Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995i540 View Post
Guess what happens to humid air as your engine heats it up ever more? Guess what contributes to heat soak?

Dude, just stop it I'm embarrassed for you and your concepts of auto performance.
You appear to have a reading and comprehension problem. Unless your engine has a compressor on it, the engine does NOT heat up the incoming air. Your premis is flawed.

Typically heat soak in a dyno situation has more to do with stagnant air around the engine itself. High power runs heat the oil and coolant where airflow from the car moving would carry excess heat away. This raises combustion chamber temps ultimately requiring timing to be dialed back when pre-ignition sets in, causing the power losses you describe. Doesn't have a darn thing to with ambient air temps of the intake air.

All day long "dude". You have been incorrect all along, and called on it by more than myself. Maybe time for a quick look in the mirror?

Last edited by snowsled7; 03-23-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 540i
I don't want to pick any sides but can we not degrade eachother and instead put our minds together on the topic. Please.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 02/1994 530i 8cylinder
Well, back on topic, assuming you've changed all fluids and have done all the maintenance, I would do a jim conforti ecu chip, or- if its available, a Miller MAF and ecu chip. Thereafter you're looking at an engine rebuild or tacking stuff on that will break.

You mentioned only power and not performance, so I'll stop there. Going from point A to point B quickly isn't about tire squeal, but the lack of it.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoreauHD View Post
Well, back on topic, assuming you've changed all fluids and have done all the maintenance, I would do a jim conforti ecu chip, or- if its available, a Miller MAF and ecu chip. Thereafter you're looking at an engine rebuild or tacking stuff on that will break.

You mentioned only power and not performance, so I'll stop there. Going from point A to point B quickly isn't about tire squeal, but the lack of it.
+1 on the conforti chip ...

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM

Well I have the nikasil block if that's how you spell it. Car generally idles fine and runs good for a 17 year old car. I'll check out that chip. Tell me what you think about the bv auto high performance coils? I might purchase another M60 and build it up a little at a time with the VAC stage three heads and cams and go ahead and the the forged rods and pistons. Idk yet bout that but Deff about the current performance. Thanks for some help.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilson44
I might purchase another M60 and build it up a little at a time with the VAC stage three heads and cams and go ahead and the the forged rods and pistons. Idk yet bout that but Deff about the current performance. Thanks for some help.
I can blow $3000 in a flash just in freshening up the suspension in stock form, yet your looking at getting into the motor?.

Rods & Pistons? Stage XXX heads? There's nothing there, but a waste of money... "Tuners" love this sort of mindset. They're in business to coddle the insecure male with an open wallet. Of course, they'll gladly pad your ego and make it sound like spending money on your purchase is the best thing since reaching home base.

If you've got $300 absolutely burning a hole in pocket. Buy a few hours of track time...see what your car can really do in its current state of repair.

P.S. - I've worked with VAC before. They sold me a Victor Reinz HG for twice what I could have got it from Pelican, and also shipped me an incomplete set of exhaust manifold studs (shorted me three) which spiked my blood pressure pretty good during my last rebuild.. caveat emptor
Old 03-25-2012, 01:55 PM

So the stage 3 heads and cams won't do anything? They have is quoted at 122-155 HP/L. Why is it a waste? I'm just inquiring I want power haha

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
Old 03-25-2012, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Three questions to ask when engine work is involved:

1. Where are the gains?

2. Who's doing the install?

3. Do I have the resources?

Piston and rods don't add power. The stock BMW internals are some of the finest around. Cams can help so long as they develop torque where you'll actually use it. Too often, "performance" cams sacrifice too much street-ability. For example, an extra 20HP at 6500 RPM is useless on the street, especially when it gives up 10HP at 2000 RPM in exchange. Dyno charts have to be studied carefully. Most importantly, you have to know how to interpret and apply that information to your application.

As far as new cylinder heads...they're expensive chunks of metal until they're actually installed and working correctly.

Go to a swap meet sometime. Take note of all the expensive bits going for peanuts. All the stuff people bought following a pipe dream they couldn't follow through with because of poor financial planning and/or execution of the details. Let it stew for a while. It's nice to dream, but making things "happen" takes money and time.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 AM
The Ornery Old Man

If you want a faster car, BUY ONE. You are talking about spending thousands of dollars on a car barely worth that much, and still depreciating. This notion that some of you guys think you can out engineer the people who designed the car crack me up. It is highly unlikely you can make the car better than they did.

