Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-19-2014, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 520d F10
Should get some results next week. Dealer has a donor car and will swap bits until finding offending part.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM

Prop replaced still shaking....vibration damper next on the agenda...
Old 01-21-2014, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgyporgy View Post
Crazy '11 535ix 31K, not even a hint of vibration at any speed.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaBMW View Post
Crazy '11 535ix 31K, not even a hint of vibration at any speed.
What about idling, do you get vibration when temp is below 50? I mean idling with shift in D?

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade
Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 5301
Quote:
At least they taking it serious... wow, what more can be on the list to be replaced?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: X5, M6 Vert
Thumbs down

exact same issue on my 2011 535xi non-sport, I mentioned it once to service department and they adjusted idle rpm - and of cause no change. I had this issue since day one, recently I replaced all 4 tires and did full balancing with no issues on any of my wheels - same thing, vibration 50-90mph range with front seat shaking like crazy, I hate driving this car >45mph.

Now I will be looking for a new replacement car in 2 months and not even sure if I can even think on getting another 5series. I was hopping it would be fixed by now, its >3 years since initial introduction of F10 and I'm still reading those reports again and again in 2014 ??

I just bought my BMW#11 F15 - worse selling experience ever( 97% issue with a dealer itself), but I can report that my new F15 has so many small parts loose inside my car.

At this point I'm not even sure what to do, should I look into MB or Audi and believe me I hate to do that...
I like BMW idrive but again BMW latest 4.3 version broke connection with my iphones to the point I can only use phone function.

I can not get 3 series since its too small for a family and is not very stable on a long hwy trips (as any smaller car), 6 series also too small, 7series too big - 5 or X5 looks like a good size for me , but I cant afford driving another 535 with the same vibration issues.... my be 2nd x5 in a family but I would prefer one sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgp View Post
I thought it's just me, so I guess many F10 owner has this issue...

I was wondering how a F10 ride quality can be this bad and still having to pay a premium to get the "BMW" brand name.

yes, on the highway, I can tell the passenger side of the headrest vibrating like crazy.....actually, the whole seat....

Then I checked my own headrest and it's the same.....and it continue to hit my head as it vibrates.

recently, at a cold day, when I start my car and backup from a parking space, it will make a very strange sound and when you turn left and right, the sound level increased.

I guess I have to pay a visit to my SA.....

I also has many issue on F10, and some of the issues have been ignored by me. selling it is in my to do list.

I broke my own rule on not buying the first year released car and should have hold up till 2013 to buy the 2014 version where most of the issues should be fixed.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post
exact same issue on my 2011 535xi non-sport, I mentioned it once to service department and they adjusted idle rpm - and of cause no change. I had this issue since day one, recently I replaced all 4 tires and did full balancing with no issues on any of my wheels - same thing, vibration 50-90mph range with front seat shaking like crazy, I hate driving this car >45mph.

Now I will be looking for a new replacement car in 2 months and not even sure if I can even think on getting another 5series. I was hopping it would be fixed by now, its >3 years since initial introduction of F10 and I'm still reading those reports again and again in 2014 ??

I just bought my BMW#11 F15 - worse selling experience ever( 97% issue with a dealer itself), but I can report that my new F15 has so many small parts loose inside my car.

At this point I'm not even sure what to do, should I look into MB or Audi and believe me I hate to do that...
I like BMW idrive but again BMW latest 4.3 version broke connection with my iphones to the point I can only use phone function.

I can not get 3 series since its too small for a family and is not very stable on a long hwy trips (as any smaller car), 6 series also too small, 7series too big - 5 or X5 looks like a good size for me , but I cant afford driving another 535 with the same vibration issues.... my be 2nd x5 in a family but I would prefer one sedan.
I tried the Audi A7 and there is not hint of a vibration, smooth like a baby. Also the E Class will defiantly be very smooth on idle and underway.

