Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Nes

Mein Auto: 1994 325ic
Engaging convertible top motor

Help !!! accidently pulled the motor disengege strap under back seat while setting up stereo system. Is it possible to reengage motor myself ? Book says take it to the dealer.

94 325ic

Nestor
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2006, 03:44 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Instructions

Try these instructions and they should help resync the motors with the top operation...

This is the procedure I got from Alldata (cut and paste but no pics, sorry).

INITIALIZING EM CONVERTIBLE TOP AFTER EMERGENCY RELEASE (CONVERTIBLE TOP UNLOCKED) :

Connecting up drives :

* Both drive units are unlocked and access in trunk is not possible (electrical forced locking of trunk lid).

* Open side windows.
* Turn central handle and raise convertible top over dead center point, microswitch (S4) cuts in (convertible top not overstretched).

* Raise clamping bracket into upright position.

* Open convertible top cover manually and store in convertible top box - micro-switch (S3) cuts in (convertible top stowed away).

* Close convertible top lid (closing brackets must locate locks on left and right sides).

* Have second man press down convertible top lid in center (1) and right side (2) until microswitch (S6) (electronic forced locking of trunk lid) engages and trunk lid (3) can be opened.

Caution ! Convertible top lid and trunk lid must not make contact with each other when opening (risk of damage).

Installation :

* Before engaging the drive units, push unlocking lever fully back (Bowden cables fully retracted). If necessary raise the seat.

* Remove left luggage compartment trim.
* Push motor (A) for convertible top drive upwards, engage and allow to locate.

NOTE : In tooth-to-tooth setting (motor cannot be engaged), press down convertible top gently and engage motor.

* Pull motor (B) for convertible top lid drive inwards, engage and allow to locate.

NOTE : In tooth-to-tooth setting (motor cannot be engaged), press down convertible top lid gently and engage motor.

* Close luggage compartment lid.

Initialization without diagnosis :

Prerequisite :

* Convertible top stowed in convertible top box and drive units connected up.
* Turn ignition lock into '0" setting.
* Move convertible top switch into "open" position and hold down.
* Turn ignition lock into "R" (radio setting) setting.
* After approx. 10 seconds, the convertible top lid starts to close.

* Convertible top switch can now be released and initialization procedure runs. Initialization is completed approx. 0.5 seconds after the convertible top lid has finished closing.

NOTE : The initialization sequence can only be interrupted by turning the ignition lock into setting "0".

* Now completely close the convertible top (perform function check).

Initialization with diagnosis :

Prerequisite :

Initialization, refer to BMW diagnosis system.

Emergency actuation of convertible top :

* Open side windows and left door.
* Push left front seat forwards and fold down.

NOTE : No-one must be sitting on the rear seat at this time.

* The release lever is located at the left under the rear bench seat in position (1) (rest position). If necessary, lift up rear bench seat.
* Pull release lever forwards with grip into position (2) until both drive units disengage audibly.
* After being released, the release lever returns to position (3).

Caution ! When drive units are disconnected, only drive with convertible top closed (it is then not possible to lock the convertible top lid).

The convertible top lid and convertible top can now move freely.

Installation :

* Before engaging the drive units, slide release lever full back into position (1) (engagement not otherwise possible) and allow bench seat to reengage.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:37 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Worked Great!

I just tried out this procedure and it works great! The guys putting new seat covers on pulled the release lever thinking it would be easier to move the top by hand than using the electrical system. Once they pulled it they of course couldn't get into the trunk!
Figured that on out on the fly, then I got the motors re-engaged but they were definitely operating out of sequence. The re-sequencing instructions worked perfectly!

Don
Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 328ic
lid motor will not release

I can not dis engage the lid motor when puling the release handle in the back seat, must be jammed, can anyone help

[QUOTE=fun2drive;1531067]Try these instructions and they should help resync the motors with the top operation...

INITIALIZING EM CONVERTIBLE TOP AFTER EMERGENCY RELEASE (CONVERTIBLE TOP UNLOCKED) :

Connecting up drives :

* Both drive units are unlocked and access in trunk is not possible (electrical forced locking of trunk lid).

* Open side windows.
* Turn central handle and raise convertible top over dead center point, microswitch (S4) cuts in (convertible top not overstretched).

* Open convertible top cover manually and store in convertible top box - micro-switch (S3) cuts in (convertible top stowed away).

* Close convertible top lid (closing brackets must locate locks on left and right sides).

* Have second man press down convertible top lid in center (1) and right side (2) until microswitch (S6) (electronic forced locking of trunk lid) engages and trunk lid (3) can be opened.

Caution ! Convertible top lid and trunk lid must not make contact with each other when opening (risk of damage).

Installation :

* Before engaging the drive units, push unlocking lever fully back (Bowden cables fully retracted). If necessary raise the seat.

NOTE : In tooth-to-tooth setting (motor cannot be engaged), press down convertible top gently and engage motor.

