Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: e90 M3
DCT 2011 M3 auto start almost never shuts off engine

I have turned on the autostart feature but I have tried it a couple of times. It seems that between the hot California weather and the DCT being in manual mode most of the time, the autostart engine shutoff conditions are almost never met. I am not sure, but it seems as if the auto shutoff feature won't shutoff the engine if I am in manual shifting mode. It could be the mode the tranny is in (level 3 most of the time, level 5 in M mode) but I think the tranny needs to be in automatic to get a shutdown (and it needs to be reasonably cool out, but not too cold).

I spent a bunch of time in Europe this past summer and every car I rented had autostart. It can be disconcerting at first but you do get used to it. In Paris I had to turn the autostart off because the few tenths of a second it took to restart was way too long to keep up with the impatient Parisians.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 1series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamze132 View Post
The system isn't operable unless the engine has reached operating temperature and it's above 37f I believe. I might be off base here...
Bmw all telling you guys **** about car need long distant driving . When I buy my bm it was givin me the same problem . I bring back the car them change the stop start mechanism car work like a bitch after a mins of driving .
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Let me see if I got this right. Long time ago, we were under the assumption that it is the start and the restart the engine that cause the most engine wear, and that we should keep it running if the car will move shortly, ie, stopping at an intersection. Now, BMW and other manufacturers are saying it is cost effective, ie, wear and tear on the engine vs less consumption of fuel? I know my issue seem to be hijacking the thread, but I couldn't resist in bringing up this crazy idea. If given a choice, I would not want my car to have this feature even though, I think, one can bypass this feature. If it is electrical feature, it will cause consternation in time. Edit: The suspected automatic features in new automobiles are keeping me from buying a new car.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, theres a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 02-10-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: e90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Let me see if I got this right. Long time ago, we were under the assumption that it is the start and the restart the engine that cause the most engine wear, and that we should keep it running if the car will move shortly, ie, stopping at an intersection. Now, BMW and other manufacturers are saying it is cost effective, ie, wear and tear on the engine vs less consumption of fuel? I know my issue seem to be hijacking the thread, but I couldn't resist in bringing up this crazy idea. If given a choice, I would not want my car to have this feature even though, I think, one can bypass this feature. If it is electrical feature, it will cause consternation in time. Edit: The suspected automatic features in new automobiles are keeping me from buying a new car.
Remember that on the M3 the autostart feature is off by default (you have to push a button to turn the feature on) so you don't have to use it if you don't want to. And, as I said in my original post, it seems that even if it is on the autostart feature rarely actually turns the engine off.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: United States
It was below freezing all day and my start stop function didnt work or was not supposed to be working.

Is this normal?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Most likely the feature was not be activated by the computer because the conditions did not favor starting and stopping of the motor. This is common
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 12-12-2014, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: e90 m3
anyone knows what are the conditions for the auto stop to kicks in? i have been trying to at least get to see it in action but for some reason it never kicks in on my 2011 e90 m3...
Old 12-12-2014, 11:49 AM

I don't know the exact conditions and I only can tell you my DCT experiences. Some events may be different for Manual transmissions. I read this information on the BMW site as well as my personal experiences.

1) It will not work if you are in M mode.

2) The engine HAS to be at operating temperature.

3) If the climate control is on auto and the cabin is not at the desired temp(set by the controls) (heat/AC) the start/stop will NOT activate.

4) If the battery does NOT have sufficient charge to maintain all the electronics as well as restart the car during a auto stop/start, the Auto start/stop feature will NOT activate.

5) Once the Auto stop/start is activated, the car MUST reach 10 or 15 MPH for the system to be deemed active. You cannot be sitting at a drive through line and activate the start/stop and expect the car to shut off. You would have to turn it on as you approach at speed for it to activate. Also, once the car has done an auto stop/start cycle, I have not found it to reactivate unless you have reached 10/15 MPH again.

6) It will NOT work if the seat belt is undone or not connected. The car will see that the belt is undone and it will not deem the stop as a permanent stop and the system will not activate. If the auto stop/start function is on and the car does shut down the engine, the car will not restart if the seat belt is undone during the auto stop/start or a door/trunk/hood is opened.

7) If you have auto stop/start active and you come to a stop if you: you take your foot off the brake, turn the wheels or basically basically do anything when stopped, the auto stop/start will not activate or it will turn the car back on.

I cannot provide specific numbers like 13 mph, distance of 57 feet moving at X speed. car temp must be 242.5 degrees etc

I hope this helps.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 12-12-2014, 11:55 AM

Yeah interesting I was just reading more to it and started to understand it looks at a lot of variables for it to get activated. (at first I even thought the feature is "on" when the switch light is "on"!)

