Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Vibration when braking issue, Need Help!

Ok, so first Good morning and thanks ahead for your attention and assistance.

Hereís the situation, the pass week or two my 11 550i has been experience vibrations when I am braking. So I figured it must be time for front brake and rotor replacement, even though the vehicle status said I had another 20k before needing to replace. Yesterday I took the passage side tire off in plans to begin inspect, removal and installation. Looked and the pads and rotors look like they still have plenty of life. A little additional background about a month ago, I had some suspension work done, got the alignment done and then had to take it back for some suspension rework. But the local indy shop didnít redo the alignment. So I am wondering if that could be the cause of the recent vibration issues and wanted to get you alls thoughts.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and have a AWESOME day!
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2016, 05:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Warped rotor

You have a warped brake rotor or rotors. You have to check the run out on them. If you are under warranty they will replace them. BMW is getting so cheap now they often don't replace rotors when they replace pads. They used to always replace both.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:53 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
You have a warped brake rotor or rotors. You have to check the run out on them. If you are under warranty they will replace them. BMW is getting so cheap now they often don't replace rotors when they replace pads. They used to always replace both.
If the rotors are within spec whe pads are replaced, why should they be replaced? Not sure that is "cheapness". Sounds more like "logic".

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 08-24-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Mr. Onyx

Mein Auto: 2012 5351 Jet Black
Re:jay_e_jay Comment. I had the same thing happen over a month ago and with a couple trips to the dealer they found nothing wrong. (Wasn't looking hard enough I suppose.) The third time I wasn't taking nothing found wrong for an answer and put the tech in the car with me and drove him until it appeared. He took the car in after feeling and hearing the noise and found out there was a couple loose suspension nuts and a ball joint that needed seating. This was a by product of me having an alignment either. The point is, it doesn't have to be a warped rotor when this happens, oh, and the strange thing was there were never any rolling vibration.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Thanks guys. I am going to take the car back to the shop and make someone ride with me. I know how to get it to happen pretty consistently. If the rotors in up being warped, I hope the shop will at least resurface them instead of trying to sell two new ones. We will see....
Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 228i 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_e_jay View Post
Thanks guys. I am going to take the car back to the shop and make someone ride with me. I know how to get it to happen pretty consistently. If the rotors in up being warped, I hope the shop will at least resurface them instead of trying to sell two new ones. We will see....
Not much extra metal on those rotors to remove runout. You're better off replacing them if they are no longer true.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i 6MT M-Sport
I have an issue at speeds over 40. The first decent brake (getting off the freeway) if I lightly brake, I'll notice some vibration, but if I apply more pressure, the shaking stops and it's perfectly smooth braking, then I can lighten up. It's like the brakes need to "bite" before they are smooth.

I also have ~20k before a front brake service, but am only working on a CPO warranty. If the brakes get any worse, it might be time to book some time at pit row and do my first self-service. Brakes, Oil / filter, air cleaner, etc.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:24 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod

OK kajer, could be any number of things from rotor buildup to a bad bushing. If you'd like to diagnose the rotors, remove tire[s], emory cloth the swept area, retorque lug bolts, go for a ride. Pulsation gone? Uneven pad buildup on rotor[s]. No? It's not the rotors.

Wait...do they pulse when cold?

If you eliminate the rotors it's time for an expert. Suspension/tires & calipers need an integrity check. Shocks definitely part o'that.

Name:  Mechanic 01 [20].jpg
Views: 72
Size:  9.8 KB

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 08-24-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i 6MT M-Sport
It mainly happens at the first brake over 40mph after the brakes have been cooled enough. It feels like the pads need to seat. Once that's done, I have no issues with the brakes until they cool off again.

I should mention that the wobble happens with VERY light braking effort. Once the brakes grab, and the vibration stops, I can brake all day long and it's very smooth.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search