For my 535, its smooth like a baby when underway no matter what my speed is however I have nasty idle vibration that can be felt on the steering wheel and drivers seat.. its little vibration but really annoying especially in the winter as it increases a bit and become intrusive.

Raising the idle won't help as when I step on the pedal the vibration goes away one the RPM reaches 900-950 anything below that will make it worse (Like raising it from 650 to 750 or 800).

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade

Last edited by ahmadddd; 01-22-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Replaced vibration dampers, still vibrating. Now the idiots are talking about front wheel bearings !
Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive
Georgyporgy - I really appreciate your updates on the vibration issue with your car. I have the same issue, and I just gave up. My next maintenance service in March, I will bring this issue up again with my SA. Although, its nice to see they are really trying to get to the bottom of the vibration issue. I hope they find a fix for you soon.
2013 535i xDrive Dark Graphite Metallic ll, Cinnamon Brown w/Dark Wood Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg. (Ordered 01/18/2013, Build Date, 02/07/2013, Delivery, 03/07/2013)
Old 01-24-2014, 10:00 AM
It's good to be bad

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Msport
Quote:
Replaced vibration dampers, still vibrating. Now the idiots are talking about front wheel bearings !
This is getting good. I can't believe they're offering to change all those parts. Usually they just say they can't duplicate! Keep us posted

2015 X5D M Sport - Delivered
2014 535i M Sport - Delivered
2012 X5 Msport - Retired
2012 X5 Msport - deceased
2008 335i Dinan stage2, Forged 360 wheels- Retired
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadddd View Post
I tried the Audi A7 and there is not hint of a vibration, smooth like a baby. Also the E Class will defiantly be very smooth on idle and underway.

For my 535, its smooth like a baby when underway no matter what my speed is however I have nasty idle vibration that can be felt on the steering wheel and drivers seat.. its little vibration but really annoying especially in the winter as it increases a bit and become intrusive.

Raising the idle won't help as when I step on the pedal the vibration goes away one the RPM reaches 900-950 anything below that will make it worse (Like raising it from 650 to 750 or 800).
Now that you guys bring this up, I always thought my N55 335 idled a lot rougher than my old e46 which was smooth as silk. Figured it was due to Direct Injection.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi M-sport, Z4 3.5i
Have had the same issues since day one: mine is x-drive V8. It always seemed like a driveshaft resonance issue to me. Dealer just ignored it. It's still a great car though. Love how it handles in the snow.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i
Ok here it is. My dealer replaced all four continental tires with Goodyears They said the conty's would road force balance between 25-30 this is way too high. the loaner they gave me had continentals on it as well. The loaner was 5x worse then my car I could not believe the shake this car had. Anyway they got the goodyears to road force between 10 and 15 this is near perfect. I picked up the car and noticed right away the good years look beefy and much better then the continental's. More importantly the car drives great. I took it on a road trip 60 70 80 and up the steering wheel was rock solid. It has been about a month now and all is well. If you have this problem have them put good year on at no cost. They know about this problem and the district rep will make you happy. Remember it's how you explain it and how you talk. They really do want to make you happy. After all that's why you buy a car like this. Good luck to all.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 535 I X DRIVE
Georgyporgy - I have been following your post with great interest since I have similar problem with my 2013xi. Thanks for keeping us posted. Any update on replacing the front wheel bearings?
Previous rides: 2010 RL Tech; 2008 RL Tech; 2007 TL Tech;2000 Accord V6, 1995 Accord EX; 1991 Accord....
Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 AM

Still no further forward. I spoke to them on Monday morning and they said they are again waiting for Germany, I asked to speak to the manager yet again and was told he's on the phone right now, but he will call me right back. It's now 6pm on Tuesday and no calls whatsoever.

