Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 AM
SPDSKTR SPDSKTR is offline
I'm a DlCK! So what?
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,004
Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
21.6 HP on a 2005 330i ZHP from SOFTWARE?!

I know the Shark Injector and Active Autowerke seem to be the most popular two, but...

1) Shark only gives about 10 HP.
2) AA claims 15 HP, but I've yet to see one dyno chart.

The guy who had it done said it was safe and the car runs just fine without putting the pedal to the floor, but it is significantly snappier (a 10% increase in horsepower will do that...). I asked him about fuel economy and should receive an answer today. Also... he has a ZHP and the chart reads out at "Flywheel Power". A ZHP making 199 HP at the flywheel seems a little low, but maybe that's just me?

Here's the chart he sent me in a PM:





Check him out at www.brentuning.com. He's located in Massachusetts, so it may not be practical for all.

Thoughts?

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 03-28-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:06 AM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
What's the altitude where this dyno was taken?. That'll also help to know. Higher the altitude... the less power it's going ot have. Sea level.... tons of power lol.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:12 AM
SPDSKTR SPDSKTR is offline
I'm a DlCK! So what?
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,004
Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
218.122 feet above sea level according to http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-goo...d-altitude.htm.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 AM
NoGuts NoGuts is offline
Registered User
Location: Rottenchester, NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
What's the altitude where this dyno was taken?. That'll also help to know. Higher the altitude... the less power it's going ot have. Sea level.... tons of power lol.
So, if it was below sea level, it'll be 2 tons of power?
__________________
..!.. (-_-) ..!..
2005 330i ZHP
The Last Of Her Kinds
Origin: BMW @ Munich, Germany
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 AM
SPDSKTR SPDSKTR is offline
I'm a DlCK! So what?
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,004
Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
The person who had the tune done said those numbers were WHP, but I don't rightly know. 200 HP at the flywheel does seem low for a ZHP at that altitude, no?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 AM
RSPDiver's Avatar
RSPDiver RSPDiver is offline
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
Location: SC
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,241
Mein Auto: 04 ZHP/4
15% driveline loss would get you about there, if it was running very healthy. So, they could be looking at (adding the delta after tune) to stock claimed crank HP, it's 268-ish. Not too shabby. Toss on some headers, and you're knocking on 300hp's door, potentially.
__________________
#232
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:44 AM
SPDSKTR SPDSKTR is offline
I'm a DlCK! So what?
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,004
Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSPDiver View Post
15% driveline loss would get you about there, if it was running very healthy. So, they could be looking at (adding the delta after tune) to stock claimed crank HP, it's 268-ish. Not too shabby. Toss on some headers, and you're knocking on 300hp's door, potentially.
ZHP cams + Custom tune + what I have already = :boink:
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 AM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
218.122 feet above sea level according to http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-goo...d-altitude.htm.
Humm that shouldn't make to big of a difference at all than. It does seem a bit low.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 AM
SPDSKTR SPDSKTR is offline
I'm a DlCK! So what?
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,004
Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Humm that shouldn't make to big of a difference at all than. It does seem a bit low.
I wonder if it's truly wheel horsepower. That seems much more plausible. :hmm:
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 AM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
I wonder if it's truly wheel horsepower. That seems much more plausible. :hmm:
Yeah that's what I'm thinkin. That would make a whole lot more sense.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 AM
ffej's Avatar
ffej ffej is offline
Tightrope walking
Location: in 2-ton shoes
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,564
Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
It's a load of sh!t. 220 to the wheels with just SW isn't possible with the motor without headers. I've seen enough of these things to know it's all hocus-poucs marketing.

You want power? get headers. SW on the M/S54 motor is a pretty good waste of good money.
__________________


Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM
smolck's Avatar
smolck smolck is offline
ROLL TIDE!
Location: Birmingham, AL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 22,336
Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
It's a load of sh!t. 220 to the wheels with just SW isn't possible with the motor without headers. I've seen enough of these things to know it's all hocus-poucs marketing.

You want power? get headers. SW on the M/S54 motor is a pretty good waste of good money.
Well, it was actually 20hp (+ or - 15hp)
__________________

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM
SPDSKTR SPDSKTR is offline
I'm a DlCK! So what?
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,004
Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
It's a load of sh!t. 220 to the wheels with just SW isn't possible with the motor without headers. I've seen enough of these things to know it's all hocus-poucs marketing.

You want power? get headers. SW on the M/S54 motor is a pretty good waste of good money.
The car in discussion has a drop-in filter... that's it. I already have headers and an ECIS intake and can hang with a New Edge 4.6L Mustang GT in a straight line. I'd like to know, exactly, how he can pull that kind of power from it. He also claims that the car of discussion was just flashed... no custom tune. Those figures came from the first pass.

Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
All this header talk is making me want to get headers now... SPD can you make a video of your car exhaust while the car is idling please?. I want to see how insane the fumes look without cats.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 AM
SPDSKTR SPDSKTR is offline
I'm a DlCK! So what?
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,004
Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
All this header talk is making me want to get headers now... SPD can you make a video of your car exhaust while the car is idling please?. I want to see how insane the fumes look without cats.
Idling? There are no fumes. I'll get a video clip uploaded this afternoon.

smolck got some nasty footage of second gear not wanting to work, though. And a couple other fly-bys.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Idling? There are no fumes. I'll get a video clip uploaded this afternoon.

smolck got some nasty footage of second gear not wanting to work, though. And a couple other fly-bys.
I'm curious because I plan to do headers to soon ish.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM
SPDSKTR SPDSKTR is offline
I'm a DlCK! So what?
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,004
Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
I'm curious because I plan to do headers to soon ish.


Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-28-2012, 02:47 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post


Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.
Sweet!. Thanks man, much appreciated. I heard stories of people who installed catless headers and it would just pour exhaust fumes out to where you can't even stand near or behind the car without getting light headed
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-28-2012, 02:52 PM
SPDSKTR SPDSKTR is offline
I'm a DlCK! So what?
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,004
Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Sweet!. Thanks man, much appreciated. I heard stories of people who installed catless headers and it would just pour exhaust fumes out to where you can't even stand near or behind the car without getting light headed
Oh... you can smell it, when sitting still with the windows down or standing around it with no wind. I don't stick my face in my exhaust tip, though, so it doesn't bother me.

Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Oh... you can smell it, when sitting still with the windows down or standing around it with no wind. I don't stick my face in my exhaust tip, though, so it doesn't bother me.

Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.
Lol. Well I may put some 400 cell cats on so it's not so bad. I just want to gain the power the stupid OEM ones have made me lose.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-28-2012, 05:06 PM
SPDSKTR SPDSKTR is offline
I'm a DlCK! So what?
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,004
Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Lol. Well I may put some 400 cell cats on so it's not so bad. I just want to gain the power the stupid OEM ones have made me lose.
Oh, you'll feel it. No doubt about it. Shortly after smolck installed them, we went on a drive so he could pick up his temporary car before the ZHP (radiator... lulz...). He said, "Open it up a bit, come on!" So I did. Barked from 1 to 2 and something new: 2 to 3. It was nuts. When the tire chirp from 2 to 3 occurred, he immediately said, "We have to race when I get this car!"

Ask him how that ended. :shhh:

[Insert "Fast & Furious quote about winning here.]

He still thinks it's faster, even with his 3.46, but I beg to differ. We've yet to find out.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-28-2012, 06:49 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Oh, you'll feel it. No doubt about it. Shortly after smolck installed them, we went on a drive so he could pick up his temporary car before the ZHP (radiator... lulz...). He said, "Open it up a bit, come on!" So I did. Barked from 1 to 2 and something new: 2 to 3. It was nuts. When the tire chirp from 2 to 3 occurred, he immediately said, "We have to race when I get this car!"

Ask him how that ended. :shhh:

[Insert "Fast & Furious quote about winning here.]

He still thinks it's faster, even with his 3.46, but I beg to differ. We've yet to find out.
Very awesome!. Yeah man your definitely getting me excited to get my headers. I'm just not looking forward to putting then on LOL.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is offline
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,047
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Very awesome!. Yeah man your definitely getting me excited to get my headers. I'm just not looking forward to putting then on LOL.
Hire a couple of 7-year-old kids to install the headers....their hands are just about the right size to get up in there....
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Hire a couple of 7-year-old kids to install the headers....their hands are just about the right size to get up in there....
exactly. When I install tham I'm just going to lift the engine to put them on. It'll be 10x easier to do it that way. But taking off intercooler piping and supercharger is a pain.... but it's ok I love my SC and intercooler <3. It talks to me while I drive it makes beautiful sounds
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 PM
RSPDiver's Avatar
RSPDiver RSPDiver is offline
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
Location: SC
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,241
Mein Auto: 04 ZHP/4
So back on topic (and I love the headers talk, vids, and discussion a lot, as I'm thinking of them also), the way many tunes work is by removing safety margins pre-programed by the factory, and maximizing octane requirements while subduing controls like air flow sensors and such until knock sensors kick in.

That said, the dyno charts I would expect from a tune that shows that kind of HP gain, would be a huge spike somewhere, not so much of a broad gain. I would suspect a possible padding of the gains could have been gained by running 89 fuel on the first run, perhaps on a hot engine with no fan, and then good gas (91 or 93 if they have it in Mass) once the engine had cooled. Hell, you could probably even adjust tire pressure to throw results. And environmental factors can be adjusted in some dyno software to throw results. So, in summary, I'd like to see some other results, and think it would be awesome if they could package their tune to be remotely installed to a couple of vehicles that were on a no-risk trial. If it's a 12hp gain with improved throttle response gain, proven on an independent dyno, I'm in all day long. It's just hard to believe that someone has unlocked over 20 hp from a stock M54 engine after about a decade. Not with all the big tuners out there.
__________________
#232
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms