BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

83 320i 5 speed Need help on fuel pump/ignition questions

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Flotsam 
#1 ·
Hello to all thanks for helping me out in my previous post 1st off. I have a 83 320i 5 speed and I have a difficult problem to pinpoint on what is causing this issue so again I turned to anyone on here who could help or has been through similar problems. I will try to describe what happens the best I can. When the car is HOT and while driving the car will bog down and conk out. Then it won’t start until it is cool again. Also note when the car bogs down it also won’t let me give the car fuel or accelerate when I push down the pedal. It’s as though the fuel pump is not working to give gas. Also note when this happens and I am trying to start the car and it won’t start when I put the key in the run position you can hear some clicking going on from what appears to be a mechanical fuel pump under the hood right behind where the fan is. I believe this model has 2 fuel pumps 1 in the tank and 1 mechanical I just described to you. Please help me out here as I am at a loss on what this could be. Here are my 3 ideas please indulge me as to which one is correct if any. 1 the mechanical fuel pump is going bad somehow (but why) 2 Perhaps a fuel pump relay switch or device is going bad when hot and 3 the (I think it’s called the COIL) is going bad. That is what the 1 wire runs to from the distributor cap. Again it’s only happening when the car is hot and you run it hard give it a lot of gas. Please advise me here as to what this could be as I am at a trouble spot. I know with all the knowledge on these forums someone out there must have had a similar problem/the same problem thanks for your help in advance.
Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
had a similar issue with mine, but when my car was starting to died i pulled over and opened the gas cap and it would sound like a rush of air and be fine, i asked the question on Bimmerforums(much better place for info) and someone said it was the The tank(s) use a ventilation system.
It may be plugged somewhere, maybe the can is plugged...havent had the time to do that as of yet just put my old gas cap on with afew small holes it as a vent, good luck and maybe see ya on the other forum BMC New York

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.