I think the chip is probably worthwhile. I think exhaust noise is good, beyond that just maintenance. You could go for a manual trans swap....that might actually ad some value to your car, and it would definately perform better.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 AM

Yeah I know. I just love this car. I love the way it sounds and the way it pulls. I want a Mustang 5.0 but not only can i not afford to pay cash for it right now, its exclusivity is nonexistant. This car has been EXTREMELY reliable. I love to drive it. Thats pretty much where I am at on it. Even if i just do some minor things. I was just thinking about buying a M60 so i can just buy parts and tear it down as I have time.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Founder @ Maintenr

Mein Auto: 1995 540I/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
Three questions to ask when engine work is involved:

1. Where are the gains?

2. Who's doing the install?

3. Do I have the resources?

Piston and rods don't add power. The stock BMW internals are some of the finest around. Cams can help so long as they develop torque where you'll actually use it. Too often, "performance" cams sacrifice too much street-ability. For example, an extra 20HP at 6500 RPM is useless on the street, especially when it gives up 10HP at 2000 RPM in exchange. Dyno charts have to be studied carefully. Most importantly, you have to know how to interpret and apply that information to your application.

As far as new cylinder heads...they're expensive chunks of metal until they're actually installed and working correctly.

Go to a swap meet sometime. Take note of all the expensive bits going for peanuts. All the stuff people bought following a pipe dream they couldn't follow through with because of poor financial planning and/or execution of the details. Let it stew for a while. It's nice to dream, but making things "happen" takes money and time.
Same could be said about a lot of things, it's much cheaper and makes more sense to build a motor or get super charger system on $5,000 car then to sign a $1500/month 48 month lease on a new car that would be making half the power and be half the fun until you have to return it.

Matter of fact the guy with a swapped E30 probably spend less money than a guy driving a boring 2011 honda accord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsled7 View Post
If you want a faster car, BUY ONE. You are talking about spending thousands of dollars on a car barely worth that much, and still depreciating. This notion that some of you guys think you can out engineer the people who designed the car crack me up. It is highly unlikely you can make the car better than they did.

I think the chip is probably worthwhile. I think exhaust noise is good, beyond that just maintenance. You could go for a manual trans swap....that might actually ad some value to your car, and it would definately perform better.
Because we all know spending money on any car that is not 2012 is a waste of money. You should share your logic at any BMW meet, those guys with swapped E30 M3's will realize that they made a horrible mistake.

And yes, people out engineer stock market specifications all the time for better performance and durability. Where have you been?

Heard of urethane bushings? Lightweight fly wheels? Performance tires? Exhausts? Same computer chip you bring up? Intakes? Short shifters? Sway bars? Cams? Fuel pumps? Etc. etc.

This forum is for auto enthusiasts, I understand you might not really be one but save your 2 cents as time and time again you keep going into subjects that you obviously lack understanding of.

///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
Piston and rods don't add power. The stock BMW internals are some of the finest around.
this is truth. M60s have fporged internals from the factory. Thats why people boost them.

Also agree with 1995i540, built cars are more fun that new cars.

I bought an 03 Z and nitrous'd it. total of $13,500 and i'll smoke M3s down a strip.

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM

So who still sells the Supercharger kits for the E34 540i?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=BmW+m60+supercharger#

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Old 03-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Founder @ Maintenr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
I bought an 03 Z and nitrous'd it. total of $13,500 and i'll smoke M3s down a strip.
Pics

Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM
The Ornery Old Man

Quote:
Because we all know spending money on any car that is not 2012 is a waste of money.
How so? I think the bad money is on the highly depreciating asset. Please share your wisdom.

Quote:
You should share your logic at any BMW meet, those guys with swapped E30 M3's will realize that they made a horrible mistake.
I think swapping the twin cam four out of the M3 would be a horrible mistake. So we have a difference of opinion, you can comprehend that without being insulting I assume

Quote:
And yes, people out engineer stock market specifications all the time for better performance and durability. Where have you been?

Heard of urethane bushings? Lightweight fly wheels? Performance tires? Exhausts? Same computer chip you bring up? Intakes? Short shifters? Sway bars? Cams? Fuel pumps? Etc. etc.
Urethane bushings... almost universally hated from my experience, squeaky and no performance advantage.

Lightweight flywheels... you understand these come with compromises right? It isn't all benefit, and not necessarily an improvement depending on your needs (like a daily driver in traffic).

Tires? Really?

Exhausts are almost always limited to sound improvements on high end cars.

The chip is another compromise, is 20 hp worth having to run premium fuel? My car runs hapily on regular right now.

Intakes, ohh I hope you mean your CAI, what a joke. Short shifters? Really?Cams only move the power band, not always wise, Fuel pumps? What advantage is a "better" fuel pump?

ETC ETC is right. I say you and I start a new thread so I can attempt to re-educate you in your areas of ignorance.

Quote:
This forum is for auto enthusiasts, I understand you might not really be one but save your 2 cents as time and time again you keep going into subjects that you obviously lack understanding of.
OK Mr. "enthusiast", list off the cars you have owned, and the mods done. We better start elsewhere though because my list is going to take me a couple hours and some bandwidth. Call me out joker, you are in way over your head.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Founder @ Maintenr

Quote:
How so? I think the bad money is on the highly depreciating asset. Please share your wisdom.

