Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi
Car stalling, idling rough, and popping up with Drivetrain/Transmission Errors?

I'm wondering if anyone else has similar problems to my 2012 535xi? My car is based in Ottawa, Canada and throughout this past winter, we began to notice issues.

1st issue:
The car would start fine with a warning indicating battery discharged. Fine. But it still ran, so when it came to shift to D, nothing would happen. Car continues to idle and won't move. Gear knob shows D until maybe 20 secs later, it'll go back to P. Kept shifting to D repeatedly, nothing. Start the car again and again, nothing. This came up a few times and we got the car towed away for the dealer to investigate. We thought the issue was the low battery so we charged it, but still came about. Then they blamed it on we didn't drive the car long enough. I'm like...really? I bet the thousands of soccer/house wives moms just drive their BMWs to their groceries and back home with no issues.

2nd issue:
One cold morning last month, I tried to start the car and it kept idling super rough. I saw the tach just fluctuate around 1K RPM and dip really low. Eventually, the car just stalled. Then the Transmission Malfunction error message popped up and disappeared. I started it up again and the same thing with the rough idling and stalling but no more transmission malfunction error, instead the auto start/stop feature was disabled. I had to get the car out as there were construction folks who wanted to get their truck on the driveway (EMBARRASSING) so I revved the engine upon start for a bit and then it went away. Brought the car in and all they did was clear the fault, said it was a result of a misfire, and upgraded the SW. And they also mentioned we didn't drive the car enough.

3rd issue:
Yesterday, dad tries to start the car and same rough idle and stalling. This time Drivetrain Malfunction error message pops up but upon subsequent restarts, it goes away. Rough idling and stalling still occur though unless you rev the engine. Brought it in and all they did was clear the fault, indicated it was a result of a misfire, and said we didn't drive the car long distances enough.

I'm getting the feeling they're just gonna harp on us about that we don't drive the car long enough, but I'm thinking... seriously? My C300 doesn't have this issue and we don't drive it far either. For those who know Ottawa, it takes 15min to get to most places in this city. How far does BMW recommend drivers to drive their car for daily?! And this misfire, this got to mean something is wrong, no? I hear it potentially may be a result of bad fuel injectors?
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2014, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M sport
same issue, my car is in the shop now for the 3rd time. I know it is the injectors. I replaced the battery, crank-case vent valve hoses, still same problem. There is a BMW bulletin about when replacing the injectors on the F10 replace with #11. The car comes with #8.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M sport
but no recall!
Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi
Agreed! I hope when winter hits, it doesn't make it worse with the stalling.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Not driving the car enough should not cause rough idle, transmission malfunction warning, drivetrain malfunction or unable to put the car in drive. Sounds like you have bad injectors and the dealer or BMW is trying to side step the problem. I would call up BMW NA and file a complaint, they will call the dealer and find out what is going on and put them on alert. If you don't drive the car enough and have a low battery, the car should not start at all.