Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Need help configuring 335i

Hi Guys,

was working on finalising my MY 2013 335i and ran into some confusing options. Figured all ya bimmer nuts would relieve me of my misery,

1- Does it make more sense to get the Msport line vs 335i + dynamic handling package +sport transmission ? In other words does the Msport package include dynamic handling package and sport transmission . Haven't really seen any pictures of the aero kit....any links ?

2- I'm not a big fan of AWD but I do live in the NE where snow isnt too bad . A friend of mine who lives in Michigan has a Z4 with winter tires and he loves them. Do you think I'd get by on winter tires vs AWD ?

Help !
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_maverick View Post

2- I'm not a big fan of AWD but I do live in the NE where snow isnt too bad . A friend of mine who lives in Michigan has a Z4 with winter tires and he loves them. Do you think I'd get by on winter tires vs AWD ?

Help !
I'm not certain of the answer to your first question. Here's my take on number 2: AWD in the Northeast is not necessary. I live in Western Mass had a 2003 330i that I put a set of winter tires on and that car did better in the snow than any of my FWD cars with or without winter tires. BMW's traction control in combination with a good set of winter tires and a driver who doesn't act like a doofus in the snow will be perfectly fine.

That's not saying AWD (with winter tires) wouldn't give you better snow handling, but IMO, it's not necessary unless you live in the absolute worst of areas or are constantly climbing snow/ice-covered hills.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
The M Sport does not automatically include the dynamic handling or sport transmission options; you need to add them. bmwconfig.com does a pretty good job of showing you what's what, or google the 2013 F30 ordering guide (a .pdf doc) for the authoritative source.

For the aero kit, see here among other places. The big deal is the front bumper and air dam, which I think is much more attractive than the regular F30. I find the lower back bumper to be a little overdone, but it's okay. The big negative in my view is that in the US, the M Sport is not offered with fog lights.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgk330i View Post
The M Sport does not automatically include the dynamic handling or sport transmission options; you need to add them. bmwconfig.com does a pretty good job of showing you what's what, or google the 2013 F30 ordering guide (a .pdf doc) for the authoritative source.

For the aero kit, see here among other places. The big deal is the front bumper and air dam, which I think is much more attractive than the regular F30. I find the lower back bumper to be a little overdone, but it's okay. The big negative in my view is that in the US, the M Sport is not offered with fog lights.
I agree the front damper looks pretty slick, but can't get over the steering wheel. Also I forgot to mention that I was considering the 335i sportsline + aforementioned options. So in essence the Msport package (337) part of the Msport line ( ZMM ) only includes cosmetic changes ?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura TSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgk330i View Post

No Fog Lights? That is silly. I understand why they did it, but they should have just moved the fog lights elsewhere instead of getting rid of it.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
If I understand the options correctly, M-sport includes all of the options that are available on sport (and includes the "regular" sport suspension) and includes quite a lot of additional cosmetic changes. I am not aware of any M-sport actual performance enhancements, I believe it has the same brakes, steering, suspension, etc, that a sport line car does.

If you ask me, the adaptive handling package, from a driving point of view is a way better spend of your $$ compared to M sport. The dynamic handling packages includes the sportiest setup currently available for non M cars, includes active dampeners and also includes adaptive steering.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
So in essence the Msport package (337) part of the Msport line ( ZMM ) only includes cosmetic changes ?
The general consensus here is that you are correct. The original M Sport announcement (worldwide, not US-specific, IIRC) from a year or so ago made a few claims like a stiffer suspension and larger sway bars, but the US-specific announcement from a few months ago made no specific reference to functional performance parts. So, there's some ambiguity here, and I've never seen the contents of the M Sport package item 337 defined; it's especially ambiguous because there's another line item 715 "aerodynamic kit". So if the aero kit and the steering wheel are separate, then what's in 337?

Come August/September somebody will get one of the first US models and do an analysis, and then we'll all know more.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy966 View Post
no fog lights? That is silly. I understand why they did it, but they should have just moved the fog lights elsewhere instead of getting rid of it.
+1
Old 06-13-2012, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i sport 06 911S
Quote:
I agree the front damper looks pretty slick, but can't get over the steering wheel. Also I forgot to mention that I was considering the 335i sportsline + aforementioned options. So in essence the Msport package (337) part of the Msport line ( ZMM ) only includes cosmetic changes ?
You are correct. As far as we know, no perfomance changes w/ M sport package. I passed on it as I have a real issue with the rear view and prefer the interior choices on sportline. I like the m sport steering wheel but not enough to tolerate that butt. ( if its doable, I would gladly swap steering wheels w/ you if it was logistically possible)

M adaptive susp and sport steering ( m dynamic package in 2013) are options on either line. Same for 2TB auto trans.

My 335 went status 112 today. Waiting on production date.

Last edited by emtrey; 06-13-2012 at 12:09 PM.