Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer View Post
those the test numbers, unless the brakes were malfunctioning...the numbers are what they are. They discussed the long stopping distance specifically in the article, those numbers aren't a mistake.
They aren't a mistake but it's obvious that there's little consistency in the various test results and citing only one to make your point is specious at best and trolling at worse.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
They aren't a mistake but it's obvious that there's little consistency in the various test results and citing only one to make your point is specious at best and trolling at worse.
are you kidding me? This thread is about the Car and Driver comparo article where they discussed that result, among others. I'm not the one who posted this article or initially made reference to the horrible braking distance, many others have, and its in the article.

So I'm not sure why you are claiming I'm "trolling", no way on that pal, the whole point of this thread is to discuss the findings of the article, and its not like I intentionally went out of my way to find an obscure, inconsistent test result.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decelerate View Post
The brake distance for the 328 is disturbing to say the least. Hopefully the 335 doesn't have the same issue.
I just don't understand how BMW can get away with a sports sedan that brakes worse than an SUV...
Kind of tarnishes the notion of "the ultimate driving machine", and I was really looking forward to a test drive next week.
here's just one post (of many) that was highlighted by another person, is he a troll or being specious too?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Car & Driver's 335i stopped in 164 feet for what it's worth.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
are you kidding me? This thread is about the Car and Driver comparo article where they discussed that result, among others. I'm not the one who posted this article or initially made reference to the horrible braking distance, many others have, and its in the article.

So I'm not sure why you are claiming I'm "trolling", no way on that pal, the whole point of this thread is to discuss the findings of the article, and its not like I intentionally went out of my way to find an obscure, inconsistent test result.
You are using the Car and Driver test results as a blanket condemnation of the braking performance of all F30's. I'm pointing out and I apologize for using wording that was too strong, that there are a number of tests that show otherwise and that there is little consistency in test results from one media outlet to another.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
If the low resistance all season runflat tires are the cause of the long braking numbers, I sure hope BMW have stop using those tires. Braking numbers such as 60-0 in 17+ sec. belongs on a full size SUV, not a small sport sedan.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
You are using the Car and Driver test results as a blanket condemnation of the braking performance of all F30's. I'm pointing out and I apologize for using wording that was too strong, that there are a number of tests that show otherwise and that there is little consistency in test results from one media outlet to another.
agreed.

Do you have other tests of the F30 328 (not the 335) that show dramatically different braking results?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Do you have other tests of the F30 328 (not the 335) that show dramatically different braking results?
Not directly comparable, as only C&D uses 70-0:

Motor Trend had it 60-0 in 107 feet, which was better than all but MB 250@106 feet. This was in a comparison against almost identical cars as in C&D's test.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Button Pusher

Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner
Does anyone know if BMW puts different types of tires on Sport-Line F30s? The 328i they tested came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-season tires, 225/45R18. The 335i they tested had 19" wheels/tires, Bridgestone Potenza S001 (225/40 up front, 255/35 out back). Obviously the Bridgestones, being a proper summer tire, offer way better performance.

When I test drove a 335i Sport Line a couple weeks ago it had the "standard" 18" wheel setup which I believe were the same tires that came on C&D's 328i (the Pirelli Cinturatos). I thought the car felt pretty disconnected. I just went to bmwusa.com and you can't even select an option/accessory for 19" wheels (although it's there on bmwconfig.com for an MSRP of $900). I think this is pretty weak. The car should come with a proper summer tire even on 18" wheels.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
Does anyone know if BMW puts different types of tires on Sport-Line F30s? The 328i they tested came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-season tires, 225/45R18. The 335i they tested had 19" wheels/tires, Bridgestone Potenza S001 (225/40 up front, 255/35 out back). Obviously the Bridgestones, being a proper summer tire, offer way better performance.

