Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0i
Wet carpet

Recently purchased 2003 Z4 3.0i. After leaving the car out in the rain, noticed my drivers side
carpet was wet near where your left foot would rest. I think the windshield was replaced in the past and may not have been sealed very well. It looks like there is missing sealant down the side. Could there be any other point of entry. Going to do a water test today. It taken all week to get the foam under the carpet dry.
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2014, 01:17 PM

Looks like the water is coming thru where the door meets the gasket and not the windshield. Has anyone replaced the gasket where the front end of the door at the top of the door meets the car body?
Old 12-14-2014, 01:44 PM

Picture of trouble area
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	481323  
Old 12-14-2014, 02:17 PM
The knights who say Ni!

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 M Roadster
I would start with treating all your gaskets to see if that rejuvenates them enough to stop the leaking. If the BMW gummi pflege (literally "rubber care") is not available, then my choices would be:
1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick
Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick
Zymol Seal

2006 MZ4 Roadster, Interlagos Blue, Light Sepang, CF Trim
CDV delete, OEM Strut Bar, Homelink, smartTop Controller

Old 12-14-2014, 03:29 PM

On the passenger side the gasket bulges outward toward the door, but on the drivers side gasket is a little sunken inward. I will give your suggestion a try. This gasket looks like it runs up over the length of the windshield down to the passenger door. Doesn't look like an easy replacement. Have you had succes with the products you suggest?
Old 12-15-2014, 11:17 AM
The knights who say Ni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngdavid View Post
Have you had succes with the products you suggest?
I have a tube of the original BMW gummi pflege from my 2000 Z3. It works wonders, but I have heard it is not made anymore. I have not used any of the other products, but those are the ones most sworn by by others on various bmw boards.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:38 AM

Thanks. Already orders the 1z this morning. Read a lot of good reviews online. A few of the reviews claimed it actually stopped some leaks. That's what I'm hoping for. The seal looks in good shape just a little compressed. If I have to replace not sure I can do myself. I've already tried looking for the part online but haven't found it yet.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:57 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
You can still buy Gummi Pflege through Amazon.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:29 PM

That's what I bought thru Autogeek. Any suggestion for finding the gasket. Would like to know availability and price if I have to replace. Haven't tried the stealer ship would assume they could get it.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:09 PM

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the gasket is where your issue is. The typical design strategy for cars is to channel the water more so than try to seal it out. I'd try sealing the door/body opening with tape and then run water over the windshield and door area and verify the carpet stays dry. If it does then you've confirmed it's the door seal. If it still leaks then it's not the door seal and you've saved all that work for nothing....
Old 12-15-2014, 07:50 PM

Are you thinking more likely the windshield? When my friend and I did the water test, I was in the car and he was outside with a hose. At first he concentrated on the windshield in that area because the seal there looked questionable. But didn't see any water coming thru. He then concentrated more on the area between the body and the door seam. And water started running in. When we opened the door the door trim running along the bottom edge of the door had water puddled up on top of it. To me, it looked like it was coming thru where the door seal ends and the top seal/and the upper seal overlap. I hope I'm explaining it correctly. Also I think the water was running behind the door panel and was dripping out of the bottom of the door panel. When I bought this car the used car lot had it inside there warehouse.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:48 AM

You'll always find water in the sill area of the door frame. As I indicated earlier, they don't really seal the water out so much as channel where it runs through and exits. I'd just do something to positively eliminate or confirm the door seal as the issue before going to the cost and work to replace the seal. Taping over the door/body gap to eliminate any water running into that area would allow you to really saturate the windshield on that side. If it stays dry you know for certain the windshield sealing is good.
If it is the seal, before you replace it you can try increasing its thickness by inserting some tubing inside it. It has a hollow interior and if you can slide some latex tubing into it that will rehabilitate it's cross section and help it seal again.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:22 AM

Thanks for your help, you are one smart dude. The water that I mentioned was actually puddled on top of the door seal, which I think means it had already gotten past the seal. I like your suggestion about trying to increase the size. The seal is hollow where I think the issue is. The latex tubing your suggesting, where you could I get that, and do you think that would be the best option? Thank you so much!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:57 AM
The knights who say Ni!

Home Depot, Lowes, or even an auto-parts store should have tubing of various sorts. However, whenever I need odd parts with specific dimensions I always turn to McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-pl...-rubber-tubing

Old 12-16-2014, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the link DaveZ