Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
"Still, there are upsides in addition to the expected fuel saving. The 328i simply feels lighter-and is lighter (BMW says it weighs 165 fewer pounds than the latest 335i)-and more nimble than its six-cylinder stablemate. The suspension offers cosseting compliance and firm control through corners, and the brakes are marvelous." http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-drive-reviews

"The new electro-hydraulic power steering system reduces vibrations in the wheel and with it some feedback, but still transmits more road information than most cars on the road today. Turn in, and the 328i leans on its optional electronically variable dampers and independent suspension just as you would expect it to. It doesn't flop over or roll in -- it just leans smoothly and quickly, planting its tires on the ground and delivering almost perfectly neutral handling. Really, you'd have to be either the world's worst driver or intentionally trying to upset the chassis to get this car out of sorts."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1qrBxoy4J

No problem with its steering here either - http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621383

ps we shouldn't get carried away

Last edited by bm323; 04-01-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
must be a typo, i have seeen over 10 tests on the a4 and none are faster than 5.9, most are mid 6's
You can achieve that time in the A4, however after that the F30 is gone.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
must be a typo, i have seeen over 10 tests on the a4 and none are faster than 5.9, most are mid 6's
I haven't read the entire article yet but I'm also surprised by the times of the A4. It has 30 less HP and weighs 200 more pounds. Unless the Quattro system lets it hook up better it doesn't make any sense.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I haven't read the entire article yet but I'm also surprised by the times of the A4. It has 30 less HP and weighs 200 more pounds. Unless the Quattro system lets it hook up better it doesn't make any sense.
That TSI hp rating is underrated and makes a lot of trq down low. Combine it with Quattro and you can achieve that time.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
That TSI hp rating is underrated and makes a lot of trq down low. Combine it with Quattro and you can achieve that time.
Thanks for the information about it being underrated. It's still confusing due to the weight and previous test results of the A4.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325i ZSP
Quote:
Thanks for the information about it being underrated. It's still confusing due to the weight and previous test results of the A4.
yup, Audi plays a similar game with their engines, i.e. underrating. Take the GTI for example, "only 200bhp" but many dyno at around 210-215 or so, that's pretty significant.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Although the 0-60 times are impressive for the Audi if you look at the 1/4 mile trap speed it's clear that once the cars getting rolling the weight and quattro system began to play its role and the Audi begins to run out of steam.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Although the 0-60 times are impressive for the Audi if you look at the 1/4 mile trap speed it's clear that once the cars getting rolling the weight and quattro system began to play its role and the Audi begins to run out of steam.
Back in 2010 when I test drove both the A4 and 328i, the A4 definitely did not feel it accelerated faster. Maybe the newer model years are tuned more aggressively to keep up with the competition while they work on a facelift?

Unfortunately most buyers can only recognize the take off speed and 0-45 time in street conditions during a normal test drive. Also the 4 bangers may sound fine if you really push it to 7000 rpm in track like conditions, but how often one gets to do that in daily driving, much less in test drives?

Under relatively low speed, the 2.0T just sounded very coarse if you push it beyond 4500 rpm, this is true for both the A4 and the F30 N20, that is if you are used to the smooth I6 revving before. But for the Audi, Lexus and MB owners, there is no reference point, the N20 should be just as smooth.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Maybe the newer model years are tuned more aggressively to keep up with the competition while they work on a facelift?
In the review they specifically mentioned- it's A4's new gearbox that made the difference.

Last edited by accel; 04-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
In the review they specifically mentioned- it's A4's new gearbox that made the difference.
Thanks for the reminder. I do recall at the time the A4 salesman said next year they would have a 7spd auto tranny.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
What scares me the most is that C/D is usually dead-on with their reviews.
Also, they praised e90 very much. To the point, readers called them biased. To the point they called biased themselves. To the point they clarified - they do not get money from manufacturers for thier reviews.

I think they could just keep praising f30. If they liked it.

Every magazine's review is subjective. You just pick the one that's your's.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you want reviews on interior comfort or features, you need to read consumer report. I dont know about you, I bought my BMW because of its performance. If I want interior comfort or features, there are other cars that lost less and they are better in those areas than BMW.
I didn't buy a BMW because the performance wasn't there for the $. So I bought the other most expensive car possible, in the class.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
For all of you bashing the F20 based on the C and D article, here is exactly what they said: "Start the new turbo 4 cold, and its clicking and pulsing direct injectors make it sound, from the outside anyway, like you've fired a diesel. Once warm, the engine quiets down and excellent sound deadening keeps the clatter from approaching the driver's eardrums. It's 40-decibel idle is whisper quiet. Accelerate, and the 328i jets from 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, tying the Audi as the quickest non-Volvo of the test. A tiny bit of 4 cylinder coarseness asserts itself, but the engine revs almost as smoothly as the outgoing NA six. With 240 hp and 255 pound-feet of torque, the turbo four easily surpasses that old six's output. Power is delivered evenly from just off of idle all the way to the 7000 rpm redline. Not that the BMW is the only car here that shifted at redline. The 328i's new 8 speed auto-similar in design to the A4's auto-was deemed the best applied transmission in the test. Even after hammering the 2.0 liter for 300 miles, it returned the best fuel economy of the bunch-21 mpg."