When I test drove a 335i Sport Line a couple weeks ago it had the "standard" 18" wheel setup which I believe were the same tires that came on C&D's 328i (the Pirelli Cinturatos). I thought the car felt pretty disconnected. I just went to bmwusa.com and you can't even select an option/accessory for 19" wheels (although it's there on bmwconfig.com for an MSRP of $900). I think this is pretty weak. The car should come with a proper summer tire even on 18" wheels.
the sportline 328 comes with goodyear and pirelli which are more all season, and conti which is more summer(thankfully i got the contis)

same with the 335^

the 19" come with bridgeston s001
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
E90 vs F30 from the perspective of C&D

Let me start me with a disclaimer I am a fan of car & driver and still really enjoy my E90 328i sport package manual transmission.

In my collection of C&D back issues, I pulled the June 2009 test of my car versus A4, G37 and Acura TL. I reviewed the test spec and noted a few couple of items that stood out with the latest C&D magazine article of the F30.

Despite BMW adding various fuel savings measures that I don't actually want on my next car (low rolling resistance tires, electrical power assist steering, regenerative brakes and automatic stop & start), at the hands of C&D staff the E90 car got 25 mpg over 350 miles versus 21 mpg over 300 miles with the F30.

The other thing that stood out is the rolling 5-60 mph time (in my opinion a very important stat compared to high rpm launch). The E90 got 6.4 seconds in 2009 and the F30 got 6.5 seconds today.

When I test drove an X1 here in Canada last year with the N20, I was not that taken with the engine. I have had two turbocharged 2.0l 4 cyl cars before my BMW and understand the trade-off between NA engine and turbocharged. Don't get me wrong the N20 is pretty powerful and has a lot more torque than my car. But the power delivery of an engine that relies on revolutions rather than boost is more pleasing to me. To each his own as they say.

I am certain that the so so skidpad figure and very high 70-0 mph braking distance were caused by those all-season low rolling resistance tires on the F30. I just hope that the M-Sport package turns in better numbers due to better suspension set-up and proper high performance tires. I will definitely wait to read the test results of the M-Sport package before placing an order and more importantly test drive the M-Sport package car. When I change my E90 (that I still enjoy tremendously), I want my next car to be even better performing not a step backwards. Anyhow, here's to hoping that BMW succeeds with the M-Sport package F30.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max328i View Post
Let me start me with a disclaimer I am a fan of car & driver and still really enjoy my E90 328i sport package manual transmission.

In my collection of C&D back issues, I pulled the June 2009 test of my car versus A4, G37 and Acura TL. I reviewed the test spec and noted a few couple of items that stood out with the latest C&D magazine article of the F30.

Despite BMW adding various fuel savings measures that I don't actually want on my next car (low rolling resistance tires, electrical power assist steering, regenerative brakes and automatic stop & start), at the hands of C&D staff the E90 car got 25 mpg over 350 miles versus 21 mpg over 300 miles with the F30.

The other thing that stood out is the rolling 5-60 mph time (in my opinion a very important stat compared to high rpm launch). The E90 got 6.4 seconds in 2009 and the F30 got 6.5 seconds today.

When I test drove an X1 here in Canada last year with the N20, I was not that taken with the engine. I have had two turbocharged 2.0l 4 cyl cars before my BMW and understand the trade-off between NA engine and turbocharged. Don't get me wrong the N20 is pretty powerful and has a lot more torque than my car. But the power delivery of an engine that relies on revolutions rather than boost is more pleasing to me. To each his own as they say.

I am certain that the so so skidpad figure and very high 70-0 mph braking distance were caused by those all-season low rolling resistance tires on the F30. I just hope that the M-Sport package turns in better numbers due to better suspension set-up and proper high performance tires. I will definitely wait to read the test results of the M-Sport package before placing an order and more importantly test drive the M-Sport package car. When I change my E90 (that I still enjoy tremendously), I want my next car to be even better performing not a step backwards. Anyhow, here's to hoping that BMW succeeds with the M-Sport package F30.
This.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
I am very happy with my 19 in Bridgestone S001s but some of the other OEM tires sound like they have no business being on a sport package car.
How is the ride and noise of the S001?

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O