Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Calvinball Professional

Mein Auto: '07 M Roadster
Time for a new battery in the Z4M

Even my trusty CTEK can't keep the charge up anymore, so I rang up the dealership and they wanted $295 for an new battery for my 07 M Roadster.

Auto parts stores are running around $155 for an AGM battery, so I think I will be going aftermarket.

I've gone through several threads including Ron's Batteries one but I still have some questions.

Size - need to verify that the Z4M battery is an H6 (48) and not an H8 (49).

Should I need to do anything maintenance-wise with the vent tube other than just plugging it in to the new battery? Where the heck does that thing vent the acid fumes to anyway?

Any particular brands of aftermarket preferred? I'm leaning towards the Duralast Platinum H6-AGM. It looks suspiciously like the BMW 61 21 7 553 952 that BMW of The Woodlands thinks is worth $295, but with Duralast stickers instead of BMW ones. The Batteries post made it sound like all US brands of AGMs are made by the same two companies anyway.

Any other tricks or gotchas when replacing the battery on a Z4M that is different than replacing the battery on a mere mortal car?

2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.

Last edited by Zuzax; 03-23-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 AM
Drivin' the dream

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 & 2007 Z4 si
I just bought a new BMW battery for my 07 si a couple of weeks ago at the Dealer. It was $160. The M version is really a different battery?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
the h6 can be had for under 100.00.........auto zone/walmart etc....easy to change on an 05
Old 03-24-2012, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzax View Post
Even my trusty CTEK can't keep the charge up anymore, so I rang up the dealership and they wanted $295 for an new battery for my 07 M Roadster.

Auto parts stores are running around $155 for an AGM battery, so I think I will be going aftermarket.

I've gone through several threads including Ron's Batteries one but I still have some questions.

Size - need to verify that the Z4M battery is an H6 (48) and not an H8 (49).

Should I need to do anything maintenance-wise with the vent tube other than just plugging it in to the new battery? Where the heck does that thing vent the acid fumes to anyway?

Any particular brands of aftermarket preferred? I'm leaning towards the Duralast Platinum H6-AGM. It looks suspiciously like the BMW 61 21 7 553 952 that BMW of The Woodlands thinks is worth $295, but with Duralast stickers instead of BMW ones. The Batteries post made it sound like all US brands of AGMs are made by the same two companies anyway.

Any other tricks or gotchas when replacing the battery on a Z4M that is different than replacing the battery on a mere mortal car?
The H6 should be the one. Yes- it looks EXACTLY like the battery you will remove. No special stuff on the vent tube(just gasses so it won't be clogged). Just unplug the old tube and attach it to the new battery. I went with the Non AGM version as it was $115 and had the same warranty as the AGM version. I got mine at O'Reilly as did Ron but I understand they may not be carrying that battery any more.

It is amazing how much some dealers charge for a battery. As some have said, prices are vastly different at various dealers so it may pay to check with another one if you want an OEM battery(although I see no advantage to this).

Last edited by chickdr; 03-24-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Calvinball Professional

So far so good. I've done the swap and now I'm just letting it sit for a bit with the new battery before I try to crank it - let the electronics reboot and all that.

The Duralast Platinum H6-AGM is an identical twin to the BMW battery, at least externally. Specs are slightly different but then $155 + tax is much better than the best price of $275.18 + tax I could find for OEM.

I have full pictures that I will post later, but I must say it was a PITA due to the cramped area getting to the positive terminal. Hooray for hand mirrors.

And once again, one single picture posted by Ron Stygar saved me from being in a world of hurt when removing the positive terminal assembly.

2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 Coupe 2007
For regular over the counter folks, the BMW dealer in Jacksonville FL (Tom Bush) will charge you 100% over retail for parts. Yes you heard correct, if the MSRP is $10 they will charge you $20. That's double over retail which already has plenty of mark-up.

