Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: audi quattro, f350, e90
Key fob battery ?

Doors aren't unlocking untill you hit the button like 5 times and have to be real close so I'm assuming the battery is dead..
What size battery does it take and what's a good way to pop the key open?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbonegro View Post
Doors aren't unlocking untill you hit the button like 5 times and have to be real close so I'm assuming the battery is dead..
Does you 2nd. key work any better?

If not, could be a receiver problem.

If the other key works O.K., then there are a few possibilities for the bad one before the battery is blamed.

Such as a gummed up button or previous water damage to it (under a previous owner?).

If keys are not rotated in use, the rechargeable battery can reportedly get in a discharged state where no amount of recharging will help.

And it does take a decent drive of some distance to recharge anyway.

In my experience, the keys can take a lot of recharging cycles, or OTOH, extended lack of use, without giving any problem.

If needed, battery replacement is technically possible as a DIY, but could be challenging, and your key won't look too good afterwards.

See:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=449434

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=582138
Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Too bad that very good DIY with photos on changing the battery in the key is lost somewhere. As I recall it was a number of years ago and there were some good tips on how to do it with the least "mess" on the key case.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Too bad that very good DIY with photos on changing the battery in the key is lost somewhere. As I recall it was a number of years ago and there were some good tips on how to do it with the least "mess" on the key case.
There are quite a few youtube videos of the procedure, but they don't inspire much confidence.

This is one of the better ones:

The point is that the battery may not be the problem.
It could be the switch contacts or the circuit board itself.

One of our forum members recently posted that they solved the problem by just cleaning the shaft of the key.
So it's best to first make sure that you have given a key the best chance of recharging properly before taking a knife to it.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbonegro View Post
What size battery does it take and what's a good way to pop the key open?
This is the closest key replacement battery.

For how to pop the key open, see:
- How to replace the old-style BMW square key battery (1) (2) & how to replace the rubber key pads in the square keys (1) (2) & what the red LED indicates on the old square key (1) & what can go wrong with a key and where to send it for repair (1) (2) (3) (4) & what battery to use in the new style 2000+ BMW E39, E46, E53, E85, etc. diamond key (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & youtube videos of diamond key repairs (1) (2) (3) & a square key to diamond key retrofit and transponder swap (1) (2) (3) (4) & diamond key to square key retrofit questions (1) & how to recharge your key out of your BMW and how long that key will last in the drawer before it needs that off-the-car recharging (1) & the details on swapping the BMW diamond key transponder (1) & the proper diamond key initializing or programming sequence (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & what to do if your only key is locked inside your bimmer (1) & a description of the various types of BMW Remote, Illuminated, Spare/Wallet, & Valet/Service keys (1) (2) & a list of diamond key EWS, FZV, & DWA functions (1) (2) & all about the 10-key limit to programming your own keys at home (1) & a description of the ignition key ISN (individual serial number) ten-second rule (1) & what to do if you lost your only diamond key (1) or what to do if your BMW key was stolen (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 02-26-2013 at 07:45 AM.