Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: car
BMW F10 Vibration Defect

To all,

There is a widespread issue with vibration problems in the BMW 5 series felt in the seats around 70-80 mph zone. People like me have replaced and rebalance tires and rims using hunter road force machine with no resolution! There is another defect that BMW cannot seem to get resolved. It is happening all over the world! It can be dampers, axle, drivetrain, etc you name it!

I sold my 535i xdrive because of this issue that will not go away after being back to dealer 10 or more times!

See for youself on google search:

BMW F10 :
https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...ient=firefox-a

In Spain:
http://translate.google.com/translat...prmd%3Dimvnsfd

In UK:
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=5&t=121222

And many more!

Here are the posts from all over and certain private messages:
Dear baloo588,

You have received a new private message at Bimmerfest - BMW Forums from BMWdream12345, entitled "Re: BMW 535 vibration".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
Hey, Sorry for the delayed response, super busy. I brought my vehicle in and they said I had a slightly bent rim. They replaced it and although its a touch better I still have vibration on the highway/higher speeds. I was looking into what else it could be outside of what you've done and I found that this is the first year for the 8spd auto trans and the 4.4TT V8. Maybe they are working through vibration issues? Bad mounts/dampers? I plan on doing more research to see if anyone else thinks this may be the case. From where the vibration is coming I would say it's possible. Do you think that was your problem?

Mein auto: 2011 528i
View My Garage
vibration
I have a similar vibration in my 528 and can't get it fixed. I've had the tires road force balanced and still I have the issue. What model did you have? Did BMW ever issue a TSB?

Leijona71
Registered

Drives: 528iA

F10, 528, Vibration 80-120 km/h
Hello to All!

I have had one year process with BMW now to locate the problem of vibration in the speed of 80-120 km/h. There has been checked tyres many times, changed, and have been test driving. Nothing helps. And now BMW told me that this typical problem for F10 then and they will do nothing! Anyway I will start to collect people(with same problem) here in Finland if the BMW will finally do anything about the problem. Do you have same kind of problems with F10?

Yours

Miska

09-13-2011, 05:17 PM #16
rexus300
Private First Class

Drives: car

You are not the only one, there are issues of the 535 xdrive with weird vibration felt in the front seats from the rear wheels on highways between similar speeds (70-80 mph) as yours that cannot be resolved with new rims, tires, proper road force balancing. It is a design or manufacturing flaw. You can feel small vibes in the seat back and in the headrest that goes away below 70 and above 80 mph or so.

Chrisr111

Drives: 2011 535

I just picked my 535i last week. I drove to the airport and drove on the highway for the first time on Sunday. I had heavy vibration at 70-80mph. I do not have the sport package, just the standard wheels. Car has 110 miles on it. I was hoping I had a weight missing but this post scares the he'll out of me. Almost bought a e60 M5 and now I am hoping this is something simple to fix.
Chrisr111 is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Expatmarais

Drives: f10 535d MSport

Hi, i'm still reading these posts with interest as my own situation is starting to drive me crazy! Thought it would be helpful to update in case you want to advise your own dealerships to try the following - as it hasn't worked in my case...
My dealer continues to be v supportive in fact even more so since the head of the workshop and a salesman both have the same problem with their vehicles (both 530D with 18'' running continental ssc 3 run flats - as per mine)
There is a great deal of interest and my car is being used as the dummy to find solutions for the now 6 owners of vehicles supplied by the same dealership with same pbm. After logging pbm on PUMA, factory suggested swapping out my M Sport Alloys for a different model of 18'' wheel (it has 10-12 spokes) and equipping with summer Dunlop 245/65 R18 front and back instead of the larger rear vs front configuration I had previously. The summer Dunlops were out of stock and so they had a trial run with Michelins of same size. Although the initial effect felt better they were somewhat alarmed when the vibrations appeared all of a sudden and on inspection of rear nearside tyre is was extremely hot to the touch to the point that discolouring to a blue bruising on tyre wall.

