process when seals are dried out. I would suggest doing this a number of times until it is showing the sheen and the material doesn't soak in. You can buy the other more expensive products but the only problem is that it need multiple applications and once it is absorbed it should be pliable...
Hope this helps...
Kat has more experience than I do on this topic but it sounds like your E93 has never seen any rubber seal treatment...
Old 02-09-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Paul
This isn't a single application process when seals are dried out. I would suggest doing this a number of times until it is showing the sheen and the material doesn't soak in. You can buy the other more expensive products but the only problem is that it need multiple applications and once it is absorbed it should be pliable...
Hope this helps...
Kat has more experience than I do on this topic but it sounds like your E93 has never seen any rubber seal treatment...
Thanks. That's what I plan to do, but it was disheartening to see how dry they were and hwo quickly the gummi disappeared.

is it possible to overdo this? i would hate to over-condition and have them get too soft. I remember my dad doing this to his softball glove when I was a kid...he oiled it so much it became too soft and too bendable.