Max Stealer Level achieved.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Calvinball Professional

To benefit battery searchers in the future, a link to my installation photos and incoherent comments is found here.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 07 M Coupe, 00 Boxster S
Awesome post! Saved me some serious $$$ on my '07 M Coupe's battery. Make sure you get the H6-AGM and not the H8-AGM. Also make sure that you get the AGM (better battery internals). Thanks again for this great post! Changing the battery took.. what... maybe 2 minutes to remove the battery, 30 minutes to drive to/from autozone and 2 minutes to put the new one in. $161 as of 9/7/2013.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: Z4MC
Is Die Hard Group Size 48 AGM just as good?
http://www.sears.com/diehard-gold-au...2&blockType=G2
Old 12-10-2013, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 135i
I love interstate batteries.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Apex View Post
Is Die Hard Group Size 48 AGM just as good?
http://www.sears.com/diehard-gold-au...2&blockType=G2
Diehard "Gold" is LeadAcid. If you want AGM, you'll need to get their "Advanced Gold" series.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
I took my 2007 MCoupe to my indy shop yesterday to check out the charging system and battery, as in the last few days I noticed that the engine wasn't springing to life immediately as it always has. And it's cold here (Cleveland) and getting colder.

The charging system was fine, also the draw down test was fine, but the battery was weak @ 9.6 volts under load. I authorized them to pop in a new Bosch battery at a price that was higher than I would have liked, but since I had a $50.00 off promotion from the shop, it was OK.

I trust these guys, and when I asked about whether computer resets were really needed for a battery replacement, I was told that that was absolutely true. They even enter the cold cranking amps of the battery so the correct charge rate is outputted. German over-engineering at its best.

Ah, well, batteries do fail, I have a bum back so no awkward lifting for me, the shop knows what it is doing, and I had $50.00 off coupon. A slight time inconvenience, and not so slight cost, but I won't be stranded.

EB
Old 12-11-2013, 08:28 AM

Battery registration is only required on cars with the MOST system. Our cars are not MOST. Something sounds fishy if your indy is able to register the battery on your car. For references, see these articles:
http://www.munichmotorsport.com/wordpress/?page_id=164
http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1479

FYI...Cranking Amps (CA) or Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) has nothing to do with the battery's capacity. You need to look at the battery's Reserved Charge (RC) rating to determine battery capacity.

Does Bosch make an AGM? AGMs usually have better capacities than regular Lead Acid batteries, which means that you can leave the car sitting longer without needing a recharge.

Last edited by dkl; 12-11-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
As DKL said this would be the FIRST time I have heard of a dealer actually being able to "program" the Z4's new battery. The only need for "reprogramming" should be the clock and window auto-up feature. An exception would be if your car went into transport mode.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Hmmmmm?!

The invoice shows reset of time and one other thing (I don't recall), not anything related to setting computer charge rate.

I hope this is just a matter of the billing/counter/appointment guy not knowing what they did in the shop. Otherwise, my trust is greatly diminished.

Thanks for the above two replies.

EB

Last edited by ebruder; 12-11-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:37 AM
ZEDHEAD

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0i
I just had my battery changed by my local mechanic, it cost only $155 including installation and took a total of 10 minutes. I would have done it myself but nothing would have been saved and it would have taken longer with returning the dead battery.

The only thing I had to do was reset the clock.

Sometimes I find it amusing how posters here think that a BMW is so special that only someone specially trained can do something so basic as change a battery, oil, spark plugs etc. on a BMW.

A good mechanic can work on just about anything. If they can't then they aren't a good mechanic.

“Thou art to me a delicious torment.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-11-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
Sometimes I find it amusing how posters here think that a BMW is so special that only someone specially trained can do something so basic as change a battery, oil, spark plugs etc. on a BMW.

A good mechanic can work on just about anything. If they can't then they aren't a good mechanic.
Your statement is true for the most part. But if you would have gotten a different model, then something as simple as a battery change will required a battery registration with the car's computer or your new battery would go "kaput" in a relatively short time. If you or your mechanic don't have the software or interface to do this, then the dealer would be your only other option.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 Coupe
Your dealer sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzax View Post
Even my trusty CTEK can't keep the charge up anymore, so I rang up the dealership and they wanted $295 for an new battery for my 07 M Roadster. :yikes

Wow - my dealer sourced me a BMW battery for $154 for my 3.0si Coupe. NO reset needed.

Last edited by f1fork; 12-18-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0si
Guess I'm lost. How can someone get the wrong battery? If it's 12 volts and will fit into the space without terminals hitting anything it should work. As far as reprograming clock and windows. there is a device that takes a 9 volt batter and plugs into the cigarette lighter. This will keep any memories that you might have. The device sells for about $4 and most smart shops use them. Mark