Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 8 Series - E31 (1989 - 1999)

8 Series - E31 (1989 - 1999)

Old 01-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E38, e23, e3
BMW dealer service drilled a hole in my body panel!!!

I went to my BMW Dealer last week to have them diagnose a battery issue. It was still under warranty and would be dead in under 3 days, so it was replaced.
While I was in for the battery, the service writer mentioned that they could take the tiny door ding out of my rear passenger door. I asked about the process, and was told "we work out the dent through a rubber grommet on the door, no need to remove the interior panel"
Fast forward to today, I washed the car and was drying it, when I saw the damage!!!! You can see the hole in the door side panel, AND through the weatherstripping! Complete with chipped paint around the hole, and the grommet he was talking about initially not even reinstalled.
I'm beyond pissed, and only cooled down a little once I called and spoke to the service manager. He was very apologetic, and said that he will take care of the damage and put me in a service loaner.
Now, I'm wondering if I'm going to be opening a can of worms by them matching the paint on a 13 year old car. I'm not an expert about body repairs, but I was thinking they could maybe fix the hole and just paint the side? It's mostly under the weatherstripping, and that way I won't deal with the entire panel being a different shade of color. Any ideas?
What a way to screw up my weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1327789788.495780.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	309983   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1327789804.482567.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	309984  
Ads by Google
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 PM
rideme2

Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
WTF!!!!!! That's how they fix ur ding!!!! By drill a hole in ur CAR!!!!! MTF!!!! Dude I'll kill somebody I don't care how old my car is.... It's my Car.. DAM....
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 PM

Yeah that's what I said. At least the service manager was cool about it over the phone, when I called him today. I'm just worried about the panel match, and am hoping they can just paint the edge? I'll find out Monday.
This is the same dealer that's was advertised on here years ago for totaling an owners newer M3 on a joy ride during a service visit.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Sick Puppy Motorwerks

Mein Auto: BMW 850Ci
That is part of the "Paintless Dent Repair" (PDR). They did the same thing on my E38 years ago, and was as pissed as you are. I would just use some touch-up paint on the exposed surfaces and run a small bead of clear silicone at the weather stripoping.
In hindsight, I would have taken the interior door panel off for them so they can work the dent out from the backside without drilling any holes. My E31 had a few door dings removed that way last year- no drilling whatsoever.
I would not let them try to paint the whole panel.

White 1993 850Ci - 251,187 miles
Black 1993 850Ci - 125,508 miles
Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 AM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: f01 750i
This is one of the most bizarre things I've seen lately, srsly, I still can't believe this is even real !!??

Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 AM

I'm going to the dealer today in 2 hours for repair. I'm going to hopefully have them take the door panel off, push out the metal that's pushed in the door, fill it, and paint just that area. Replace the weatherstrip, and hope to not notice the damage.
I will post another picture of the repair. IF YOU EVER WANT TO ISR PDR, YOU BETTER WATCH THE PROCESS, AND SAY NO DRILLING!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Little Odessa

Mein Auto: bmw
Tell them to drill the heads next time, bunch of idiots
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Well I picked up my car tonight from the dealer. I had dropped it off Monday for the repair of the hole made by the PDR a$$hole.
The repair looks fine, you can't tell it ever had damage, they also replaced the seal they drilled through.
I'm not glad it happened, but I'm glad they stepped up and took care of it.
The dealer was Savage BMW in Ontario. The service manager was top notch, as was the SA.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEbimmerguy View Post
Well I picked up my car tonight from the dealer. I had dropped it off Monday for the repair of the hole made by the PDR a$$hole.
The repair looks fine, you can't tell it ever had damage, they also replaced the seal they drilled through.
I'm not glad it happened, but I'm glad they stepped up and took care of it.
The dealer was Savage BMW in Ontario. The service manager was top notch, as was the SA.
Wow. A dealer doing a competent job. Who knew? (To dealers: Just kidding)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i sport 2006 m6
That suck's usually a good paintless dent guy will explain it all to you and give you the option to drill or remove panels or whatever PLUS this guys spot for drilling is all wrong and they always plug it with silicon and rubber grommet. Sorry Ass Job !!!!!!