Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-22-2015, 10:14 AM
2015 528i

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 528i
Sports, Comfort and Eco Pro for 528i

Are you using much of Sports or Eco Pro? I use a little bit of Eco Pro, whenever I remember and in a mellow mood. Not sure how much gas it really saves me though. I hardly use Sports mode at all, only when requested by my 14-yr old son.
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
I'm not kidding about this...the only time I use Eco Pro is when I want to punish myself for driving like a jerk and I force myself use it for XX amount of miles. Sometimes I'll use Sport (I don't have sport +), but normally I just leave it in Comfort so it won't rev so high on the highway.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i Xdrive
it depends on how you drive and what you want to do with it. if you want to drive fast or race with somebody just use sport mode, if you want to be normal just use comfort. In my opinion, I usually drive with comfort mode in the city (rarely use eco pro). on the highway, when I use cruise control, I just put eco-pro. but If I do not use cruise control, I use comfort mode. lastly, for the sport mode, there is gonna be the time when you feel you want to race. just have fun with it, choose the mode whatever you want as long as you are fun with it. If I am crazy, I use sport all day both in city and highway! LOL
Old 01-22-2015, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i XDrive
I use it like one other person describes above...to 'tame' myself or not go crazy when there are others riding with me...not that the 528 is a beast like the 550 or anything..but still. Also, lets assume that what the car tells you in eco pro mode about miles saved is infact true, then for every 30 FREEWAY miles or so, it says I saved 5 miles of range...that being said and given that I get 25MPG from the car..it will take me five such trips to save one gallon..or $1.99 (Gas price in my area as of Jan 2015)..given I make this trip 8 times a month...I save 40 miles a month theoretically...of 480 miles per year...a full tank fill up costs me about 60-70 bucks and gives me 400 miles...so say I will save $80 in one year driving in eco pro mode selectively on my highway trips. I dont think eco pro is worth it other than to tame/punish yourself..

2013 528i XDrive |Deep Sea Blue | LA Wheel Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Package| Technology Package| Xenon Adaptive HL | Head Up Display | Nano ceramic tints
Old 01-22-2015, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headup View Post
I use it like one other person describes above...to 'tame' myself or not go crazy when there are others riding with me...not that the 528 is a beast like the 550 or anything..but still. Also, lets assume that what the car tells you in eco pro mode about miles saved is infact true, then for every 30 FREEWAY miles or so, it says I saved 5 miles of range...that being said and given that I get 25MPG from the car..it will take me five such trips to save one gallon..or $1.99 (Gas price in my area as of Jan 2015)..given I make this trip 8 times a month...I save 40 miles a month theoretically...of 480 miles per year...a full tank fill up costs me about 60-70 bucks and gives me 400 miles...so say I will save $80 in one year driving in eco pro mode selectively on my highway trips. I dont think eco pro is worth it other than to tame/punish yourself..
exactly! just have fun with your car. it is BMW, the ultimate driving machine. it doesn't matter if it is 528, 535, 660, make yourself comfortable with the car
Old 01-22-2015, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Yeah I've found Eco pro not worth using. I use sport mode for trips of less than maybe 100 miles and comfort mode for both stop and go and long hauls.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:48 PM
2015 528i

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 528i
Sports seems harsh on the engine, OK to use often?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by THDFW528 View Post
Sports seems harsh on the engine, OK to use often?
How so? Because the revs are a bit higher? I wouldn't worry about it...
Old 01-23-2015, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I'm not kidding about this...the only time I use Eco Pro is when I want to punish myself for driving like a jerk and I force myself use it for XX amount of miles. Sometimes I'll use Sport (I don't have sport +), but normally I just leave it in Comfort so it won't rev so high on the highway.
@punishing , so true !!