I think swapping the twin cam four out of the M3 would be a horrible mistake. So we have a difference of opinion, you can comprehend that without being insulting I assume

Urethane bushings... almost universally hated from my experience, squeaky and no performance advantage.

Lightweight flywheels... you understand these come with compromises right? It isn't all benefit, and not necessarily an improvement depending on your needs (like a daily driver in traffic).

Tires? Really?

Exhausts are almost always limited to sound improvements on high end cars.

The chip is another compromise, is 20 hp worth having to run premium fuel? My car runs hapily on regular right now.

Intakes, ohh I hope you mean your CAI, what a joke. Short shifters? Really?Cams only move the power band, not always wise, Fuel pumps? What advantage is a "better" fuel pump?

ETC ETC is right. I say you and I start a new thread so I can attempt to re-educate you in your areas of ignorance.

OK Mr. "enthusiast", list off the cars you have owned, and the mods done. We better start elsewhere though because my list is going to take me a couple hours and some bandwidth. Call me out joker, you are in way over your head.

Any car you buy is a depreciating asset. Why do you care what people spend their money on anyways? Did you give it out or something?

Urethane bushings can be used for mounts and guibo... and I have them pressed into control arms without any issues? Lol at you trying to pick apart things with really weak arguments.

You keep showing off and off again that you have no clue about the subject of modifications. Yet you feel a need to comment on it.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Russell

Mein Auto: 1995 525iA
Extreme performace/appearance modifications are not my thing as most leave the vehicle less usable as a daily driver. Even so I hope that most people know you never really get your money back or really make it sell better. The fun ot the changes/upgrades are really the journey of doing the changes. I hesitate to call them upgrades. When complete many of us want to move on to another project or car. Just my two cents

1995 525i auto, 1/95 build, EAT chip, abt 234K miles, , HID, Lumbar, Oxford Green/Parchment, rebuilt trany @ 208K
Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
You appear to have a reading and comprehension problem. Unless your engine has a compressor on it, the engine does NOT heat up the incoming air. Your premis is flawed.
Thats actually wrong in some cases. both the M50 and M20 engines do actually heat the air as it comes into the engine. trace your coolant lines and you might be surprised where you find them leading to.

Quote:

These cars are at the bottom of thier cycle in NZ, im not sure about the states, but i wont loose any more money by having it sit there. the E30 market is in its early stages of swinging the opposite way already for clean ones too.
Yes we cant out-engineer a car designed to whisk coroporates from one place to another in style. But now that these cars have fallen into our hands, we want something that these cars realistically werent designed to give when they were made. Give me a brand new 5 and I cant make it better. but give it to me in 15 years time and I will. its a little thing the world likes to call research and development. BMW could never get millions and millions of different driving situations and lifespans and driver characteristics these days, let alone in the late 80s when the E34 was designed

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014

Last edited by _Ethrty-Andy_; 03-28-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
rook piece

Mein Auto: 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
this is truth. M60s have fporged internals from the factory. Thats why people boost them.
Do the M50's have forged internals? Also would an engine with 100k miles be somewhat reliable still after its turboed? I am only looking to put max 15lbs of boost in it.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Quote:
Originally Posted by 525guy View Post
Do the M50's have forged internals? Also would an engine with 100k miles be somewhat reliable still after its turboed? I am only looking to put max 15lbs of boost in it.
M50 not forged internal
I wouldn't recommend turboing
Even if you did turbo, 15 is a whole **** ton of boost in general.
Think more like 6psi peaking 8psi.

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 PM
rook piece

Mein Auto: 525i
would 6psi still leave it somewhat reliable?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Relative to 15, sure. And 100k motor is still young. I got 250k and running strong. It's days of forced induction flew the coup eons ago. I'd never entertain the thought.

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Quote:

Any car you buy is a depreciating asset. Why do you care what people spend their money on anyways? Did you give it out or something?
Don't care, I just do not like guys like you preaching falsehoods to those tight on money.

Quote:
Urethane bushings can be used for mounts and guibo... and I have them pressed into control arms without any issues? Lol at you trying to pick apart things with really weak arguments.
I have to use weak arguments against the even weaker premis you provide. So you used urethane? Tell us about the documented performance gains... or was this just another case of the package said so?

Quote:
You keep showing off and off again that you have no clue about the subject of modifications. Yet you feel a need to comment on it.
Really, because you say so? Have you been able to substantiate benefits for any of your mods, or are we just supposed to take your word for it?
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540I/6 Sport
Humidity is relative to the temperature of the air. Hot air has the ability to hold more moisture than cold air. The amount of moisture in the air can actually stay the same however the relative humidity will change. For example, lets say it is 85F degrees outside with a Relative humidity of 60%. As the temperature decreases overnight the air's ability to hold moisture decreases as well. In the morning you wake up to dew on your car because the air has squeezed out the moisture as the air not capable of holding the same amount of moisture at a lower temperature.

This is science and applicable to ANY environment.... period. I'm not sure about outer space though.