Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Cool 2008 535i iDrive AUX/USB

I am trying to figure out how the USB port in the center console works, and what I can do with it. I HAVE searched old posts, though none of them seemed to be directly clear, or specific to my vehicle. I've seen where some versions of the iDrive let you import music and what not. Ihave tried all kinds of devices and it doesn't seem to like anything I do except accknowledge I have a device connected.

I was hoping that someone out there has it figured out and could briefly outline what it can and can't do.

Many thanks

Last edited by P4721CX; 03-28-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
If your car came with the iPod USB and 1.5mm connector, all you need is the "Y"-adapter and an iPod to start using it or just a thumb drive with MP3's. If not, then you need to read up the below link to get an idea of what's involved:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154839

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 03-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
I have a 2 GB Hewlett Packard USB stick that I download music to from my house computer and plug into my USB port in the center console to play the music. You have to set the radio on AUX. It should start reading the files on the USB and play the music. The car will list all the songs in alphabetical order. When I initially installed the USB stick, it took about 1 minute to read the stick. Then the screen said HP and listed the songs under that. Now it instantly starts playing as soon as I go into AUX. It will continue playing from where it left off when I last turned off the car. Or I can highlight the song I want, press the I-drive controller and play the selection.
I believe what you are referring to in regards to importing the music on the I-Drive is with the 2010 models that have an internal hard drive built into the car.
The exact memory stick I am using that works well is on the below link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-USB-Flash...item4163aa7ca2

PP, CWP, NAV, satelite radio, USB, Folding Rear Seats.

Last edited by 2chill; 03-28-2012 at 11:21 PM.