In the test, it's powertrain rating won the test. This sounds like to me a great little engine that is smooth, flexible, fast and efficient. The NVH was 1 point behind the rest but it was way more flexible than the Audi 4 cylinder.
Huge issue for me is horrible brakes/stopping distance.

I value three things in my cars: handling, engine/transmission and brakes. BMW used to provide the best brakes in the class, amazing stopping power and modulation, near Porsche like.

191 foot braking distance? Are you kidding me?

The 2012 BMW 328 stops longer than a Toyota Landcruiser....173 feet versus 191 feet...

Suppose you could switch out the tires (should you have to do this on a brand new $40k German sport sedan?) but then when you do that, the fuel econ becomes much less compelling...because BMW is playing games with the fuel econ...first its over rated, and then you only acheive that rating if you have tires that stop longer than a Toyota SUV....

Nothing impressive about that engineering...so you stick with awful, low resistance rolling tires and stop longer than most SUVs, or switch the tires and take a significant hit on fuel economy...

WTF is going on here?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/road-test-digest

Last edited by tagheuer; 04-05-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
get the contis like i have, no brake problems at all, stops just as well as my e90, there is more pedal travel but the brakes perform fine
Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
get the contis like i have, no brake problems at all, stops just as well as my e90, there is more pedal travel but the brakes perform fine
so I gotta replace the tires as soon as I get the car?

And then I don't get the advertised fuel economy.

This is like a Toyota Prius fuel gain...most cars will get a few extra MPGs when you put rock hard, dogsh!t low rolling resistance eco tires on the car.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
I have had no problem deceiving the advertised fuel economy with stock sporty tires.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
I didn't buy a BMW because the performance wasn't there for the $. So I bought the other most expensive car possible, in the class.
The S4 is a very nice car, more performance for the money than the 335i and you donít see one in every street corner. I just bought a C7 A6 a few months ago, it has a tuned down version of your S4's 3.0 supercharged engine. The torque band on this engine is incredible when compare to the 535xi. The 535xi had some lag off the line, I am not sure if thatís due to the tranny, drive by wire or turbo lag. Whatever it is, itís not as fun to drive as the Audi.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer View Post

I value three things in my cars: handling, engine/transmission and brakes. BMW used to provide the best brakes in the class, amazing stopping power and modulation, near Porsche like.

The 2012 BMW 328 stops longer than a Toyota Landcruiser....173 feet versus 191 feet...

Suppose you could switch out the tires (should you have to do this on a brand new $40k German sport sedan?) but then when you do that, the fuel econ becomes much less compelling...because BMW is playing games with the fuel econ...first its over rated, and then you only acheive that rating if you have tires that stop longer than a Toyota SUV....

Nothing impressive about that engineering...so you stick with awful, low resistance rolling tires and stop longer than most SUVs, or switch the tires and take a significant hit on fuel economy...

WTF is going on here?

I don't like that BMW put low rolling resistance tires on a sport model but it's highly doubtful that changing to a more normal tire is going to hurt fuel economy significantly. It looks like 3-5% so at worse 1-2 MPG. It's all part of BMW's move towards a total efficient package along with the new engine, transmission, stop/start and other features.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I don't like that BMW put low rolling resistance tires on a sport model but it's highly doubtful that changing to a more normal tire is going to hurt fuel economy significantly. It looks like 3-5% so at worse 1-2 MPG. It's all part of BMW's move towards a total efficient package along with the new engine, transmission, stop/start and other features.
Take a look at these numbers between the E90 and F30, they are a lot closer than the C&D test. Surprisingly, the acceleration numbers are not that far off either.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...x-vs-four.html
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Take a look at these numbers between the E90 and F30, they are a lot closer than the C&D test. Surprisingly, the acceleration numbers are not that far off either.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...x-vs-four.html
What specific numbers are you referring to? The braking results I guess? It looks like the F30 stops shorter than the E90 in these tests.

I'm surprised that the F30 with low rolling resistance tires shows higher handling limits and is faster through the slalom than the E90 with all season tires.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 AM

contis ftw
Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
so I gotta replace the tires as soon as I get the car?

And then I don't get the advertised fuel economy.

This is like a Toyota Prius fuel gain...most cars will get a few extra MPGs when you put rock hard, dogsh!t low rolling resistance eco tires on the car.
i would make sure the car i ordered has the contis, no sense in getting a sport bmw with all season tires imo
Old 04-05-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:

WTF is going on here?

The 328i in Motor Trend group test was within 1ft of the best in test braking distance. Got to be some problem in the C&D test car there is no way the 328i stops in worse than a Landcruiser, that is ridiculous!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
The 328i in Motor Trend group test was within 1ft of the best in test braking distance. Got to be some problem in the C&D test car there is no way the 328i stops in worse than a Landcruiser, that is ridiculous!
didnt car and driver get a 5.4 second 0-60 in the new 335? yea, c&d testing is bogus...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
those the test numbers, unless the brakes were malfunctioning...the numbers are what they are. They discussed the long stopping distance specifically in the article, those numbers aren't a mistake.