In the meantime the Dunlops still haven't come in and they've had my vehicle for 10 days trying various tests (not sure what to be honest). I am due to move to winter tyres shortly and so they had an idea to equip me already and try another different model of alloy but same size as above. I have Dunlop Winter Sport 3D in above size and driving away from dealership 2 nights ago i was in a different car. Smooth. composed. Not a hint of vibration. A pull to the right has appeared however and this is documented elsewhere on this forum.
Interestingly I stopped for fuel as was completely empty. Filled up 80 litres (80kg) of weight and guess what? Not only has the vibration come back, but it starts at around 60kmph now. By 110 (111 to be exact) it's a shudder and is worse if anything. Seat, headrest, accelerator and steering to answer your q Baloo588.
All reported following day to dealership and helpful for them to know that additional weight in car over rear axle is having an effect. Car goes back in tomorrow for the summer dunlop test and since in the meantime another PUMA log has been made, response from Factory has been to check tension in a number of wheel and suspension components - which they will also perform tomorrow. i will of course keep you updated. I love this car - it's getting so fast now i've got 6K on the clock, but driving me totally mad as Chrisr111 said its like OCD. Anyone got any other suggestions i can ask my dealer to try? I'm aware I must start to sound like a lunatic...
Ads by Google
Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Ginny292
Mein Auto: 535xi 2008
Vibration with the 5 Series

My 535xi 2008 has chronic vibrations at speeds over 60 mph. I have owned it for one year and had it in for service 9 times. They have done all the standard resolutions (replace tires, axis, bushings, balance and alignment) but nothing has made any measurable difference.

The car is not drivable at highway speeds and they cannot/will not repair the car. It is a CPO with and additional "No Cost Maintenance" for 24 months.

Has anybody out there been able to resolve this issue or is it terminal? I can't sell the car knowing that it has these serious defects. I am not even convinced the car is safe to drive.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny292 View Post
My 535xi 2008 has chronic vibrations at speeds over 60 mph. I have owned it for one year and had it in for service 9 times. They have done all the standard resolutions (replace tires, axis, bushings, balance and alignment) but nothing has made any measurable difference.

The car is not drivable at highway speeds and they cannot/will not repair the car. It is a CPO with and additional "No Cost Maintenance" for 24 months.

Has anybody out there been able to resolve this issue or is it terminal? I can't sell the car knowing that it has these serious defects. I am not even convinced the car is safe to drive.

You're in the wrong forum.

More help here. Good luck!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-26-2012, 10:25 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Widespread seems extreme. I don't have it. And all my friends who have F10s don't have it either. The Internet forums tend to draw out the exceptions.

That said, I don't understand why those who have this don't lemon the car.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 04-26-2012, 10:27 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny292 View Post

Did you not test drive the car before buying it? In case of used cars, I test drive thoroughly, especially on highway and under duress (hard braking, full throttle, tire squealing cornering g). Next time...

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
This has been discussed many times before. "Search" is your friend.

BTW, did you obtain the approval from folks who sent you a "Private Message" before publishing it? I know when I PM someone, I truly expect it to remain Private.

When someone posts a link to a public post, anyone reading can verifying that the original post was not edited in any way. But when you purblish a previously "Private" message like this, the reader has no way of knowing whether the PM did in fact happen, and/or if you edited it to make it better suit your needs. Not very helpful IMHO.

Like I said, there are plenty of PUBLIC posts on here about vibration issues, and the resolution of same. Although I have not had a similar problem, my recollection is that the vibration was usually traced to tires with manufacturing defects which would not balance, no matter how hard the tech tried. But a different set of tires usually resolved the problem.

Too bad you sold your 535 because of this. Not sure where you live (from your post I am guessing it is not the USA) but it almost certainly would have been cheaper to replace the tires, even if you could not get the dealer to cover the replacement under warranty.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport
Old 04-26-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
This has been discussed many times before. "Search" is your friend.