I managed to track down BMW UK's managing director's Email and phone number and have sent him a very lengthy email. That was this morning, If I get no reply within 24 hours I will be calling his mobile phone !
Old 01-28-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post

You sure the 3 is too small? They're about the same size weight as an e39 5. And you only give up an inch of rear legroom at most

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-29-2014, 03:52 AM

Director has emailed me apologising, and has passed case onto customer service manager who will call me within 48 hours. You'd have thought he'd have told her to call me straight away wouldn't you ?.....Unbelievable !
Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Director has emailed me apologising, and has passed case onto customer service manager who will call me within 48 hours. You'd have thought he'd have told her to call me straight away wouldn't you ?.....Unbelievable !
Are there any "lemon laws" in the uk?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 AM

No unfortunately not. If there were they'd be sucking on them long before now !
Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
No unfortunately not. If there were they'd be sucking on them long before now !
That sucks. Whenever I start to complain about the comparative lack of options we get or poor dealer service I have to remind myself of the low prices we pay and strong consumer protection laws in the US.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:55 AM

All four wheel bearings replaced and still shaking, shaking all four shock absorbers today. Customer services Manager called this morning and told me that 2 of their top technicians (BMW UK)will be taking over from Monday and that she expects a speedy resolution...Let's hope so.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:06 AM

Do companies ever buy back cars in the UK?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:52 PM

Sorry folks, but after nearly 2 MONTHS I've finally had enough and forced the dealer I bought it from to refund me. Ive not heard from anyone at BMW for 4 days. Ridiculous.
I no longer own the car, and tomorrow I'll be buying a Mercedes E-class. It's not as well equiped and possibly doesn't look as good but IMO it's a way better car . I'll never buy another BMW.

If I do happen to find out what the cause of this vibration is, I will let those who are experiencing the same know. BYE !
Old 02-04-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Sorry folks, but after nearly 2 MONTHS I've finally had enough and forced the dealer I bought it from to refund me. Ive not heard from anyone at BMW for 4 days. Ridiculous.
I no longer own the car, and tomorrow I'll be buying a Mercedes E-class. It's not as well equiped and possibly doesn't look as good but IMO it's a way better car . I'll never buy another BMW.

If I do happen to find out what the cause of this vibration is, I will let those who are experiencing the same know. BYE !
Here in US nobody cares and BMW NA is useless, they dont do like Europe or UK and send special technicians or anything like that. I have vibration at idle and contact ed BMW NA after the dealer failed to fix the issue and claimed its normal for a BMW to vibrate a bit!

They called me back and asked me to.go back to the dealer and give him a chance! The lady seemed like and avergae call center rep with little knowledge about cars.. I discussed the options with her and basically there are no options.. just like a voice recorder she kept repeating the same.. sir take it back to the dealer they are trained and you need to give them a chance!!! She is not willing to send anybody and looks like they dont have BMW NA techs and mainly depend on the dealer. But the dealer says its normal so I am not wasting my time and going back. . Its a lease and I need to live with it for another 3 years.. but after that I will be either in an Audi or MB E 350 (No Vibration).. this was my first and will be my last VMW (V for vibration)

Last edited by ahmadddd; 02-04-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3, 2013 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadddd View Post
Here in US nobody cares and BMW NA is useless, they dont do like Europe or UK and send special technicians or anything like that. I have vibration at idle and contact ed BMW NA after the dealer failed to fix the issue and claimed its normal for a BMW to vibrate a bit!

They called me back and asked me to.go back to the dealer and give him a chance! The lady seemed like and avergae call center rep with little knowledge about cars.. I discussed the options with her and basically there are no options.. just like a voice recorder she kept repeating the same.. sir take it back to the dealer they are trained and you need to give them a chance!!! She is not willing to send anybody and looks like they dont have BMW NA techs and mainly depend on the dealer. But the dealer says its normal so I am not wasting my time and going back. . Its a lease and I need to live with it for another 3 years.. but after that I will be either in an Audi or MB E 350 (No Vibration).. this was my first and will be my last VMW (V for vibration)
Email all of the heads in Germany and US. I guarantee you that you'll receive a call. That's what I did and they took care of me even after I traded the car in.