Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-22-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 323i convertible
Convertible Top Not Working

I have a 1999 323ic with fully automatic convertible top. When I press the switch to lower the top, the only thing that happens is that all the windows go down one inch at a time until they are fully lowered. Nothing happens with the top at all, and I don't hear any motors running during this time. I have tried to reset procedure, but this does nothing. Anything I can do or check before I bring it to someone who can check the computer codes?

Thanks,
Derek
Ads by Google
Old 03-22-2012, 11:52 AM
hookersandblow

Send a message via AIM to Moeman10
Mein Auto: 1992 325is
I have no idea, sorry.

Also, that's why I'll never own an E36 convertible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 PM
1997 328i

Mein Auto: 1992 325i
Did you reengage all the motors? 2 on the back and 1 on top?

1997 Bmw 328i Vert - SOLD 3/25/2012
1992 Bmw 325i - ****ed 4/2/2012

Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 PM

I never dis-engaged them. The top was working fine. I do have an front airbag light on in the dash. Can't remember if the top was working before that light came on. Don't know if that would affect the top function. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
If you've never disengaged the motors then you haven't done the resync procedure. Resync is done with the top fully down and in the storage compartment. See page 19 of the vert troubleshooting guide.
If you had some kind of a power system glitch then it's possible that your airbag light is related to your recent top problems.
Given the amount of work involved in manually opening the fully automatic top, I'd be tempted to fix the airbag issue first since it needs fixing anyway, and then move on to other things with the top if it was still non-functional.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E36%20Convertible%20Adjust.pdf (878.8 KB, 847 views)
Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 AM

DC - thanks. Several months before this problem, I popped the motors and manually put down the top, then sucessfully resynched the top. It was working fine except that it would not quite meet the windshield so that the hooks could grab, unless I pulled it down on the drivers side. Then the hooks would grab, and it would seal and complete the procedure, blinking red light would go off. Everything seemed normal. I probably did this about 20 times until one day, I went to put top down and experienced the situation I described with the windows being funky and no movement on the top. I'll have the shop fix the airbag light issue and see if that solves the problem. I am also wondering if by me having to pull down the top to the windshield if I knocked any of the micro switches out of adjustment. Do you think that is a possible cause for what I'm experiencing? Also, do you have any idea who might know if the way the windows are acting when I try to lower the top is an indicator of a specific problem? As I said, when I try to lower top, the red light blinks, and all the windows go down an inch at a time until they are fully lowered. Very strange. Never had that happen before. Thank you.

Derek
Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Airbag light most likely not related, but as DC said, get it fixed anyway.

It sounds like there's a bad microswitch somewhere. I don't have the time to investigate, but the answer is probably in that pdf DC linked.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 03-24-2012, 08:05 AM

thanks, Petriei
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 AM

DC - just a follow up. My convertible top was not working. All that would happen is my windows would go down 1 inch at a time until they were fully down but nothing would happen with top. I took it too a shop that works on a lot of BMWs. They said the top function shut down to prevent it from burning up. They reset the codes in the module box, and it worked as usual. The problem, though, it that there is a strap that is broken, so it is getting caught. If the motor has to work too hard, it will trip the code in the convertible module box and shut down the auto top function. They quoted me a cost of $150 for the repair kit and up to $300 in labor, depending upon how long it takes to replace. Thanks for your input on this.
Derek
Old 05-07-2012, 04:26 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Thanks for the update with the fix! Too many times we never get what the final fix was. This is one I'll tuck away in the memory bank for future use.......
Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 323i
Convert Top Not Working???

The convertible top suddenly seemed to stop working after returning from the airport. I had just loaded a large suit case into the trunk and the trunk did not completely close but was drivable. The switch to bring down the top appeared to be dead. I read the manual. It said that if the trunk is not closed the top will not come down. After removing the suit case and closing the trunk, the top came down as usual.