Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 05 330CIC ZHP
Couple of wet spark plugs!!!

So I changed the spark plugs yestarday as the car just passed the 60k. The DIY costed me loosing a washer-nut from the engine cover and a torx screw from the cabin filter housing unit somewhere in the engine bay (I am very impatience) but saved a lot of $$$.

Anyways, as I was taking out the original BOSCH-BMW plugs, I noticed that few of the tip of the plugs were soaking wet and others had dry tips with white deposit (which I was expecting from all of them). 100% of the plugs were wet around the thread area.

Is that normal? Should I be concerned? BTW, the car has turned to a beast with the NGK 3199s.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhpboy View Post
So I changed the spark plugs yestarday as the car just passed the 60k. The DIY costed me loosing a washer-nut from the engine cover and a torx screw from the cabin filter housing unit somewhere in the engine bay (I am very impatience) but saved a lot of $$$.

Anyways, as I was taking out the original BOSCH-BMW plugs, I noticed that few of the tip of the plugs were soaking wet and others had dry tips with white deposit (which I was expecting from all of them). 100% of the plugs were wet around the thread area.

Is that normal? Should I be concerned? BTW, the car has turned to a beast with the NGK 3199s.
No, that is not normal. BMW plugs are not BOSCH. BMW OEM plugs are NGK BKR6EQUP.

When you say soaking wet, was it wet from gasoline, oil or water (coolant)? It could mean the difference between a CCV failure or a head gasket although any of these should mean other symptoms present.

Were you washing the engine before changing the plugs.

Last edited by ckleung100; 03-25-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
Quote:
The DIY costed me loosing a washer-nut from the engine cover and a torx screw from the cabin filter housing unit somewhere in the engine bay (I am very impatience) but saved a lot of $$$.
Please don't take offense, but IF the issue is the Valve Cover Gasket (VCG), I would not suggest that you DIY.
Imola Red 2004 330i ZHP, Sunroof, Cold Weather Pkg, Assist, Navi & Leather. Upgrades: Front & Side Clear Lens, Clutch Stop & CDV Delete. 10.2006-Differential Swap to 3.46! 12.2006 - UUC SSK, DSSR and Tranny Mounts (Red).
Old 03-25-2012, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 330i
I Just bought a 01 330i and did a valve cover gasket job on it. I didnt run in to any problems, and I am NOT a import guru. Ive always worked on chevys.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleung100 View Post
When you say soaking wet, was it wet from gasoline, oil or water (coolant)?
This......

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330CIC ZHP
Quote:
No, that is not normal. BMW plugs are not BOSCH. BMW OEM plugs are NGK BKR6EQUP.

When you say soaking wet, was it wet from gasoline, oil or water (coolant)? It could mean the difference between a CCV failure or a head gasket although any of these should mean other symptoms present.

Were you washing the engine before changing the plugs.
The plugs that I pulled out had BMW BOSCH written on them. I saved one of the plugs and will post pics once I get a chance.

The car had its valve cover gasket replaced less than 1k miles when I took did the 60k miles inspection. The extended warranty took up the tab. I should have mentioned it in my original post but occured to be later.

I suspect that the oil (not gas or water) was leftover from the previous leak?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
The plugs that I pulled out had BMW BOSCH written on them. I saved one of the plugs and will post pics once I get a chance.
BMW BOSCH may have been stamped on them but they probably weren't meant for your car. The NGKs are the ones that are OEM for e46s so that's probably why you say there is a performance difference with the NGKs.

Quote:
The car had its valve cover gasket replaced less than 1k miles when I took did the 60k miles inspection. The extended warranty took up the tab. I should have mentioned it in my original post but occurred to be later.

I suspect that the oil (not gas or water) was leftover from the previous leak?
That may explain the oil on the threads but was there oil on the tips of the plugs too? That would indicate a CCV failure among other things.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
BMW BOSCH may have been stamped on them but they probably weren't meant for your car. The NGKs are the ones that are OEM for e46s so that's probably why you say there is a performance difference with the NGKs.
I did some research on this. My local salvage yard sells new and used BMW parts. They have BMW branded boxes that contain Bosch spark plugs. Seems BMW interchangeably ran NGK or Bosch in the newer cars (probably around 02-03). This is my observation and isn't anything more than a "best guess" so I could be wrong. But BMW branded Bosch plugs do exist. I have seen them with mine own eyes.

As for them being "wet". It was likely from the previous leak that allowed oil in your spark plug holes. Very common.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I did some research on this. My local salvage yard sells new and used BMW parts. They have BMW branded boxes that contain Bosch spark plugs. Seems BMW interchangeably ran NGK or Bosch in the newer cars (probably around 02-03). This is my observation and isn't anything more than a "best guess" so I could be wrong. But BMW branded Bosch plugs do exist. I have seen them with mine own eyes.

As for them being "wet". It was likely from the previous leak that allowed oil in your spark plug holes. Very common.
Ya, I don't doubt that BMW Bosch spark plugs exists. I'm sure they do. They also have many, many models of cars and motorcycles so I figure they could have been OEM for one of them. To my knowledge, I haven't seem a BMW oem spec. for a Bosch plug in an e46 though.