BTW, did you obtain the approval from folks who sent you a "Private Message" before publishing it? I know when I PM someone, I truly expect it to remain Private.

When someone posts a link to a public post, anyone reading can verifying that the original post was not edited in any way. But when you purblish a previously "Private" message like this, the reader has no way of knowing whether the PM did in fact happen, and/or if you edited it to make it better suit your needs. Not very helpful IMHO.

Like I said, there are plenty of PUBLIC posts on here about vibration issues, and the resolution of same. Although I have not had a similar problem, my recollection is that the vibration was usually traced to tires with manufacturing defects which would not balance, no matter how hard the tech tried. But a different set of tires usually resolved the problem.

Too bad you sold your 535 because of this. Not sure where you live (from your post I am guessing it is not the USA) but it almost certainly would have been cheaper to replace the tires, even if you could not get the dealer to cover the replacement under warranty.

I got approvals as these people did have to have their car bought back. I am from Michigan by the way. My 5 was replaced with 4 types of tires (Continental DWS, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, and Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires by my BMW dealer using road force. The rims were replaced too and vibration improved but never gone completely and the dealer admitted that they could buy back car and I can move on and get another 5 or something else with the money I was given for my BMW. I am an expert in cars and I do work on them doing my off time from work. I have experience in the automotive industry also. My BMW was bought back by BMW and I moved on to get the new 2013 Lexus GS F-Sport which I am very happy with no vibration. I do have a 2008 BMW 335xi coupe so I know how BMW are suppose to drive and feel. In europe most people have not gotten this issue resolved without replacement of the rear suspension bushing or drivetrain planetary gear.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Good to hear you are an expert in cars. I was pretty certain you were not an English teacher.

If you have sold your 535 and moved on, what was the point of this post? Sticking your finger in BMW's eye on your way out the door? What you see as a wide spread problem isn't seen as a big deal here. Maybe we are all too wrapped up in the pull-to-the-right, grinding noise, hesitation, LS-2, steering feel, battery and other well publicized issues that we don't notice your pervasive and pernicious vibration.

Good luck with your Toyota.

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport
Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Good to hear you are an expert in cars. I was pretty certain you were not an English teacher.

If you have sold your 535 and moved on, what was the point of this post? Sticking your finger in BMW's eye on your way out the door? What you see as a wide spread problem isn't seen as a big deal here. Maybe we are all too wrapped up in the pull-to-the-right, grinding noise, hesitation, LS-2, steering feel, battery and other well publicized issues that we don't notice your pervasive and pernicious vibration.

Good luck with your Toyota.
Thanks. I careless about the statement that it is a Toyota. I posted this before it was bought out by BMW so that people can be aware of it. Like you said "search" is your friend. The purpose of these post is not always to say good things about the car you own but complaints so please do not get riled up on this. I am on bimmerfest for my 3 so you will see me around.
I'm back to enjoying my Lexus. Number 1 in the comparo vs BMW in Motortrend.

Last edited by baloo588; 04-26-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Amazing that BMWNA lemoned your car without first making you sign a non-disclosure agreement. Pretty sure this is the first time that's happened. Lucky you.

So why are you still trolling on BMW boards?

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport
Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Amazing that BMWNA lemoned your car without first making you sign a non-disclosure agreement. Pretty sure this is the first time that's happened. Lucky you.

So why are you still trolling on BMW boards?
I have a 2008 BMW 335xi and a 2010 BMW x5 so I am still in the BMW family. I enjoy these BMWs. I want people to enjoy their BMW but also be aware of the issues involved so they can make decisions. I am here to help not to bash. BTW I like those rims on your convertible. I was thinking of putting them on my 3 series coupe this summer.

See you around!

Last edited by baloo588; 04-26-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
I had the same problem, but only when I was trying to stop from 60-90 mph. I went to the dealer and they fixed it. The problem was in front brakes.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
How bad is this problem? Slightly noticeable? Or very?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Have not noticed any vibration issues.