* Pull motor (B) for convertible top lid drive inwards, engage and allow to locate.

NOTE : In tooth-to-tooth setting (motor cannot be engaged), press down convertible top lid gently and engage motor.

Prerequisite :

* Convertible top switch can now be released and initialization procedure runs. Initialization is completed approx. 0.5 seconds after the convertible top lid has finished closing.

NOTE : The initialization sequence can only be interrupted by turning the ignition lock into setting "0".

Prerequisite :

* The release lever is located at the left under the rear bench seat in position (1) (rest position). If necessary, lift up rear bench seat.
* Pull release lever forwards with grip into position (2) until both drive units disengage audibly.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323 convertible
[QUOTE=Hearn1000;4130629]I can not dis engage the lid motor when puling the release handle in the back seat, must be jammed, can anyone help

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Try these instructions and they should help resync the motors with the top operation...

Connecting up drives :

* Open side windows.

Installation :

Prerequisite :

Prerequisite :

Use the lever on the motor (there's less leverage but it is possible) pull it forwards/downwards to release the drive .
Old 04-28-2009, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 328i Convertible
I've got the procedure down pat and having no trouble re-engaging the top motor; however, when I try to ren-engage the cover motor, it seems like it's being stopped. With a mirror and light, it looks like the motor is sitting low and the gear won't enter the intended hole. I've tried moving the motor up to no avail. I also have tried pushing down on the cover while trying to re-engage but no change - it's not the gears clashing, it's the gear assembly. Have also tried another suggestion of moving the top in different positions while trying to re-engage. Again, no change in position of the motor to allow it to re-engage. Has the motor slipped out of position or is there some other way to reposition it that would allow it to be re-engaged?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325ic
Are you talking about the motor that is inside the top of the truck closest to the window?

If so, I had hell getting it to go in. Call me crazy but I was desperate and used a small floor jack. It worked like a charm. If you are going to do this, just be careful to take it slow and don't jack it up any further than needed.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:12 AM

Thanks, mrsT, but no, I'm having trouble with the side-mounted motor that controls the storage cover. The motor for the top pops in and out with no problem.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 AM

If you're struggling to align the motor and drive gears , take the whole thing out on it's frame if you think the motor as moved on it's mountings , 4 bolts and release the linkage and you'll see it better than trying to reach around with a dentist mirror

The other one just for the hell of it

Happy roof off motoring
Old 05-12-2009, 06:04 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I did take the motor off. Yes, alignment looks good. What I found, however, was that the gear cannot be turned in either direction. Using pliers and the motor sitting on it's side, I've tried to rotate the gear so it will pop back into place, but the gear simply won't turn. At all. Comparatively, the top motor gear turns easily. I hate to resort to taking it to someone else - or, I might start combing the junk yards to try another motor assembly. Any other thoughts?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarson View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I did take the motor off. Yes, alignment looks good. What I found, however, was that the gear cannot be turned in either direction. Using pliers and the motor sitting on it's side, I've tried to rotate the gear so it will pop back into place, but the gear simply won't turn. At all. Comparatively, the top motor gear turns easily. I hate to resort to taking it to someone else - or, I might start combing the junk yards to try another motor assembly. Any other thoughts?
Other than trying another motor , have you tried powering yours' up ? to see if it's seized .

You sometimes see them on ebay , i know they're expensive new .
Old 05-18-2009, 06:09 AM

An update: Took the flap drive (cover motor) off the car and found that, yes, the alignment really was off: the hole in the gear cover was too tight, keeping the gear from the motor side from engaging. Took the gear cover off, filed the hole to a larger size and reinstalled. Motor now pops in and out like it is supposed to. I've run the initialization procedure but the top stops about half way through. I'm hoping that my next fix - the bungee cord mod for the tensions straps - will help the top finish its reinitionalization and will be cool.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Still stopping half way

No progress. I've installed the bungees and now there's tension to pull up the window section, but the top still stops during the reinitialization process. After going through the well-publicized process to re-sync the motors toward closing the fully-automatic top: the storage flap comes up, the top rises and opens up but then stops at the point of pulling up the rear window section for the flap to close. Any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Love my Beemers

Mein Auto: 1999 328ici & 2001 745i
See if you can top this problem!! HELP

My 1999 328i convertible top got stuck upon closing it once night and I could hear motors juping track, or so it seemed. The arms in convertible top compartment bent. Cables were snaged and everything was not aligned. I was able to close top manually and am able to open top and even lock lid by pressing open button but lid motor will lock lid and start knocking so I have to turn ignition off to keep it from further damage. Now I need top motor since it does not work at all and I noticed housing was stripped. Now during this whole manually thing, the cables are not alligned. Any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
This will help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E36%20Convertible%20Adjust.pdf (878.8 KB, 311 views)
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Love my Beemers

Mein Auto: 1999 328ici & 2001 745i
Awsome!!! You guys are the best!!! I will look at my problem as soon as I have some time to play Twister with my convertible. I'll keep you updated!