It might be a combination of things like has been cold here in NY, and I been driving mostly in either m-mode or i'm in manual shift when i'm not in m-mode. I'll experiment more. Just wonder if something is broken since I never managed to get it to trigger...
Old 12-12-2014, 12:16 PM

D or S mode has NOT made a difference to my auto stop/start activation.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 12-12-2014, 12:24 PM

hm interesting. i thought the otherway because my dealer told me this:

Does the Auto Start Stop Function work in all driving modes?

Generally the auto start/stop function is activated automatically every time the vehicle is started. Before this technology can come into action though, the catalytic converter must first reach its operating temperature of about 350 C. The auto start/stop function is inactive at temperatures below 3 C: at these temperatures there is a huge amount of traffic on the onboard network for the fans and the heating for the seats, rear windows, outside mirrors, etc. The function is also inactive in particular driving situations, e.g. when the front wheels are turned in on the stationary vehicle. In this case we assume that the vehicle is on the point of turning when the wheels exceed a certain angle. Manual mode, normally the mode for particularly sporty and active driving, also has no need for the auto start/stop function, which is then deactivated automatically.

So many myths about this function... All I want is just to make sure I didn't bought a vehicle that has some feature broken (or battery is on its way out or something like that...)
Old 12-12-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
hm interesting. i thought the otherway because my dealer told me this:

Does the Auto Start Stop Function work in all driving modes?

Generally the auto start/stop function is activated automatically every time the vehicle is started. Before this technology can come into action though, the catalytic converter must first reach its operating temperature of about 350 C. The auto start/stop function is inactive at temperatures below 3 C: at these temperatures there is a huge amount of traffic on the onboard network for the fans and the heating for the seats, rear windows, outside mirrors, etc. The function is also inactive in particular driving situations, e.g. when the front wheels are turned in on the stationary vehicle. In this case we assume that the vehicle is on the point of turning when the wheels exceed a certain angle. Manual mode, normally the mode for particularly sporty and active driving, also has no need for the auto start/stop function, which is then deactivated automatically.

So many myths about this function... All I want is just to make sure I didn't bought a vehicle that has some feature broken (or battery is on its way out or something like that...)
HAHA... well not all dealers have a clue.

Auto Stop/start may or may not be enable every time you turn on your car. I believe all newer models default on but the e90 ///M which has this feature may not be this way I have read many posts that some peoples Auto S/S is always on when they start their car, some cars remember the status of the Auto S/S at time of ignition off and will set the Auto S/S to the last status the car was set to, others have said that it can be set by the dealer to default off. Mine ALWAYS defaults to off no matter what I do.

Please don't confuse "S" mode on a ///M3 DCT to a traditional "S" mode in an Automatic BMW. S does NOT mean "Sport" in ///M3 terms, it means Manual ,which is not considered any sportier than D, it just means you have to change gears. The highlighted section above is for automatic BMW's which has the option of placing into sport mode by moving the stick to the left. This is comparing apples to oranges.

The "sport" mode on a ///M car would be the "M" button which does disable auto stop/start.

The rest of that posted paragraph is covered in points 2, 4 and 7 in my post.

Depending on your driving profile and the age of your batter, you could have a low voltage situation which disables auto stop/start but is not low enough to throw an "Increased Discharge" battery warning. I have to put the wife's X5 on a charger in the winter at least once a week to keep here car from having battery issues.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500

Last edited by MRV99; 12-12-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Depending on your driving profile and the age of your batter, you could have a low voltage situation which disables auto stop/start but is not low enough to throw an "Increased Discharge" battery warning. I have to put the wife's X5 on a charger in the winter at least once a week to keep here car from having battery issues.
Exactly I was thinking about that as well. When I first got the car a few weeks ago the low battery sign would come up if I play radio w/o starting engine. Last week I charged it up, it has been fine (no warning. I been trying to play radio with engine off, no warning until the car auto switch off the radio in 15min or so) since for a week. But who knows may be the battery is not strong enough to have the autoSS triggered? That's why I was eager to see autoSS in action, would give me a confirmation that all is good...
Old 12-13-2014, 11:25 AM

FYI. Activated the auto a/a today to test.

Temp 41
HVAC 68 auto
S or manual mode
Shift S3
NO power button or off
Operating temp just below 210

It worked as advertised
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 12-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
FYI. Activated the auto a/a today to test.

Temp 41
HVAC 68 auto
S or manual mode
Shift S3
NO power button or off
Operating temp just below 210

It worked as advertised
I tried last night as well, every thing about same as your condition, except HVAC temp lower and outside temp slightly below freezing, still does not work.

Some ppl say if outside temp is low it wouldn't trigger, some ppl say otherwise - what's your experience?
Old 12-15-2014, 09:24 AM

Ok the battery warning light came up again (after I charged it to full 10 days ago). I'm taking it back to the dealer to check the battery / alternator. Maybe it is the reason of my auto S/S doesn't work who knows...