Are we entering into mass hysteria like what happened with the HPFP's?

"A wide spread vibration issue?" Seriously?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
New Car with Vibration

Anyone resolve their vibration issue??? I just bought a 528i 2 weeks ago and immediately realized something was wrong. It vibrates down the freeway at higher speeds. You can feel it in the steering wheel, seat, everywhere. They put new tires on it and now it is a little better but more of a floating vibration with softer tires. Anyone ever resolve this issue??? Very frustrating!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3, 2013 M5
I had the dreaded vibration issue on my brand new 550i also, and guess what, it was my rear tires. BMW ended up replacing both my rear tires, now I am vibration free.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Tires

I spent some more time at the dealer over the weekend and actually drove another 528i that had the same vibration. I do believe changing the tires helps but i still think there is something else going on as well. They are going to have someone look at it who troubleshoots problems like this. Other than the vibration I love my new car!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Where is the love

This thread got really sharp for no reason. The OP was simply trying to post some valuable information for others, so when they do search, they can easily find an account of repeatable issue. No need for the "jabs" (Ex. Your not an English teacher or Its a Toyota). I think were allowed to talk about issues with our cars?

But anyways, to Jopheim if you can replicate the problem with another 528i from another dealer lot, then i think its something the car was designed to exhibit, but hopefully not and if you feel its not up to your liking you have the full right to address the issue with the dealership.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 PM

I thought my vibrations were gone but they were still there around 65-70 MPH. Been busy so I couldn't take it back right away. Finally decided to take my car back in last week. They claimed I had bent rims I went ahead and paid to get them fixed and also paid for an alignment, now it is worst than ever. I will be bringing it in for the 4th time now.

I may ask them to start a buyback process, if not then I may start a lemon process.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM
BMW's Since 1989

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
This thread got really sharp for no reason. . .
I think the catalysts for "sharp" replies are generalizations like "widespread," etc. I don't have the problem, and clearly many others don't either. A more conservative approach such as "I have this problem, do you, and what did you do about it?" always seems to work better.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li & 650i
This is interesting
Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
I dont have any problems... no pulling to one side or the other... no vibrations... no mechanical issues. Remember, people who are happy rarely post. People who are bitter post like a mad man.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdude View Post
I dont have any problems... no pulling to one side or the other... no vibrations... no mechanical issues. Remember, people who are happy rarely post. People who are bitter post like a mad man.
You are correct, I don't believe that this is a widespread issue. I love this car and most likely will buy another or an M5. I just want my problem fixed or have BMW replace it if they can't fix it.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I also have the vibration issue and have taken it to the dealer numerous times just to hear them say they can't find anything wrong with the car.... I love this car until I drive it. I have replace two tires and had it forced balanced twice out of my own pocket and still no improvement. They have a problem with this that they won't admit just like the headlights staying on. In the 16 months I have had the car. my maintenance free car has cost me $1,100 and still rides like a Toyota. This is my first BMW and maybe my expectations were too high.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts0807 View Post
I also have the vibration issue and have taken it to the dealer numerous times just to hear them say they can't find anything wrong with the car.... I love this car until I drive it. I have replace two tires and had it forced balanced twice out of my own pocket and still no improvement. They have a problem with this that they won't admit just like the headlights staying on. In the 16 months I have had the car. my maintenance free car has cost me $1,100 and still rides like a Toyota. This is my first BMW and maybe my expectations were too high.
I have taken my car to only one service department since it was new. First three times they did find the vibration and tried to fix it. 4th time they just completely denied that it's even there, claiming that it's normal road feel or they didn't feel anything wrong.

Called bmwna to open up a case regarding this issue, the nice lady over the phone stated that dealer has to say that the problem still exists for them to continue with the claim. So yesterday I took it to another service department and asked for the shop Foreman to ride with me.

Long story short he did admit that there is a vibration. I had him open a service ticket and made sure he stated that he felt the vibration. Let's see what bmwna says now.