Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:41 AM
Mein Auto: f11 m550d
Lowering springs f11 m550d with adaptive drive

Hi everyone,

I wanted your input on this question :

i want to lower a bit my f11 m550d with adaptive drive
There are a few options on the market :

RD Sports
Eibach ...

From what i could gather and exchange with manufacturers, only RD Sports is making a dedicated progressively wound springs for adaptive drive suspensions
All the others are providing linear wound springs and do not make

I guess that the original springs are linear ones from pictures i saw
Furthermore, from my understanding, progressively wound springs advantages are the same as the adaptive drive meaning that installing those would be doing twice the job.

Progressively wound springs as well as adaptive drive suspension are trying to control body roll either by stiffer spring rate at one given compression or by increasing the anti roll bar stiffness.

Price is a concern as RD Springs are 7.5 more expensive than the other solutions

I read a lot about people happy with their lowering spring whatever the brand and i know what i would choose if i go for linear springs.

My question is do you think that progressively wound springs are "better" than linear and not redundant with adaptive drive ? and in what way ?
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Mein Auto: 740
Active Shocks

I would like to know as well? I got a 550i with active suspension. I have read the lower you go, the more abuse it is on the active shocks.

Last edited by resistro; Yesterday at 10:15 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

f10 5 series, f11, lowering springs, m550d xdrive, suspension

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search